Hidden headlight motor differences?!

Stargazer

Reaction score
Just now I discovered why I probably keep having issues with the HH motor/switchplate and doors assembly.

Keep getting power from “switchplate switch“ to motor, when that contact should be open. Motor gets hot etc..

I took the motor out of the car, and bench tested it. Works flawlessly. I measured 12V or no Volts at the right contacts.
It turns the bar 180 degrees.
But, and this must be the problem, the headlight doors can only turn 90 degrees?!
This might explain why the gear doesn’t open the contact when it should…

Is it possible that this unit doesn’t belong in this car?

See video’s below

What year, make, model? A couple of things I've learned is that bench testing outside of the car can damage the motor. @Big_John can probably explain better.

1969 Chrysler 300

Yes I know about the chance of damaging. That's why I put on these steel weighty clamps.
The doors open without any effort manually btw?!

Last edited:
I remembered that you were looking for springs for this motor, so I went back to that thread to see if there was any insight... and I found this.

1664464229139.png

Since it's pretty recognizable that it's a '70 300, I'll tell you this is not the correct motor. There is no knob on the bottom like every other door motor I've seen. Didn't catch that in that thread.

Another thought.... Since you've been having issues with that switch plate on the motor, is it possible that only one set of contacts are working? That would explain the motor turning 360 degrees instead of 180. The gearing is probably 2:1 so that would work out.

I remembered that you were looking for springs for this motor, so I went back to that thread to see if there was any insight... and I found this.

View attachment 560637

Since it's pretty recognizable that it's a '70 300, I'll tell you this is not the correct motor. There is no knob on the bottom like every other door motor I've seen. Didn't catch that in that thread.
70, Aha!

Another thought.... Since you've been having issues with that switch plate on the motor, is it possible that only one set of contacts are working? That would explain the motor turning 360 degrees instead of 180. The gearing is probably 2:1 so that would work out.
Contacts work perfect now John. And measured contacts after putting in new spring, checks out too.
The motor does only turn 180 degrees.

Last edited:
So, someone checked the serial number on my motor. Turns out it´s 68 motor (made in 67). And these turn 180 degrees. So at some point a former owner put this one in our 69 Chrysler. Which needs a 90 degrees motor..
Wrong motor for this car.

Back