I missed something

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
What possessed Fiat to separate Dodge and the Ram truck? For years they have been known as Dodge Rams why make it stand alone. Maybe Doba knows....

What possessed Fiat to separate Dodge and the Ram truck? For years they have been known as Dodge Rams why make it stand alone. Maybe Doba knows....

Sergio decided to make Dodge a performance car brand that would share platforms with other Brands under the FCA banner such as Alpha and Maserati thus spreading the R&D over several divisions cheaper parts blah blah blah. The Truck did not fit this plan and was spun off on its own and has done remarkably well. The Journey is next to go as it also doesn't fit the new Dodge plan and will likely become a Chrysler. Dodge was to be the Car brand Jeep the SUV brand Ram the Truck brand and Chrysler was gonna die believe it or not. So under the Dodge brand you have
Dart or replacement
Challenger
Charger
Viper last year
Future Cuda

No Superbird in the future?

Never say Never....
image.jpeg

I figured it was more about long term plans to sell off the truck division... or end the Dodge car division.

Looking at it from the inside we have come to the realization that FCA is becoming a 2 Horse manufacturer. We have great trucks and great Jeeps. Globally only the Jeep has any appeal so it very well could be spun off. Domestically FCA is only going to make high margin vehicles and import low margin vehicles as we do not have the plant capacity to meet the truck/Jeep demand while slow moving low margin plants are idling. Therefore the higher margin vehicle production will return to the USA to offset the higher labour costs and low margin production will goto Mexico Eastern Europe South America where wage costs are lower. Makes sense to do this but selling re-badged Mitsu's like we did in the 80's/90's isn't going to be very exciting. Remember 30 years ago there were only a few dozen brands selling in North America now there are hundreds. Too much consumer choice and an uncompetitive product have killed FCA's car market.

When DB bought Chrysler,it was my understanding that they were after the Jeep division first and the truck division second. The cars were just part of the package.

It surprised me that DB didn't hang on to the Jeep division, but then again, based on what I've read and conversations with Chrysler employees, they seemed to have a problem with American manufacturing in general.

The Jeep Division and the 9 Billion in cash we had which they used to buy up the competition in the Big Truck/Tractor market. Screwed us royally.

If they bring back the Cuda I think they will be pulling buyers away from the Challenger

The Challenger is in the product plan until 2021 as of last report. The "Cuda" will likely be an Alpha rebadged and also a convertible will be available.

2021? Thats riding a horse a long time ....14 years ... will they make it like the 72 - 74 for its last hoorah ?

2021? Thats riding a horse a long time ....14 years ... will they make it like the 72 - 74 for its last hoorah ?

I am really not sure what FCA is going to do in the coming years to generate excitement in a continuingly difficult to meet gummint regulations concerning emissions safety and general caving in to the activist minority. The talk is no more Hemi replaced by direct injection turbo V6's (read ecoboost ugg) or God forbid hybrids. I truly believe we have seen the last of the Golden Age post 1950-1970 of the Automobile that we have enjoyed the last few years. Tire shredding muscle cars are being replaced by tire shredding can openers with little or no character or charisma AFAIMC.

Cars are going to start becoming appliances.
The Millennials are already shunning cars - most can't drive manuals (Because their parents can't) and many look at a car like they look at a book (something old people do). The escape and freedom a car held for us is lost on them. They escape by plugging in their Iplod and hunting Pokemon from their parents basements. Sorry for ranting to many good memories in the backseat of a Mopar clouds my judgement

Was gonna say the Ram truck has to be their bread, and butter. They seem to be all over the place down here. Selling like hot cakes.

Theres a cuda vert in the works? Oh boy..:thumbsup:

The Millennials are already shunning cars - most can't drive manuals (Because their parents can't) and many look at a car like they look at a book (something old people do). The escape and freedom a car held for us is lost on them. They escape by plugging in their Iplod and hunting Pokemon from their parents basements. Sorry for ranting to many good memories in the backseat of a Mopar clouds my judgement
There's nothing wrong with your judgment.

Back