Idler and Pitman Arms

Now how do I check that without pulling the steering column out of the car?
Also, it's a PITA, but the biscuit can be replaced without removing the column.

IMG_1733.JPG

Sop, what does it take to make that LR item work on a C-body Chrysler?

Thanks,
CBODY67

Discussed extensively elsewhere, but:

1. Rover is 5/16 thicker than Mopar, so I had mine machined to 1 inch at a "real" machine shop (not an automotive machine shop) where they quickly removed the 5/16 using a magnetic-bed surface grinder. The two surfaces remain dead-parallel when machined like that. Someone else mentioned that they tried chucking it up in a lathe, but it made a mess of the biscuit as it whacked it's way across the four "lugs" of steel. The rubber doesn't AT ALL take to machining, either, but the surface grinder is far more forgiving than a lathe bit.

2. However, after further reflection, I really don't think the 5/16ths affects anything except that it moves your steering wheel 5/15ths rearward. The steering column floor flange and the slots in the column mount (under the dash) allows for plenty of fore-aft positioning of the whole column.

3. Using a 15/32s drill bit, counterbore the bolt holes (on opposite sides, 90* apart, as per my pic above) so that the Allen heads will be flush with the biscuit's metal surface. However, if I was using a full-thickness Rover instead of the OEM 1 inch, I'd probably go just a bit deeper to insure that they can be fully threaded into the upper and lower yokes. Quality hex heads of adequate length (like about 3/8ths longer than the OEM Allens) could be used, negating the need for the counterbore. YourMeasurementMayVary.

[Edit] Summing all that up, I think the LR can be used as is, but will require longer quality bolts. But if Rocky is selling an exact replacement now......

Cutting the counterbore:

IMG_1728.JPG

Last edited:
22E2B3FF-98EC-4303-A183-106F184A7690.jpeg
I may not have that.

I’m thinking it’s a Saginaw column but I’m not sure if that makes a difference with this part.

You don't have a biscuit. It depends on the car, and I'm not qualified to discuss which C-Bods have the Intermediate Shaft and which ones don't, but you sure don't, so you're ahead of the game! Maybe it's a Chrysler thing (not Monaco/Polara) but I'm sure a more knowledgeable member can discuss this.

I don't think you've identified what car you have....dunno.

Back