Im looking at buying a 63 newport have lots of questions

That, plus 10:1 compression ratio and a faster curve dual point distributor.
I figured it was just detuned a little. There's no reason I can't come close to that by putting a four barrel on it two and a quarter inch true dual exhaust even if it's still using the factory manifolds. And then eventually stuffing a slightly larger cam in there. Probably one of those purple 383 cams that I keep reading about. I'm going to go back to look at the car again this weekend someone told the area the trim screws to tends to rot and let water into the trunk. So I'm going to check that and then try to work out the price.

I figured it was just detuned a little. There's no reason I can't come close to that by putting a four barrel on it two and a quarter inch true dual exhaust even if it's still using the factory manifolds. And then eventually stuffing a slightly larger cam in there. Probably one of those purple 383 cams that I keep reading about. I'm going to go back to look at the car again this weekend someone told the area the trim screws to tends to rot and let water into the trunk. So I'm going to check that and then try to work out the price.
Just though of something... Bigger intake valves on the 4bbl versions too. 2.08 versus 1.94".

So you've got compression ratio and larger intake valves being the two major items.

The Chrysler factory service manual say to reseal the front and back glass.
The 63 has those pain in the but tapered rear axle shafts with hard-to-find hubs and drums and they're pricey if you do. The rear from mid 60's C bodies don't have the problems and do fit that 63. Because of this I suggest you get one drum to drum with a 3.55 gear and try the 361 engine with no mods other that 4 barrel, and ignition change. The 361 will spin the 3.55 rear coast to coast at 70 mph with no complaints.
Remember, Chrysler rated the 10.5 single carb 4 barrel 413 in 64 at 340 hp with "single" exhaust. Mine runs well. I don't think you will find the headers to be a good match or worth messing with on that car.

And with the "modern" rear axle, then you might consider moving the parking brake to the rear axle from the rear of the transmission, too. Might need to emulate the '65+ system to do that?

Might stay away from the "Purple Stripe" cams, all things considered. The original "Purple Stripe" cams were a good bit more radical than the stock cams were back then. As in the "Street HEMI 284/284 Purple Shaft" cam, whereas the modern "Purple Shaft" are aftermarket cams, seemingly, co-opted from another cam grinder and need to have other things customized so they work good. It's been a while since I have looked at 361 cam specs, but the 256/260 factory cam would be a good place to start and the 383 "Road Runner" cam would be a good place to stop.

Main consideration would be the factory exhaust manifolds keeping things "corked-up" a bit. So a cam with more exhaust duration would be needed to compensate for that, rather than a cam with the same duration and lift on the exhaust as the intake. In those earlier times, the only type of "dual exhaust" was a "true dual", unlike the "dual outlet" single exhausts now termed "dual exhaust".

Take care,
CBODY67

Back