Identification and general ****.

Ok. There were air shocks when i got it but everything seemed ok at the upper crossmember so maybe no harm done yet. So I'll just toss away the air shocks and instal normal ones. I will take few leafs away and hammer the rest ones a bit straighter. Would you (who) prefer gas or oil shocks?

Are you wanting to lower this car? In fact why don’t you tell us what you’re trying to accomplish here before you start taking a hammer to your springpacks....

you can eliminate the rubber isolating contraption.

-Get a set of the older style shock plates
-You will have to replace the 'pin/locating/centering' bolt holding the leaves together
-tack weld a washer into the axle's spring mount as it will be oversized

OR

Just get the complete ISO delete package from FirmFeel:

Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

If you have the rear sway bar you will have to modify the end plates as well with a tacked in washer and modifying the holes for the U bolt relocation.

If you need pic's of what I mean, I can post em

Ok..the story is that I want to lower the car a bit coz it is an old show car from the 70' and back in those days rear was ment to be high. So rear is high. But I dont want to make major modifications, for example air bags. So I was thinking to get rid of few leafs and hammer the rest which is pretty normal operation, in Finland at least, then I thought that I would get a pair of air shocks to level the rear if there is 300kg of meat backseat and gallons of gasoline in the tank. But coz detmatt said that without modifications to upper rear shock frame it would be a mistake, I just thought to do the leaf operation and change the air shocks that came with the car to original ones. Any thoughts?

How was the rear raised? I know you mentioned Airshocks but was it also raised with shackles by any chance? If it does have shackles, get rid of them along with the air shocks before you do anything to the leaf springs... My opinion anyway.

I'll post some pics from my phone in a bit of an ISO delete done on a 73Bbody rear... same ISO contraption

Last edited:
You can see where I tacked in a washer into both the spring mount and the anti-sway bar plate. That pic of the anti-sway bar plate with the additional hole drilled for the Ubolt relocation is before I filed it into an elongated hole to clean it up and then painted it.

*the Ubolts are closer together with the conventional shock plates than the ISO contraption.

$_59.jpg

$_591.jpg

$_592.jpg

$_593.jpg

Any pre 73 shock plate for an 8 3/4 rear or Abody 8 1/4 as the tubes are 3" The plates from the ISO contraption are too far apart and would require the Ubolt holes to be relocated.

Ok I guess you could relocate the holes or use them as is... I personally like to have the Ubolts close to the springs and axle spring pads. Thus minimizing the potential for any movement of the shock plate.

Hope that makes sense

Back