I painted my first car today!

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, painting this myself. Save some money, learn some new skills. Delete the vinyl top while you're at it, painted top will look better. But then the time comes to block sand the thing and you realise it's a four door formal
What on earth was I thinking.
looks good. Any tips for us other beginners, advice that may come after making a mistake or would do different next time ?

I know everthing tends to look better in pictures but awesome work man!!! Looks so good who doesnt love TX9 mopars! Great work keep it up.

Looking at it the next day, a little more objectively, it's far from perfect. Overspray, dust, bugs, orange peel, it's all there. But given the backyard setup, my lack of experience, and how it used to look I'm chalking it up as a big freakin win.

This is me:
5e78429762d0b35dbfca8be96d877682e9cff80814f4b19647b27f947fa8ea56_1.jpg

It doesn't get any harder than laying out black. You seem happy, I'm happy for you! No matter the slight imperfections soak up the rewarding and accomplished feeling looks good to me!

looks good. Any tips for us other beginners, advice that may come after making a mistake or would do different next time ?
Aside from the basic stuff you can find online there's a couple of things:

- Look into renting a paint booth. For me this backyard setup was okay because it mostly was a learning experience and I knew that everything I did would be an improvement, bug's and all. And here in the woods we tend to have a lot of those. But next time, if there's gonna be a next time, I'd get a proper booth.

- Everything. Takes. So. Much. Time. Not even talking about the sanding here, but that also takes forever. But Pretty much nothing had been apart for 40 years so every bolt was a struggle. Spent an entire afternoon removing a single door handle. Your mileage may vary but be prepared.

And lastly, my true top tip:
- Get yourself what you think is an obscene amount of masking tape. Then, get two more rolls.

Just so you know what I'm talking about when I say "everything is an improvement", this is probably my clearest "before" pic:

20190707_194050.jpg

Here's the "after" shot of similar angle, with the masking removed. Gloss is excellent, finish could be better, but like I said I'm not a painter. Might adress the orange peel somewhere in the future, but for now I'm just going to put it together again over the next couple days. Can't wait to get all the brightwork back on it!

20221003_120651.jpg

Aside from the basic stuff you can find online there's a couple of things:

- Look into renting a paint booth. For me this backyard setup was okay because it mostly was a learning experience and I knew that everything I did would be an improvement, bug's and all. And here in the woods we tend to have a lot of those. But next time, if there's gonna be a next time, I'd get a proper booth.

- Everything. Takes. So. Much. Time. Not even talking about the sanding here, but that also takes forever. But Pretty much nothing had been apart for 40 years so every bolt was a struggle. Spent an entire afternoon removing a single door handle. Your mileage may vary but be prepared.

And lastly, my true top tip:
- Get yourself what you think is an obscene amount of masking tape. Then, get two more rolls.
I forgot maybe the most important one, don't do this alone! If you're like me, you'll want to do this yourself, because that way if you screw it up you'll only have yourself to blame. But that's fine, just make sure there is someone with you.

Before the repaint there were also several mechanical issues that needed fixing and luckily my dad was there for pretty much all of it. Neither of us had any previous real experience though, but it helped to just bounce idea's of each other, and to have another set of hands. Especially at times when I was a little overwhelmed by the scale of it all he helped by picking up a sanding block and by just being there.

He tends to downplay it all by saying "you did most of the work, I just handed you the tools" but I know the truth.

The title of the thread speaks volumes! You "Painted Your First Car". In the first place, how many of us have attempted this, and what were the results? Secondly, you are without doubt your own worst critic. Thirdly, most (if not all) of the beautiful "flawless" paint jobs we see have been done by folk with many paint jobs under thier belts. What did thier first attempt look like?
From what I can see in the photos, you have dine an admirable job- and in black, none-the-less!!!
Congrats!!! Lindsay
PS My first (and only) paint job was on a '64 Fargo rust bucket. It looked not too bad at night and 60 mph!

The title of the thread speaks volumes! You "Painted Your First Car". In the first place, how many of us have attempted this, and what were the results? Secondly, you are without doubt your own worst critic. Thirdly, most (if not all) of the beautiful "flawless" paint jobs we see have been done by folk with many paint jobs under thier belts. What did thier first attempt look like?
From what I can see in the photos, you have dine an admirable job- and in black, none-the-less!!!
Congrats!!! Lindsay
PS My first (and only) paint job was on a '64 Fargo rust bucket. It looked not too bad at night and 60 mph!
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! I definitely am my own worst critic, you got that right.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! I definitely am my own worst critic, you got that right.
You are not alone. The criticism gets in the way of getting things done.

BTW: THANKS DAD!
(My Dad is passed, but he would not have helped. He would have asked, "Why don't you pay a paint shop?" DIY is not in everybody's vocabulary.)

Excellent work!
3 things from this point..
Wet sand
Cut
Buff
I agree with this 100% you would be amazed at the difference. My first vehicle I sprayed was a work van. I had a bad orange peel and never touched it and was pretty happy. The next car I painted with similar results but cut and buffed it out huge difference and was very satisfied.

Since then every used car I have bought I will cut and buff the orginal factory paint it really makes a difference.

Back