I wanna air ride my 66 NY

Gerst makes a coilover suspension swap for A, B, and E-bodies, plus '61-'71 Dodge D100 trucks. You can order the kit, minus the coilovers, so you can easily bag this assembly. If I had the bucks, I'd do this to my truck in a heartbeat! This eliminates the torsion bar system in those cars, and the buggy springs on the trucks. You might inquire to them to see if they can help you in your quest to bag the Chrysler.

Products | Gerst Tubular Suspensions

Bagging a car doesn't bother me in the least. It's a pretty severe (and permanent!) mod on any Chrysler product. Yeah, there are a few "old farts" on here that don't like to see what you want to do on your car. Other than cranking down the torsion bars and using rear spring/axle spacers, there isn't a ready-to-install kit, like there is for so many other COIL-SPRING vehicles. Keep that in mind. Best of luck to you @Sbailor. I'd love to see the process of your build, once you commit to the job.

I haven't seen any of those coil over k frame replacement kits that didn't have bump steer and other geometry issues when used for other than drag race, go to cruise night type applications.

Kevin

I know three Sweptline trucks running the Gerst kit. One guy has 5K miles on it in 8 months. Sounds pretty trouble-free to me. It's not a half-assed set-up at all.

Here's the link to @Jack-Stand's build I mentioned earlier.

'66 Monaco Resto-Mod
Thanks @LocuMob! I'm happy to chime in and help wherever I can. If I can help someone learn from the mistakes I made (or things I wish I had done differently), I'm game.

The big thing with my build is that it's crazy slow. I'm only putting money into it as I'm able to save up for it, so it'll be a while before I'm on the road.

I guess I'm one of those purists. I want to maintain and repair as from the factory. I'm not an engineer, but I appreciate the engineering of the day and don't really want to change anything on my car except to repair or maintain as best as reasonably can be expected from it. I have no desire to swap my drum brakes for disc. Yes, I am well aware that disc design is superior, but thats part of the reason that I bought the car. I have no interest in switching to electronic ignition or fuel injectors. Fiddling with the carb and adjusting points was kind of the point. I don't want to install A/C because it didn't come with it. I have to admit that I have considered cruise control just to prevent my foot from cramping, but thats probably unlikely to be done. If I were to consider a 4bbl carb switch, I would never part with the 2bbl just so I can always put it back the way it was originally from the showroom. To each his own...if you want to bag your car, go right ahead; but neither should we disrespect you for your decisions any more than you should disrespect the "purists" for wanting to stick with stock. But it'll bring a tear to my eye thinking of chopping a perfectly great car that was a part of Americana.

Back