How Do I convert AutoTemp to Manual - 1969 Imperial Lebaron

side_show

Reaction score
Hey!

I'm in the middle of a resto-rod of a 69 Imperial Lebaron (Don't worry I'll post pictures soon!)

The owner before me had hacked in a manual heater switch since there is an issue with the AutoTemp .... and man is it a nightmere!

I'm at the point where I want to take out the AutoTemp and put in a manual system.

Does any of you fine gentlemen know what other Mopars came with a compatable system that I can use to get this POS AutoTemp the hell out?!?!

IMPORTANT: I've removed the A/C system, So any compatable car wont need it.

Thanks

Welcome! Somebody here will know the answer to your question & these guys love resto-rods. ;)

Post some pictures ASAP.

I'm at the point where I want to take out the AutoTemp and put in a manual system.

Does any of you fine gentlemen know what other Mopars came with a compatable system that I can use to get this POS AutoTemp the hell out?!?!
Well, WELCOME, Bro!!!
Well, let's see. My advice is to find a parts car or register over at WeCrash and check out cars they are parting.
You need the manual system from any 1974-1978 C-body.
In that system, you need the heater box, dashboard controls, and vacuum lines.
The correct heater valve is still available new. In the heater box, replace the heater core and the evaporator core, and blower motor with new ones. Again, all still available.
You should be all set from there.
And I wants PICS!!! LOL.

Manual A/C box:

2s0xpqw.jpg

Stan, how is your A/C adventure/work going? Any progress on it? Sorry if i might have missed something as i really havnt looked. Last i saw you had the fans in, and it seemed to help a tiny bit. Want to get my a/c working good as well, but gonna wait till i get ross's big block in. I know i have to change atleast 1 of the pressure lines to go from small block to the big block.

The plan to yank the ATC II is in place. Currently, I have no need to do it because it's working as it should. When the day comes when it becomes a problem I have all the stuff on the shelf ready to go. Right now, it ain't broken and I may get run over by a bus tomorrow. It works and i have a backup plan.
The R134 conversion itself wasn't enough to cool things down adequately. The parallel flow condenser and the dual pusher fans made all the difference in the world. The %$#-ing blower motor replacement was a big improvement also. So, the system works as it should, the a/c is cold, the heat is hot, and all the controls function as they should. That's saying a lot for Florida.

v6t3le.jpg

Well, WELCOME, Bro!!!
Well, let's see. My advice is to find a parts car or register over at WeCrash and check out cars they are parting.
You need the manual system from any 1974-1978 C-body.
In that system, you need the heater box, dashboard controls, and vacuum lines.
The correct heater valve is still available new. In the heater box, replace the heater core and the evaporator core, and blower motor with new ones. Again, all still available.
You should be all set from there.
And I wants PICS!!! LOL.

Thank you!!!

Again just to make sure i was clear .... I've removed the A/C system. is this the proper one? or is there another i should go with?

All that stuff is direct bolt in? as in my vents/defrost vent/firewall yada yada .... and more importantly does the control part bolt right into the dash? or will i need to do some tom foolery with the dash to get it to blend?

and can i use the heater core / condenser box / vacuum actuators that are all linked up to the box?!?! I JUST rebuilt them all and installed it and realized it was all f*cked up ....

Also, What vacuum canisters under the hood can I get rid of now that the A/C is tossed?

Pics to follow in my next post!!! .... have to upload and edit them.

Which site is better for posting build threads and questions? this one or c-body dry dock?

Thanks gentlemen!

HERE WE GO!

Heres the current ride height: I threw a fender on to set the ride height.
Lowered 4" in the back and about 2" or 3" in the front
(I lowered the back and set the front to match ... so i dunno how much it is.)
upn6j.jpg

Front ride height
fISLc.jpg

Rear ride height (not sure if the fender skirts are goin back on ... gota see how it looks hooked up)
Efimw.jpg

Pretty much the state she's in now (Loading up to take it to the exhaust shop)
sf6XB.jpg

Bumper rechromed and grill powdercoated semi gloss black
Bs2ei.jpg

Enigine Bay! ... Its come a long way since this picture, pullies / sparkplug cables / cooling lines etc all finished now .... I had it running breifly drippin gas in the carb
7S86b.jpg

Heres a shot of the exhaust .... Dual with a crossover and 2 cherry bombs ... ocmin out infront of the rear wheels
dqp0r.jpg

Exhaust exit location (infront of rear wheels)
QL6zu.jpg

and of course ... my buddy (He's really the boss of the shop) .... Diesel
2aDbX.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!!!

Again just to make sure i was clear .... I've removed the A/C system. is this the proper one? or is there another i should go with?

No..."proper would be a non Autotemp AC setup from a 69-73 C body.

All that stuff is direct bolt in? as in my vents/defrost vent/firewall yada yada .... and more importantly does the control part bolt right into the dash? or will i need to do some tom foolery with the dash to get it to blend?

Again no...Stan's set up is from a 74-78 and would take some modification to work. For a "bolt in" you want the set up from a 69-73 C Body.

Too bad my parts car is gone, your in Toronto, I'm only about 1/2 hour east of you, it had the complete set up you would have needed, maybe I can call the guy who bought it about the Heater parts.

Nick

Too bad my parts car is gone, your in Toronto, I'm only about 1/2 hour east of you, it had the complete set up you would have needed, maybe I can call the guy who bought it about the Heater parts.

Hey Nick! That woulda been awesome! If you can give the guy a shout I'd be very happy.

and yes I live right downtown (university and dundas area) ... the car is at my Mother and Fathers place in Georgetown. usually where i am on the weekends .... If you want to stop by for a beer and check out what we got going on let me know and I'll send you my info!

Later

LA

Back