ICE sucks

sixpkrt

Reaction score
Yesterday, the northern and northwest suburbs of Chiraq were under a winter storm advisory, with warnings of significant icing conditions likely.
When I left the office yesterday, the ice had already started to form on my car and the roads were beginning to get pretty slick, and with the temperature dropping the worst was yet to come.

So I’m sitting on my couch last night watching the news and heard a crash come from outside my window. Thinking it was ice sliding off my roof, I went outside to see what had occurred.
When I saw what caused that crashing noise I heard, I was shocked to find it was a big tree in my backyard. I never thought this could happen to this tree, as it was healthy and the trunk was larger than the other trees on my property, but I suppose all that doesn’t really matter with the added weight that caused it to fall, from all the ice that had formed its limbs.

We planted this tree about 20 years ago after removing the swing set that my girls outgrew.

001.jpg

I really didn't see all the damage that had been done last night in the dark, but this morning it was clear we'll now have to have this tree cut down.

019.jpg

We were very lucky the tree didn't hit our house or gazebo.

022.jpg

027.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

039.jpg

Even by little buddy was saddened his favorite tree was down.

015.jpg

I had to look up where "Chiraq" is. LOL

Ice can be a real *****. We don't have a lot of problems with it around here... Most stuff that would come down in an ice storm probably already came down from the snow.

WHO USES CHIRAQ?​

While some Chicago rappers and their fans call the city Chiraq with a sense of tough-guy pride, other Chicagoans may object to the name and the way it characterizes poor black neighborhoods. Chiraq is also sometimes used demeaningly by those who want to characterize urban areas and their inhabitants as violent.

My guess is sixpkrt is not a Chicago rapper.

Trees can’t handle ice storms often.
I had an old mulberry tree split, due to an ice storm. It sounded like a cannon going off. A branch about 6” in diameter broke off. No damage as the tree is far from any buildings.

I once had an ICE whose carburetor would ice up.
Forgive me.
In all seriousness, I'm sorry to see the loss of your beautiful tree. ICE does suck.

To my surprise the arborist told me the tree was not as healthy as I thought. Inside the trunk showed it had began to decay, and probably would've died in a season or two.
Two hours after his landscapers showed up there was no more tree.

20230224_094907.jpg

20230224_094948.jpg

20230224_095701.jpg

I lost a nice Mulberry from the 2013 Ice storm, pulled all the limbs to the ground splitting the trunk.

You were fortunate to find landscapers to show up so quickly. My family located in MI south of Detroit have had quite a bit of ice damage and have just had their power restored after being out for 48 hrs.

I can't take any credit for getting them out to our place so quickly.
My wife started calling places the next morning after I left for the office, and she started getting estimates and quotes over the phone from a bunch places. One of them stopped by during the day to give his estimate.
Turned out to be the lowest price, so we decided to give them the job.
After they were done removing out tree today, two other neighbors had them stop by their homes too for additional work.
So it worked out well for everyone.

Rockford had a bunch of ice damage too, and a lot of power outages.
Spoke with Wyatt and Xenon yesterday while both were getting through the aftermath effects of the ice storm too.
Most the storm damages occurred north & northwest of Chiraq.

Just a few Benjamin's :rofl:

Last edited:
Yep, ice sucks, so does wet snow. After it all froze you could just hear the cracking and falling limbs and trees throughout the neighborhood. Fortunately this was a few years ago. Jersey has been more like Florida this past winter.

916407F2-8717-48FE-B7C8-91FAB5BE1639.jpeg

Back