Hobby Upholstery shop setup and projects

Here’s another project that I did a year or so ago. My wife found a chair she liked on Marketplace. It had the true ‘70’s vibe and smelled like it was the official smoking chair. So instead of leaving it there she gave them the $10 and brought it home. The fabric felt that if you were to sit on it, it would turn to dust. So she got it home and asked if I could fix it. I had never done the scalloped rolls, so figured I could reverse engineer them.
I had some challenges getting the rolls even, but in the end turned out ok.

Again I had a good pattern. I couldn’t find a before disassembly pic.

IMG_2946.jpeg
IMG_2962.jpeg
IMG_2964.jpeg
IMG_2986.jpeg
IMG_2987.jpeg
IMG_2990.jpeg
IMG_2991.jpeg
IMG_2989.jpeg

Now the rebuilding. (Winter 2020) I think after this project I got my new sewing machine. The trick with the rolls was to use a little bit of tack spray to help hold it in place, but not too much so that you can’t massage out the lumps.
IMG_2995.jpeg
IMG_2996.jpeg
IMG_2997.jpeg
IMG_2998.jpeg
IMG_3023.jpeg
IMG_3024.jpeg
IMG_3026.jpeg
IMG_3033.jpeg
IMG_3035.jpeg
IMG_3034.jpeg

You may see a theme here. If I have a pattern I can easily figure it out. I am starting to learn to take into account the previous stretching of the fabric and correct for it. Also mirror image is important from side to side. If one side is over stretched, you can usually use the opposite side flipped over to trace the shape.
I need a little more experience before I can just drape a piece of material over a frame and cut it out. I am starting to learn.

One last lesson. When removing staples with a sharp staple remover keep your other hand away from the points. You will slip and get snake bit.
IMG_7898.jpeg
IMG_7899.jpeg

I bought three rolls of tool box drawer liner and black duct taped them together as a work bench protector. Also use a drip tray for the assembly and disassembly.

image.jpg

I have great respect for those who work with fabrics. Metals, wood and rigid plastics are "dimensionally stable", while fabrics twist, stretch and distort so easily.
Your skill is amazing. Lindsay

Back