HP manifolds finally installed

What do you think about this idea to hit the exhaust manifolds with? Dry Graphite Lubricant. Also no exhaust gaskets or gaskets on a 440? My guess if aluminum heads use a gasket?

Last edited:
I stopped using gaskets on my exhaust manifolds 15+ years ago...because they will eventually fail and you end up with annoying exhaust leaks. I just smear on some high temp RTV and bolt them in place....not had a leak between the manifold and head since going this route. Same thing with flanged head pipes....just RTV and bolt them tight.

Aluminum heads too I presume? Thanks

No I only have iron heads....but I would not change my methods for aluminum either.

I actually watched the video and I have never used dry graphite...but sounds like it might do the job....worth a try! As for having the manifold flanges machined that is up to you, I have never once done this on all the old manifolds I have used, and my RH HP manifold on the wagon was so rusted and pitted on that surface I thought for sure it would fail....not a single leak in all the years and miles I have put on the motor.

Last edited:
Finally remembered to grab a couple better pics of my poorly prepped HP manifolds with the eastwood coating. ;) I have never touched these up in close to 10 years of having them on the motor, and close to 15K miles with months/years sitting outside in all kinds of weather.

q7lFvVUh.jpg

8yq96ePh.jpg

Back