How to install temp gauge while still keeping dummy light?

I wanted to thank you warmly for these very instructive explanations, it helped me to solve my problem.

SHAREit

Last edited:
What engine is this on?

On my 68 440 you can eliminate all of that mess. Put the dummy light back where it belongs and have the gauge in it's own port. The port that is circled was available, located on the passenger side below the heater hoses. On some RB's of different vintage there is a port on the dirvers side. I'd look around a little bit.

Those 1/8" NPT ports work well enough, unless you've dedicated it to a thermostatic relay ground switch, as many of us do. That's why I like getting that Dorman 902-3012 ( https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...alast-dorman-water-outlet-902-3012/141721_0_0)
thermostat housing/water inlet I use, drill and tap it for a temperature probe, and roll on with all my thermostatic goodies working in harmony.

Those 1/8" NPT ports work well enough, unless you've dedicated it to a thermostatic relay ground switch, as many of us do. That's why I like getting that Dorman 902-3012 ( https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...alast-dorman-water-outlet-902-3012/141721_0_0)
thermostat housing/water inlet I use, drill and tap it for a temperature probe, and roll on with all my thermostatic goodies working in harmony.

I like how it says "Material: Metal"..... what type of metal did you end up with?

I like how it says "Material: Metal"..... what type of metal did you end up with?

Non-ferrous for sure. Aluminum VERY likely. Easy to drill and tap. I tapped it to a 3/8" NPT, use a Stewart Warner capillary tube gauge in it, and get very accurate, fast changing results, as it gets coolant as it passes the thermostat. The ONLY caveat I warn folks of, aside from threading aluminum is that one should take a little care with the thermostat, to insure it opens fully with that capillary bulb sticking into the flow path. Using RobertShaw thermostats works best for good flow. Why folks don't like this funky inlet/housing IDK, as I've been blessed with flawless performance from this one. I reckon cheap, sand cast aluminum isn't well thought of, fair enough, but I've got good value from it for all that.

Back