How much to pay for a fusie in 2021 ?

Everyone has their preference but for me I like them all. If I had my choice of a Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth fusie my decision would be based on condition number one, color number two and options number three.

IMHO, prices are all over the place, but in reality, when you see what you really want, you have to ask "Is that worth it to me?".

You have to factor in shipping and whatever costs to get the car into France, so take all that into consideration.

The other thing that I will advise, and this little tidbit was given to me by someone that has restored some high end Mopars, "buy the best car you can afford". That even goes at the project car level.

Figure out a range of what you want. Maybe there's some that you would never want. Then just start looking and zeroing in on the car you want. Look it over (in your case, have one of us look it over) and go back to my first sentence, "Is it worth it to me?" and then make it happen if you want it.

^^this too^^

As usual, @Big_John is on target.

1972 4dr NY was the first American car I was close to buy.
That was in 2001. It was a turquoise sedan, nice car with very limited surface rust in the trunk.
You need to talk to @21_forever given that he owns a 1972 turquoise Newport and lives in France.

PS: Feel free to PM me if you want help locating a 1972 New Yorker. Knowing about color preferences would help. If you're looking for a turquoise NYB, though, be aware that it's my favorite color on a fusie and that I am looking for one myself :)

Maybe, but they are also the most plentiful by far. When I see a EU guy looking. They usually are specific except " fuselage" rust fred or ten grand usually follow their request. That to me implies C,D or P doesn't matter much.

yes, Chryslers are plentiful in general.
It helps of course why they are around in bigger numbers, too.
I always know&knew a certain amount of people asking for 69-71 300s. Most of them willing to pay good money for a nice car with good colours&options that fit their needs.
On the other end I never knew anyone overhere asking for a 70 Polara/Monaco in a certain colour with options. Despite myself:lol:

Keep in mind the majority of european buyers in the US are flippers/dealers. Therefore they aren't that specific in their wishes. As you wrote. Nice, clean, rustfree is always wanted. No projects at all. Priced cheap helps them making a profit.

The final active buyers in europe itself pay a very different price in the end and spent a lot of money for their final purchase buying it "road ready".

Carsten

Maybe, but they are also the most plentiful by far. When I see a EU guy looking. They usually are specific except " fuselage" rust fred or ten grand usually follow their request. That to me implies C,D or P doesn't matter much.

All I can say is that I have listed both Dodges and Chryslers overseas and the Chryslers sell almost immediately and the Dodges usually take awhile to sell and never at the same price for a vehicle in comparable condition.

Carsten is correct, folks like the hidden headlight appearance and the clean/sporty look of the front ends that result. It is a real question in my mind as to what the product planners and designers in the Dodge studio were thinking when some Sport Furys got hidden headlights in 1970 -1971 and Dodge, supposedly the upscale brand by comparison, had none to offer in any C body model. In my mind that was a huge marketing mistake but at least was finally corrected in 1972-73 for the Dodge Monacos.

Also if you believe that the bucket seats in the 1971 models of Dodges and Plymouths versus Chrysler 300s/optional in Newports are comparable in terms of comfort, I can't agree at all. The Chrysler bucket seats also last far longer. I would add that the 1971 New Yorker seats were hardly any better than those in the Dodges and Plymouths since they had flat seat bottom cushions as well and due to their complex pattern in the lower seat cushion, didn't last any longer than the seats in the Dodges/Plymouths. Having had plenty of both Dodges and Chryslers my comparisons are based on a good amount of seat time in both, not just primarily one of the brands.

Last edited:
Ok that's a big question here!
How much is a reasonable price for an average condition 2 doors C Body?
I'm not talking about highly optioned or rare car but rather an honest 2 doors car with 383 or 440 and automatic transmission, without major rust or damage?

I know that it may sound dumb but living in Europe, I have no clues how much is right because here, C bodies are more than rare under 10k euros.

Thanks for your help!

I think you are in trouble honestly.
10k EUR isn't much if you consider the costs.
It is not only buying but transportation to the US harbour, container shipping, unloading of container, customs/taxes/fees, getting it transported to your place. Then fixing it it up to pass local inspection. Often meaning brake work, front end work etc.

So having it on the road for 10k EUR: I can't see it

Carsten

yes, Chryslers are plentiful in general.
It helps of course why they are around in bigger numbers, too.
I always know&knew a certain amount of people asking for 69-71 300s. Most of them willing to pay good money for a nice car with good colours&options that fit their needs.
On the other end I never knew anyone overhere asking for a 70 Polara/Monaco in a certain colour with options. Despite myself:lol:

Keep in mind the majority of european buyers in the US are flippers/dealers. Therefore they aren't that specific in their wishes. As you wrote. Nice, clean, rustfree is always wanted. No projects at all. Priced cheap helps them making a profit.

