If you like old USA machines maybe you'll like this

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
An antique Rc helicopter made by the American company Miniature Aircraft. This is a fully functional collective pitch main rotor and tail aircraft. It is a gasoline powered Zenoah 30cc 2 stroke that was fully balanced with a bigger piston[up from 26cc]. She weights in at 12.5 pounds. Miniature Aircraft went out of business but was recently bought by a German company and is starting to make parts again. But not for this helicopter as it is too old and has antiquated mechanical system. By rc heli standards this is an antique with production starting in 1990. The US Army used this model to explore drone and surveillance as well as movies I heard in Hollywood because a gas helicopter had long flight times. The gold electric motor on top is not a starter,that is a pull cord on the bottom. The brushless electric motor is spun by the crank and produces AC voltage and converted to DC and regulated to power all electronics,lights and charge the small emergency nmh battery in case the generator fails. Rotor diameter is a touch over 5 feet and swings carbon fiber main blades at anywhere from 1600 to 1850. The header and muffler were specially made to fit this model by Zimmerman in Germany. This chopper I have heard can lift 10+ pounds no problem. This is my "other hobby" and since we are in the dead of winter some of you may enjoy looking at something a bit different. Hope you like it!!
20170106_140114.jpg

20170106_140145.jpg

20170106_140500.jpg

20170106_140611.jpg
20170106_140534.jpg

Last edited:
Love me some RC! Actually just built my first buggy in 20 yrs... uh... then sold it to put a deposit on a Cbody.. When love calls, you got to go.

very nice!! I bet that thing hauls a$$.

my very first RC was a "Vanessa's Lunch Box." I loved that thing, but I kept breaking suspension pieces. lol

Tamiya_Lunchbox.jpg

very nice!! I bet that thing hauls a$$.

my very first RC was a "Vanessa's Lunch Box." I loved that thing, but I kept breaking suspension pieces. lol

View attachment 111173
Mine was the hornet. Busted the crap out of it. Once I got into racing I cobbled together an RC10 and the hornet became my basher. Still got er!
IMG_1803.JPG

An antique Rc helicopter made by the American company Miniature Aircraft. This is a fully functional collective pitch main rotor and tail aircraft. It is a gasoline powered Zenoah 30cc 2 stroke that was fully balanced with a bigger piston[up from 26cc]. She weights in at 12.5 pounds. Miniature Aircraft went out of business but was recently bought by a German company and is starting to make parts again. But not for this helicopter as it is too old and has antiquated mechanical system. By rc heli standards this is an antique with production starting in 1990. The US Army used this model to explore drone and surveillance as well as movies I heard in Hollywood because a gas helicopter had long flight times. The gold electric motor on top is not a starter,that is a pull cord on the bottom. The brushless electric motor is spun by the crank and produces AC voltage and converted to DC and regulated to power all electronics,lights and charge the small emergency nmh battery in case the generator fails. Rotor diameter is a touch over 5 feet and swings carbon fiber main blades at anywhere from 1600 to 1850. The header and muffler were specially made to fit this model by Zimmerman in Germany. This chopper I have heard can lift 10+ pounds no problem. This is my "other hobby" and since we are in the dead of winter some of you may enjoy looking at something a bit different. Hope you like it!!
View attachment 111144

View attachment 111145
View attachment 111146

View attachment 111147 View attachment 111148
Do you still run this? I can't stop looking at the photos!

You could use it as a drone but I don't think you could sneak up on anybody with it.
Very kool machine!:thumbsup:

Do you still run this? I can't stop looking at the photos!

I sure do still fly it. Before Miniature Aircraft went out of business I bought a ton of parts for it. I didn't fly it as much as in past years because I had just gotten my Fury III and I was busy with her. The helicopter is a gentle beast [like my Fury}but can go 50 to 60 mph comfortably. She will loop roll..stall turns ,hover upside down no problem. This is Min Airs first gasser and I own the 2nd rendition too. The 3rd one was produced but they went out of business but the new owners in Germany has put it out in a improved version which I hope to get so I can have a full set. I have quite a few rc heli's.
Maybe some time I will take pics of the real antique I own. Produced in the USA by Goram model products in 1980. I'm glad some of you guys are getting a kick out of it.

You could use it as a drone but I don't think you could sneak up on anybody with it.QUOTE

Yes you are correct,,,stealth is not in it's vocabulary for sure!!

