Imperial idler arm vs 73 New Yorker idler arm

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I purchased an Imperial idler arm from Murray Park to go on TB my 73 Imperial, I thought I would also bring in a 73 New Yorker idler arm to have a look side by side.
I took some pictures for you to have a look at the differences. Not much but a wider curve on the Imperial arm.
I was ready about Imperial owners installing the New Yorker arm and stating that they felt no noticeable changes in steering, just better than the old worn parts.
I am going to install the new New Yorker arm,go for a drive. Then instaI the new Imperial arm and go for drive. On both I will check for part interference, wheel turns and steering feel.

IMG_3736.jpeg

IMG_3735.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg

IMG_3732.jpeg

Thanks for doing this comparison work to help out Imperial owners with real life accounts/ impressions.

OK, back from under the car. I removed old idler, positioned the New Yorker idler. Right away the frame brackets are .25" wider then the NY arm. I wasn't about to start adding shims or bending from tabs. I did know this going in and thought I would add a couple of ball joint washers. I took a look at the swing of the arm and the NY arm is much closer to the oil pan than the Imperial arm. I was satisfied enough that if I was having an arm rebuilt I would use the NYer arm until the Imperial arm returned. So for short term use I would use the NYer arm, but only until I installed the Imperial arm.

IMG_3738.jpeg

Back