How Accurate are Paint Gauges?

Stormer

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well, according to the paint gauge at the survivor tent, the Monaco was painted at some point.

Looks like she's gonna have to go to Europe....

Well, according to the paint gauge at the survivor tent, the Monaco was painted at some point.

Looks like she's gonna have to go to Europe....

From talking with Bob I seem to recall him saying the car was completely disassembled at some point, long before he got it.. I thought it had been repainted but wasn't sure, didn't wanna stir the pot

Even the oldest and most properly done repaint should Show some traces with Close inspection. Just send it over to me to have a look.
I'll send it back to you when I'm finished, I promise. ;)
I don't see this a big issue though in the light of WIW when it Comes to C-bodies if the paintjob is of a good Quality and done back in the day as a single stage. Many would even prefer a good clearcoat repaint I guess, not counting me though. ;)

The paint gauges are pretty accurate. I now a guy who uses one buying used cars. Can find out which fenders have been repainted and knows what the basic factory millage should be.

Another question would be, are all paint surfaces of the same thickness, or differences in several Areas.

Another question would be, are all paint surfaces of the same thickness, or differences in several Areas.
I know what my guess would be...

zvtx6t.jpg

I know what my guess would be...

zvtx6t.jpg

Holy Hanna! I started coughing just looking at that picture! On second thought, that must be staged, there is no mist cloud or over-spray. those cars seem to be going through the heat booth at that point as well. So back to the OP, they actually test the paint in the survivor's tent?

Yes, they test the paint in the survivor tent. Paint on the Monaco varies from .002 to .007. Supposedly the factory paint should have been around .004 and whats left should be in the .002 range.

Oh well, now I don't feel so bad about selling the car. I'll offer it here first but it has to be gone by winter.

Ok, so wet-sand and buff the paint with a fine compound, that should take .002 of the number...

It depends on the brand and type of coating thickness gage.

We get a lot of them into our calibration lab and some are more accurate than others.

Did you see what type it was? Mechanic measurement or "electronic" type measurement? Maybe a brand name?

I have three issues... first is the type of measuring device. If they walked up to the car with a cheap POS mechanical magnet gage, then there's no way it's accurate enough.

Second is wax thickness. Is the wax removed on the spots checked? I'm not sure of the film thickness of several coats of carnuba or Zaino.... But it needs to be addressed.

Third is my own observations on auto paint lines... Repainting a panel or the entire car happens quite often. How can they say that every car came through the line without corrected flaws? Does a factory repaint or repair disqualify the car as "original" even though that's the way it drove off the car hauler and into the dealership?

Then there's repairs at the dealers before sale for shipping damage.

let us know when it has to go, Ross.
I am absolutly not into Slabs but I could offer it for sale on a german board if you need help.
I can also forward you some european homepages for advertising

Carsten

Then there's repairs at the dealers before sale for shipping damage.

VERY GOOD POINT!!! My 2012 Ram had scratches on the tailgate when I bought it. Some dumb *** walking through the dealership parking tried to use a pocket knife to pop the "High Output Diesel" tag off the tailgate. Before I took delivery the dealership sent the tailgate to their body shop to repaint and reapply the tag. No one's going to tell me that the tailgate is not "Original Survivor" in 40 years because of that.

Back