How to access the fuse box on 74-78 new yorkers

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I found the fuse box on my 78 NYB. The problem is that I can't access it since most of it is under the metal lower dash plate area. I can only see and access the first fuse if I bend up like a pretzel to get near the fuse box. My question is: does that fuse box slide out so you can see and access the fuses. Is there a bolt or screw holding the fuse box in place? I have the electrical service manual for the NYB but it doesn't say anything about accessing the fuse box.

It's hard to explain, so you just have to go in and finagle with it and then you'll see how easy it is.
It was designed to drop down and be accessible by simply sliding it off a bracket that is attached to the dash frame.

23mlc21.jpg

303afwi.jpg

Thanks again Commando! You are very helpful. I hope I'm not a nuisance on this site.:sSig_thankyou:

It's hard to explain, so you just have to go in and finagle with it and then you'll see how easy it is.
It was designed to drop down and be accessible by simply sliding it off a bracket that is attached to the dash frame.

Never knew that............Good information!

Thanks again Commando! You are very helpful. I hope I'm not a nuisance on this site.:sSig_thankyou:
Ask away all you want.
So many people have pitched in to help me that it's an honor if I can contribute a little back about the 74-78 C's.

Last edited:
my '75 new yorker ther is a little thumb screw at the bottom of the dash to the left of the steering column twist it and the fuse box folds down on a hinge so you can get to the fuses easier

Back