I'm happy and proud of my daughter ... she got her first axe today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trick with learning tab is to recognize the pattern of notes as a chord.

I can't play anything except the radio.....

I married (1st wife) into a family of musicians though and the gene got passed to my kids.

My oldest son found some money in the grocery store one day. He was about 10 at the time. There was just under $50 and we decided we would use the opportunity to teach him about honesty and doing the right thing. He turned it in to the store office and they said if no one came in in a month, he could have the money.

He was so glad he was doing the right thing... and at the same time hoping the money wasn't claimed. He decided he wanted to buy an electric guitar with the money.

The store called and no one claimed the money...

I knew that wasn't enough, but because of his attitude etc. I told him I would match the money for his guitar. We found a used Stratocaster copy that was pretty beat up, but the price fit the budget. I also bought him a used amplifier.

He played the snot out of that... loved it.

A year or so later he wanted something new... He tried to trade in the Strat, but it was just too fugly looking to get any money for it. I happened to be painting my Jeep at the time and had some nice clear coat/base coat brown left over. I stripped the guitar... primed and painted it and it came out nice. He took it back out to the guitar shop and they gave him more than he paid for it.

That was a bunch of guitars and amps ago....

I can't play anything except the radio.....

I married (1st wife) into a family of musicians though and the gene got passed to my kids.

My oldest son found some money in the grocery store one day. He was about 10 at the time. There was just under $50 and we decided we would use the opportunity to teach him about honesty and doing the right thing. He turned it in to the store office and they said if no one came in in a month, he could have the money.

He was so glad he was doing the right thing... and at the same time hoping the money wasn't claimed. He decided he wanted to buy an electric guitar with the money.

The store called and no one claimed the money.

I knew that wasn't enough, but because of his attitude etc. I told him I would match the money for his guitar. We found a used Stratocaster copy that was pretty beat up, but the price fit the budget. I also bought him a used amplifier.

He played the snot out of that... loved it.

A year or so later he wanted something new... He tried to trade in the Strat, but it was just too fugly looking to get any money for it. I happened to be painting my Jeep at the time and had some nice clear coat/base coat brown left over. I stripped the guitar... primed and painted it and it came out nice. He took it back out to the guitar shop and they gave him more than he paid for it.

That was a bunch of guitars and amps ago....

cool story John. That reminds me of an Andy Griffith episode where Opie found a purse with $50 dollars and had to wait 30 days to see if anyone claimed it.

I forgot to ask .. does it hut the guitar or strings to use a socket on it? I gave her a deep socket to make the cool rock sounds with

It won't hurt anything but I'd be careful about how fast you introduce advanced methods at her, maybe she should learn to play first. Just my .02 which sometimes isn't worth it...

Step one is learning how to hold the pick and I'm dead serious. As mentioned, my daughter's new guitar is tuned to open E so that she can learn to strum. Once she's good at that then we'll work on chords.

Bad habits like an incorrectly held pick are tough to break.

Matt and Ross I'm with you on both things. Just thought it would be fun the first day. The socket is back in the tool box.

She's working on it every day.

Good for her :). Music is a great hobby.

A word of advice - encourage her to do a bit of ear training. Not much, as I suspect it will bore her to death, but even 10-15 minutes a day will make a difference. Believe me, if she keeps with it, she will thank you a few years from now.

Justinguitar (a great resource BTW) has some ear training exercises as part of the beginner's course and you should supplement it with the Functional Ear Trainer that you can grab at http://www.miles.be/software .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back