Identifying a 67 Imperial ATC car

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to check out a 67 Imperial. It is an A/C car. I presume if it is an ATC car it will be clearly displaced as one. I am hoping and thinking that is will not be. The VIN lists it as a medium optioned car, I figure that is a good sign. I know it has power vents and leather buckets, so it can't have too many more options and still be a medium optioned car, which is perfect to me.

The gold Crown Coupe definitely has ATC. You can see the temp sensor grill in the top of the dashpad just in front of the steering wheel.

Jeff

The M designation in the VIN only tells the model, a Crown, not how well-optioned the car is. It will be an M whether it has no options or every option.

The gold Crown Coupe definitely has ATC. You can see the temp sensor grill in the top of the dashpad just in front of the steering wheel.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff that was a quick answer. Anyway to diagnose if it is fully functional. It is going to be 20 so I am not really concerned about the charge on the A/C

Jeff

I'm not sure of that. . . Looking at the under-hood shots, I didn't see any of the tell-tale signs of ATC. But I betcha Steve (@saforwardlook) would be able to tell us whether or not pretty quick.

The M designation in the VIN only tells the model, a Crown, not how well-optioned the car is. It will be an M whether it has no options or every option.
I learn something new everyday so what would be considered a high or premium line in the Imperial.

Just push the mode buttons and see if the air comes out of the correct vents and that the blower runs. Not sure if '67 had temp lockout, where you only get defrost until the engine warms up. At 20 degrees, be real easy on the buttons or the back of the mode switch could break off with everything being so stiff.

The vacuum tank tucked up in the right fender also tells you ATC, as this car does not have remote trunk release. Vacuum trunk release also uses a tank with smaller lines on it.

That's impressive Jeff and I thought I couldn't tell much from the pictures.

The vacuum tank tucked up in the right fender also tells you ATC, as this car does not have remote trunk release. Vacuum trunk release also uses a tank with smaller lines on it.

Good eye there, Jeff. That little tank is barely visible in the crappy photo.

Mike: You do know that the price of this car should now be adjusted to the standard "For C-Bodies Only Price", don't you ? :poke:

I defer to bigmoparjeff on the 67s - usually I can tell by the water valve on those models, but the interior is not so well known to me or the underhood placement of the vacuum reservoirs. My knowledge begins with the fuselage models. But I do believe 67 was the first year for autotemp, so that isn't a good sign either, since further iterations didn't seem to get any more reliable. I have been successsful only in getting the Autotemp II systems to work so far, but I really haven't tried hard to get an Autotemp 1 system to work, but it is probably doable with enough effort since some have done it. I do have a lot of NOS Parts for Autotemp 1 systems, except for the behind the kickpanel control units that sold out quickly after production ended in 1970 due to the rapid failures of them.

This is an auto-temp car, who cares???

Thanks @detmatt for decoding the fender tag this morning. You are the man! This is all your fault too. :)

Jeff
My first '67 was a Crown with ATC, there was no sensor on the dash in front of the steering wheel. It was built into the dash not on top. That must be a blemish from something else. I would have to look at my FSM to be sure.

Back