I sure do still fly it. Before Miniature Aircraft went out of business I bought a ton of parts for it. I didn't fly it as much as in past years because I had just gotten my Fury III and I was busy with her. The helicopter is a gentle beast [like my Fury}but can go 50 to 60 mph comfortably. She will loop roll..stall turns ,hover upside down no problem. This is Min Airs first gasser and I own the 2nd rendition too. The 3rd one was produced but they went out of business but the new owners in Germany has put it out in a improved version which I hope to get so I can have a full set. I have quite a few rc heli's.
Maybe some time I will take pics of the real antique I own. Produced in the USA by Goram model products in 1980. I'm glad some of you guys are getting a kick out of it.
its awesome! I never owned a heli though I've flown a few. Always found them way more relaxing than planes.

Love RC, my Dad is into planes and I will build one some time. I have always heard that Heli's are harder to fly than Planes. Any truth to it?

That's not a cheap hobby. My neighbor has many planes... he has more cash tied up in planes than I do in cars.

I bet it's all more reasonable for someone who can be happy with just one.

Love RC, my Dad is into planes and I will build one some time. I have always heard that Heli's are harder to fly than Planes. Any truth to it?

Actually yes they are much more difficult. Ask any RC plane pilot. The cheap fixed pitch heli's you get at walmart will be inherently stable and you can fly it in your yard or living room. A real working helicopter has no self correcting stability control. {new entry level ones now have 3 onboard gyro's and can be programmed in various ways to try and save the pilot] The type of heli I posted doesn't care if it it is flying in any direction ,front back ,side to side ,diagonal and all this the same upside down. If you let go of the control stick it will remain doing what you had last told it to do until you instruct it to do something else. It will not recover. An airplane is a bit like a lawn dart as it wants to go only one direction and heli does not. It is to me a fascinating machine that is very complex. The setup of every part must be true as well as the main and tail blade pitch curves that work with a throttle curve [more pitch needs more power to over come drag etc] and ideally the rotor speed must remain the same when this is happening. I use a governor.
To add you could think of a big RC heli as this is a big 5+ foot unshrouded flying lawn mower swinging blades at at least twice the speed of a lawn mower with blades made of carbon fiber. They can be very dangerous and people have been killed by them. But although the learning curve is steep to me it was worth it. I learned a good deal.

Not remote control, but IMHO, the best four season small machine ever built:
IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

All gear drive, instant forward/reverse, optional 12v starting system, endless attachments, Gravely designed T-head engine, and a nearly indestructible drivetrain that was essentially unchanged during it's entire production run of more than 60 years.

The one above is '50's vintage, these are '80's vintage:
IMG_0633.JPG

Home made Newport pusher:
IMG_0592.JPG

Yard horse for trailers:
IMG_0673.JPG

Portable workstation:
IMG_0664.JPG

Not mine, but shows dual gear reduction wheels:
5Nb5E35F93Ec3F53laca40ea27d41168c1941.jpg

5Nb5Ja5R43K73Mc3N5ca42ac5ee6119c71a14.jpg

Some of my brightest childhood memories are riding around in that red cart while one of my older brothers piloted the tractor. Then, one day, I was big enough to handle the tractor myself. Didn't need my brothers anymore. Lol.

Here's the wikipedia page:
Gravely Tractor - Wikipedia

Hope you all enjoy the eye candy.

And if you ever see a gravely at a scrap yard, save it. Like our cars, once it's gone, it's forever.

John

Not remote control, but IMHO, the best four season small machine ever built:
View attachment 111635
View attachment 111636 View attachment 111637
All gear drive, instant forward/reverse, optional 12v starting system, endless attachments, Gravely designed T-head engine, and a nearly indestructible drivetrain that was essentially unchanged during it's entire production run of more than 60 years.

The one above is '50's vintage, these are '80's vintage:
View attachment 111638
Home made Newport pusher:
View attachment 111639
Yard horse for trailers:
View attachment 111643
Portable workstation:
View attachment 111644
Not mine, but shows dual gear reduction wheels:
View attachment 111645
View attachment 111646
Some of my brightest childhood memories are riding around in that red cart while one of my older brothers piloted the tractor. Then, one day, I was big enough to handle the tractor myself. Didn't need my brothers anymore. Lol.

Here's the wikipedia page:
Gravely Tractor - Wikipedia

Hope you all enjoy the eye candy.

And if you ever see a gravely at a scrap yard, save it. Like our cars, once it's gone, it's forever.

John
I started checking those out when I started my Country Squire restoration. Awesome machines!

Umm, how would you use a Gravely to restore a Country Squire? :lol:
Ha. ... use it to pull the non functional country squire? (Country Squire tractor not ford)

What meant was that I learned about them when I was doing research on tractors. They came up on another forum I was on and, naturally, I became a little obsessed.

Back