How do you roll a fender lip to fit wider tires?

Reaction score
I have new 15x8 (4.5" backspacing) wheels with 275 wide tires. They fit good and look better. However when I turn right at a decent speed the passenger side sidewall makes contact with the inner fender lip. It seems I need to roll the fender on the passenger side. Eastwood makes a tool, but I don't think it would work for the "skirted" fender on a '71 300.
What methods have worked for any of you? I want decent results, however this is not a show car, so good enough would be good enough...

What works for me on large tires is first check that you springs bushings and springs are up to spec. Check axel play, may need adjusting.
But good solid polyurethane shackle bushings, tight spring assembly and good front bushing go a long way.
After that I will check on fender clearancing.
Sorry I did not give you a direct answer.

What works for me on large tires is first check that you springs bushings and springs are up to spec. Check axel play, may need adjusting.
But good solid polyurethane shackle bushings, tight spring assembly and good front bushing go a long way.
After that I will check on fender clearancing.
Sorry I did not give you a direct answer.
New front bushings, shackle bushings, leaf springs, and green (non-adjustable) axle bearings. There is a little more room on the driver side, but only about 1/4" on the passenger. I'm afraid it's time to roll.

O.K.
I will have it Known that I have Absolutely NO Wish to Ever be Quoted on This. LOL
But, When We were Young & Stupid (Now I'm Old & Stupid) What we did was to Place a Short Length of Pipe between the Tire & the Guard (Fender?)
Stand back & have the Driver Drive Forward, But Definitely Stand Back!
It has the Effect of Following the Shape of the Guard & Flaring the Lip.
An Extremely ROUGH way of doing things But in Them Days the Cars were considered to be Old Junkers Nor Classics.
It Breaks my Heart to Think of some of the Cars we Trashed in Demo Derbies & Just General Bush Bashing.
PLEASE NOTE: This Tale is Told for Amusements Sake Do NOT Attempt this Trick with anything Half-Decent.
Regards Tony.M

Because of the unique shape of the skirted fender lip you could tape a line and use a cutoff wheel to cut it out. Ive done this in the past.

I have new 15x8 (4.5" backspacing) wheels with 275 wide tires. They fit good and look better. However when I turn right at a decent speed the passenger side sidewall makes contact with the inner fender lip. It seems I need to roll the fender on the passenger side. Eastwood makes a tool, but I don't think it would work for the "skirted" fender on a '71 300.
What methods have worked for any of you? I want decent results, however this is not a show car, so good enough would be good enough...
This:

https://www.eastwood.com/autobody/fender-roller.html

I and many others have used this on old Mustangs.

With the LS swap, I'd say use the Phord rear end, the one from an Exploder would have disc brakes and be narrower too. Perfect answer to all the issues. J/K

I did figure this out a while ago (but never updated the thread...)

With the rear shocks unbolted the axle dropped enough to use a Summit fender roller. Because of the flat skirt at the top I just had to change the length of the arm depending on where I was working on the fender. No more tire rubbing.

Back