I have a chance maybe to buy a junk '57 Imperial convertible

MAXWEDGECHAR

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I may have a chance to “Save” a very derelict ’57 Imperial convertible. No engine, trans, interior or a lot of other stuff. I may also be able to get a ‘65 Imperial Crown 4 door parts car reasonably complete. I am thinking about a total mechanical change out, kind of making it a ’59. Install a 413, I have both a cast iron Torqueflite and a ’62 aluminum Torqueflite with the brake drum, rear axle with flanged axles and new style brakes from the '65. The only issue I can think about is the power steering box. The ’57 is different but do they mount differently? And maybe the brake booster mounting for the ‘65 booster. Or use the Torqueflite from the ’65 with the slip spline driveshaft and yes I know the hardtop and convertibles are different. But 50 years ago I installed a convertible driveshaft into a hardtop! Forty five years ago I put a ’62 rear axle in my ’65 Crown Coupe so I guess it will go the other way. I know also that if I used a C I Torqueflite I need to change out the crankshaft. So what think you experts, can I do it or am I flogging a dead horse?

i like what you are thinking - i dont see why you can't.
but i dont know what i dont know...........

Do it if you absolutely love '57 Imperials, don't care how much it costs you and will never get close to what you have in it. Also, plan on finishing it while you have good health and can afford spending money without taking a loan. If you don't finish it, no one wants to buy someone else's project especially if you are not around to answer questions.

@Pete Kaczmarski I agree, I am 72 and in reasonably good health but you never know. That's also part of the equation and I can't say I am not worried about the money but I've been in the parts business for most of my life and I know a lot of the players. The other issue is that the reason it was parked is that it was sideswiped on the left side and needs a door and quarter. I can see myself saddling up the van and trailer and driving to the Southwest to find them or pick them up. Oh, and I love them all!

we need pics :) these cars are usually tons of welding. Also if not going totally orig, its not that bad.

@marko @Pete Kaczmarski @mikes2nd Hi Guys; mikes2nd asked for pictures and I finally turned them up.

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-2.jpg

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-3.jpg

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-4.jpg

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-5.jpg

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-6.jpg

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-7.jpg

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-8.jpg

1957 IMPERIAL CONV-1.jpg

wow.
i would advise you not to get it.
for the $ & time you will spend on it i think you could get a really good one for less with alot less stress & frustration.
but ive wasted alot of time & $ on poor car "investments" so take that with a big pinch of rust.......

To be honest, I'm not sure it's even a good parts car! What I really want to do is just rescue it. Get it out of where it is and worry about what to do with it later. My problem is that I don't have any place to put it. I have a 3600 sq. ft. warehouse in Philly and it is chock full of stuff. And I don't have 140 sq. ft. of floor space to hide this thing.

What got me thinking of this again was the '59 convertible that sold at Barrett Jackson for $100,000. Yes I know they built twice as many '57s as '59s but maybe by the time I finish the car......

Back