Installation Issues for Hemi Transplant

I believe that each of us seeks a certain goal when it comes to the special car we drive. Some are more focused on performance, while others are more into style. For others it’s a combination of both. The car itself will have a lot to do with it, too. In my case, the fundamental DNA is based on law enforcement and high speed pursuit. The “story” I’ve written for it calls for it to be the “ultimate” pursuit vehicle. It therefore almost by necessity requires the 426 Hemi, as that is the conventional belief when it comes to “ultimate” power plants (at least it does for me). All of the recommendations and advice given to me in this forum is greatly appreciated, and I agree with it. But at the end of the day, each of us has to ask ourselves, “Is this the car I really wanted to build?” For me, I have to say that whatever motivated your friend “Butch” to install the Hemi in his 1970 Fury is what’s doing it for me. Hands down that’s the finest example of a “factory what if” installation I’ve ever seen. He had a clear vision of what he wanted and he created it. A true work of art and a testament to his skill. If it elicits the same reaction from others as it does from me, I’d say he succeeded.

Sorry John... I have grown to hate seeing those ram manifolds in crap they didn't belong in... as much as I love them in a 300F :rolleyes:

I read on after starting this reply and realized the point was generate "visual horsepower"... chrome lug nuts and no wheel covers was so much easier...

Does anyone make a "Six Pack" air cleaner for a Stromberg?

I'm beginning to understand the purpose.

Now it just gets to the details.

If I were building this car, I would do the following for getting the Hemi into place.

We can do simple first. Big block version of the 727. Have someone good build it. You'll need the 8 bolt flex plate. All your mounts are gonna be off the shelf Mopar.

Engine mounts are going to need to be fabricated. I'd have something close to the stock type done, mounting to the stub frame. Use a rubber stock type mount as a solid mount will shake every bolt loose. Forget the elephant ears, this isn't rocket surgery, hot rodders have been making mounts for decades.

Assuming you can still buy repop exhaust manifolds, they would be the ticket as Hemi manifolds flow like headers and would be easiest to work around power steering etc. Exhaust becomes custom made, but that was a given from the start.

I'd look at an aluminum radiator, they are making a decent bolt in for a 440 that would all bolt up, assuming this car has the larger rad opening that is. Not a big deal to make it bigger if if doesn't. Just have to match the bottom location with the water pump and again that's already done with the 440 and all the water pump etc bolts to the Hemi so no big deal there, just a little homework. The vendor here, whatever their name is, would be a good source for a rad and could tell you the locations on their rads without any of the usual hysterics.

You can pretty much wire it with a stock OEM harness, thus avoiding the Mickey Mouse aftermarket crap that was copied from a 68 Chevy Nova. I'd keep the stock alternator/charging system and not let anyone try to sell me a 1 wire GM alternator. Again, the Hemi shares 440 brackets although I think the lower pulley might have an extra couple bolts, but I don't remember. If so, all that is shared with the b and e bodies, so that's easy to get a repop version. Stay with the stock belts too it's more impressive to see period correct hardware if you are building a period correct car.

So there is my take. I've purposely left off details about the engine build and just concentrated on getting a stock configuration Hemi bolted in. The only "not off the shelf" bits are the motor mounts and a guy that's good with a welder can knock those out after lunch. This would also let you build a fairly stout engine, as there's tons of street/strip cars out there with the engines bolted in just like the factory did it.

From there, you can plan the engine build. I always give this advice. You need to coordinate cam choice with converter with rear gear ratio. People seem to fall apart in that one. Less is always more.

Sorry John... I have grown to hate seeing those ram manifolds in crap they didn't belong in... as much as I love them in a 300F :rolleyes:

I read on after starting this reply and realized the point was generate "visual horsepower"... chrome lug nuts and no wheel covers was so much easier...

Does anyone make a "Six Pack" air cleaner for a Stromberg?
The manifolds were available in other cars, not just the letter cars and were reproduced too. A couple different versions too. There's hacked up manifolds all over the place the letter car guys won't touch. Just saying.

The manifolds were available in other cars, not just the letter cars and were reproduced too. A couple different versions too. There's hacked up manifolds all over the place the letter car guys won't touch. Just saying.
I understand... I just got sick of seeing them... in a correct era car, I would think of them as a waste of money as an addition, but like them as factory. They are not a cheap date to put together right. I'm 100% positive there are a hundred better alternatives for performance on a cruising car, which covers the expected use for most of us. If that red engine bay is the one I think it is, I was bummed to see the car trailered after so many liberties were taken.

I can get build it how you want it, if you use the damn thing. I almost get the trailer for a spectacular car being preserved and fully get not wanting to drive something nice in rush hour. I struggle to understand or appreciate modifying something and then treating it as if it was now a museum piece.

I understand... I just got sick of seeing them... in a correct era car, I would think of them as a waste of money as an addition, but like them as factory. They are not a cheap date to put together right. I'm 100% positive there are a hundred better alternatives for performance on a cruising car, which covers the expected use for most of us. If that red engine bay is the one I think it is, I was bummed to see the car trailered after so many liberties were taken.

I can get build it how you want it, if you use the damn thing. I almost get the trailer for a spectacular car being preserved and fully get not wanting to drive something nice in rush hour. I struggle to understand or appreciate modifying something and then treating it as if it was now a museum piece.
I think that really my point is there are a lot of other alternatives that have some visual appeal under the hood.

I can't say I haven't contemplated a set of those manifolds for my '70 300 every time a set comes up for sale. I think and dream a little, then I lay down and rest until common sense comes and takes those thoughts away.

I think that really my point is there are a lot of other alternatives that have some visual appeal under the hood.

I can't say I haven't contemplated a set of those manifolds for my '70 300 every time a set comes up for sale. I think and dream a little, then I lay down and rest until common sense comes and takes those thoughts away.
I THINK EVERYONE OF US HAVE THOSE DREAMS EVERY SO OFTEN.

I wanted to use a set on something since the 80's, but between the prices climbing and then starting to see them on cars that would only wind up less driveable/much more hassle to maintain and utterly incorrect... my temperature cooled a lot. That is still my all time favorite induction system, but I won't be putting one on anything I own. I love the story of the 300F landspeed cars and Tom Mchale's write up of the cars in Mechanics Illustrated.

After I figure out all the switches, where they are, and what they do. :p
That does make the 426 (or what they are are calling "Gen 2") swap sound a lot more practical for us analog based life forms.

Of course, people do crazier things, like putting a NPG 4 speed in a NYB... :poke:

:rofl:

That does make the 426 (or what they are are calling "Gen 2") swap sound a lot more practical for us analog based life forms.

Of course, people do crazier things, like putting a NPG 4 speed in a NYB... :poke:

:rofl:
Sick puppies :thumbsup:

with a naked subframe on jackstands lower the engine and trans assy into the stub attaching the trans mount and see how the right side mount aligns with the stub. Fabricate from there using stock mounts on both sides and proceed. It should not cost a fortune and the engine will fit. A properly cammed/tuned hemi will move that ship along nicely.

I am following along just waiting to see what you come up with for the engine installation. Do you have a engine yet?

I'm probably done putting "old iron" engines in cars. If I were to do another car it would be a Supercharged Gen 3 in a Forward Look DeSoto. I would really like to do it in the next 5 -10 years if I was to do it. It would require a lot of research and possible fabrication to mod a 44 spline axle or maybe a Dana 60 to work in a Forward Look. I haven't seen anyone do that yet with a 44 spline axle!

Back