The final active buyers in europe itself pay a very different price in the end and spent a lot of money for their final purchase buying it "road ready".

Carsten

Yet most of the road worthy polaras are there. Someone wanted them.

I think you are in trouble honestly.
10k EUR isn't much if you consider the costs.
It is not only buying but transportation to the US harbour, container shipping, unloading of container, customs/taxes/fees, getting it transported to your place. Then fixing it it up to pass local inspection. Often meaning brake work, front end work etc.

So having it on the road for 10k EUR: I can't see it

Carsten

And the euro road inspections are very strict on frame and body rust as I recall from my time in England, not so much in Southern Ill

It is not only buying but transportation to the US harbour, container shipping, unloading of container, customs/taxes/fees, getting it transported to your place.

If you could ballpark a number for us, what would a buyer in Germany expect to pay to ship a car overseas?

3000,- euro,s

inland transport / shipping / tax /douane costs.........

:wideyed:
Any idea if the shipping costs of a car from Europe to the states would be much different?
I can't say I've ever seen any coming back this way once it's gone overseas.

All I can say is that I have listed both Dodges and Chryslers overseas and the Chryslers sell almost immediately and the Dodges usually take awhile to sell and never at the same price for a vehicle in comparable condition.

Carsten is correct, folks like the hidden headlight appearance and the clean/sporty look of the front ends that result. It is a real question in my mind as to what the product planners and designers in the Dodge studio were thinking when some Sport Furys got hidden headlights in 1970 -1971 and Dodge, supposedly the upscale brand by comparison, had none to offer in any model. In my mind that was a huge marketing mistake but at least was finally corrected in 1972-73 for the Dodge Monacos.

Dodge allready was selling hidden healights cars with the B-body chargers..........maybe that,s why...

3000,- euro,s

inland transport / shipping / tax /douane costs.........

I think Martin is on the cheap side.
Container shipping, unloading, douane costs are the same for every car no matter of its value.

US inland transportation does depend on where you buy the car and where the closest harbour is.
If it is close to the harbour: affordable.
But if you buy a car in the midwest and need to ship it to NJ or Los Angeles. You can spent easily a grant for that alone.
If it is a very nice and valuable car and you want a safe transport you order enclosed trailer shipping. Then you can spent easily up to two grant for the job.
Paid that to get a car from Denver to LA safely in example.

tax does of course depend on the value of the car.
Expensive car=higher impot taxes
Shipping it to Rotterdam/NL means currently import tax of 10% for classic cars. Not only the purchase price of the car but everything (US transportation, container shipping, unloading, douane costs etc).

So EUR 3.000 is a cheap car close to the harbor but if you buy a 20k $ car and it is central in the US you can quickly pay EUR 5.000 (around 6k $)

Carsten

These guys do that, and the knuckleheads here in the states say...Wish I was closer...thats too far.

Clowns.

Last edited:
:wideyed:
Any idea if the shipping costs of a car from Europe to the states would be much different?
I can't say I've ever seen any coming back this way once it's gone overseas.

I shipped a car back a long time ago. A 1958 Chrysler 300D

a couple of numbers:
half container from NJ to Rotterdam: 1.000 $
half container from Los Angeles to Rotterdam: 2.000 $

That is just shipping, no loading or unloading.

A price from Bremerhaven (germany) to Baltimore (Roll on Roll off) for a fuselage C-body was around 2.200 $ back in 2017.
If you import a classic American car back to the US: no import tax

Carsten

I prefer non concealed headlights

At least the Dodge B body studios knew what most customers liked and more than met their preferences with one of the most sought after collector cars ever.........................

AYhSKXUeLpuIZ_q7Bd80te-aR01ePKK00cc6Sui3p0OtFKvETXslsnMCsnCrwJDPS0r7L6G82wAsc8R0XpNuJvuEBlRdcgxE.jpg

I prefer non concealed headlights
At least the Dodge B body studios knew what most customers liked and more than met their preferences with one of the most sought after collector cars ever.........................

View attachment 437909
Dodge had the muscle cars covered...
- Charger
- Super Bee
- Coronet R/T
- Dart/Demon
- Challenger

The Polara/Monaco was designed to appeal to a different audience then the muscle cars, as well as be useful for Law Enforcement/Taxi Fleets. Dodge wanted the Polara/Monaco to stand on their own. They wanted to be different then its siblings. No gimmicks. I think they designed the perfect C body. It's 50 years later, and here we are discussing them.

"If you expect the good things in life...you could be Dodge material"

Job well done.

Back