ign. problem, jumping rpm, stalling

Knebel

Reaction score
Hey, i need some help figuring this one out.

Msd 6al
pertronix ignitor
pertronix flame thrower coil
autometer tach

So.. i adjusted my timing and clamped the dizzy back down. Test Drove the car for 3 miles, all no problem. Pulled into the driveway and let it running cause i wanted to adjust the idle a bit. I got to it, turned the mixture screws ect. Got in the car and it started running weird and my rpm tach jumped all over the place up til 6000. Then the car stalled. The engine wasnt revving, only the tach jumped.

I go back in and start checking things out, the 40amp fuse i installed to the ammeter had some corroded looking contacts, so i cleaned that up and reinstalled it. All the wires to the dizzy were connected, all wires to the msd box were connected too. The only thing i found was that i must have accidentally pulled off the oil switch wire and this was dangeling around. So i put that back on, connect the battery and the car runs like nothing happened....

That leaves me scratching my head, what does the oil switch have to do with the ignition? Or...is the msd box or the coil going bad? That would have been my clue since the tach was jumping...

Any help appreciated.

Check the wires going to the coil, make sure the connection is tight with no damage to the wires.

The only wires to the coil come from the msd box. So far I found one loose/broken wire by the starter relay. Fixed that. I also cleaned all the connections, deOx'ed them and put togeter with dielectric grease. I also took the ground wire from the msd box and connected it directly to the battery...it was all wonky screwed on the front body panel without even any blank metal underneath.

I'm done for today with it, got dark out......damn winter.

So... i just got stranded. Made it 1.5miles and then the rpm jumped all over, started running rough and stalled in a parking lot.

I noticed a weird squeal/squeak from the coil/distributor area with engine off and ignition on. One pole in the dizzy cap is super burned with lots of carbon buildup, I had a spare coil I installed and it didnt change anything. The car starts right up, idles fine for 50sec, then the rpm tach starts to jump(first a little, then all over the place), the idle gets rough and lumpy(like only every other cylinder fires), engine runs slower and slower and then dies.

My tach is connected to the msd 6al box and I suspect this thing to be on the way out. No clue how to check it tho. I cant really see why it would be my pointless pertronix.

I need some advice on how i bypass the msd box tomorrow... car is parked in the parking lot tonight which i am not happy about

As far as i know, the coil is connected to the msd, then the msd goes to the distributor. Only thing i changed was connect the vacuum can from ported to manifold. I even reversed that but made no difference.

Hm, towed it home.... I checked the Pertronix, measures out just fine. Put the flamethrower coil back in (measured out fine) and rewired everything without the msd 6al, car starts up fine, idles fine so far. I didnt drive it but let it warm up in the driveway...no stalling. Now i guess the Msd box is shot... no idea how to benchtest this thing.

I think the MSD will either work or not work... not cause the issues you are having.

Your distributor cap though... Carbon buildup will cause crossfire and all sorts of problems. I'd change that first along with the rotor.

One other thing.... You are using both the Pertronix and the MSD? The Pertronix is a stand alone ignition, although I have seen where you can use it with the MSD.

If you really think it's the MSD (I don't) you can just run the Pertronix ignition to try it.

I would also go over the wiring with a fine tooth comb between the Pertronix and the MSD.

I'd also disconnect the tach to try that... Bad tachometers can cause strange ignition problems too.

How it come that after the car stalled i hear some weird whistle/ squeal from the coil/dizzy area? Almost like a teakettle..

The pertonix seems to run fine alone. Disconnected the tach, did not change anything. Damn new rotor i got didnt fit right with the magnetic thing from the ignitor, so...only new cap for now.

I have to ask why is he running a pertronix Ignitor setup in the distributor that's designed to be an all in one ignition, and an Msd spark box??

I have to ask why is he running a pertronix Ignitor setup in the distributor that's designed to be an all in one ignition, and an Msd spark box??
Its an ignitor 1. Replacement for points. Msd 6al is a multi spark box

This is not a new combo tho, the car ran fine for 2 years...

The Pertronix is only used to replace the points and condenser. The MSD is a better ignition system, and putting the two together will give you a stock looking distributor with a multi spark ignition.

Well, the coil is good and the pertronix is good too.... so there is only the msd left. I will check their tech support and see what happens

I just took the car for a drive, seems fine to me now. I have only the pertronix ignitor, coil and rpm tach hooked up. No ballast to coil and it idles better than ever before. I might move the coil from the intake to the firewall or so and do some upgrade to some wires.....little too hot back there for my taste.

Back