HVAC question

prd2bdf

Reaction score
My 1973 Newport has a small issue. I’m planning on getting the AC back online but it seems that my temperature adjustment cable isn’t connected to my lever inside the car. I’m not sure if it’s broken or not. There is no drag on the lever which tells me it’s not connected somehow.

Is there a way to reconnect the cable and in the worst case scenario, is the cable itself replaceable?

Is there a way to reconnect the cable and in the worst case scenario, is the cable itself replaceable?
First of all, you need to look at the cable.
Impossible to answer your question otherwise.
If you have to reconnect the cable, yes, there is a way. Crawl under the dash.
Worst case scenario: yes the cable is replacable.

1690832461799.png

Do I need to remove the glovebox or anything? Or it can be done entirely without removing parts? I guess that’s what I’m trying to ask. I don’t want to unnecessarily remove parts

Do I need to remove the glovebox or anything? Or it can be done entirely without removing parts? I guess that’s what I’m trying to ask. I don’t want to unnecessarily remove parts
You're question actually is, is it a pain in the *** to get at. Yes, it is a big PITA. You are absolutely going to be on your back, crawling under the Dash with a flashlight. Good luck.

First thing to remove would be any HVAC flexible or hard ducting behind the lower edge of the instrument panel.

Seems like that is a two-piece cable. One cable hooks to the level, then to an intermediary linkage about 1/2 way to the water valve, with an electrical switch (to turn the a/c compressor off after the heat lever moves about 1/2 way to HOT, then the cable which goes to the water valve itself.

Hopefully, nothing is broken or missing, other than the round, push-on retainers which hold the cable to the levers and such it moves. You might download the Chrysler parts manual at www.mymopar.com for exploded views.

Take care,
CBODY67

Just having done one for @73 New Yorker here is the easy way to do it. First remove the center dash duct work beneath the steering column.
Next remove the radio assemb. that will give you access to to the A/C heater controls. There are two 3/8th nuts holding them in place Remove them and remove the vac hose controls retainer clip and separate that vac. connection. Tilt the controls down and the temp cable will be visible. Remove the clip, (be carefull as it a hard to find replacements and they love to fall in nooks and crannies not visible) and disengage the cable from the controls. Next disengage the clip at the heater valve and remove temp cable. If you have some mechanics wire, cut a 2.5 foot piece and wrap it through the eyelet of the cable several times several times around the cable housing. Remove the upper part of the Glove box. When removed it you will see the temp cable going through the fire wall. Pull it through gently, the mechanics wire should follow through. Transfer the mechanics wire to the new replacement cable and reinsert mechanics wire through the fire wall and attach to the heater control valve. Snake out the old temp control cable noting how it runs through the dash and install the remaining heater cable. Reinstall the A/C heater controls, Radio and center ductwork. Not really that hard.

Last edited:
First of all, you need to look at the cable.
Impossible to answer your question otherwise.
If you have to reconnect the cable, yes, there is a way. Crawl under the dash.
Worst case scenario: yes the cable is replacable.

View attachment 608675
commando1 do you have a source for the cable pictured?

Back