Installation Issues for Hemi Transplant

I'm probably done putting "old iron" engines in cars. If I were to do another car it would be a Supercharged Gen 3 in a Forward Look DeSoto. I would really like to do it in the next 5 -10 years if I was to do it. It would require a lot of research and possible fabrication to mod a 44 spline axle or maybe a Dana 60 to work in a Forward Look. I haven't seen anyone do that yet with a 44 spline axle!

Call Dr Diff to supply the correct width Dana 60 with the spring perches at the correct location and it will just bolt in.

It's overkill in my opinion unless you're planning on running 9's with your Desoto which would be no end of cool but a Cbody 8.75 housing and diff is more than up to the task if you don't put slicks and a trans brake in front of it.

Lots of 500" strokers running around making 600+ ft/lbs.

Kevin

Call Dr Diff to supply the correct width Dana 60 with the spring perches at the correct location and it will just bolt in.

It's overkill in my opinion unless you're planning on running 9's with your Desoto which would be no end of cool but a Cbody 8.75 housing and diff is more than up to the task if you don't put slicks and a trans brake in front of it.

Lots of 500" strokers running around making 600+ ft/lbs.

Kevin
For Bob, it's the journey.

I don't want to limit myself if I did that project. I normally start these projects with a mild build in mind and then end up with a monster project. A supercharged Gen 3 Hemi starts out at 707 hp and I'm sure my project will have quite a bit more by time I'm done. I have no doubt that a 8.75 axle could handle 500-600 hp and a properly built and set up Dana 60 can handle any hp. But I would like to try my hand at modding a 44 spline metric axle. The axles are strong enough and with the special diff kits Per4mance has available I can fab an axle that can handle the performance. I have both kits for my Redeye and its suppose to keep the diff bulletproof.

https://www.getper4mance.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I’ll never forget the mental image of the circle on the wall! Another thing I learned in the courtroom was that the value of an answer depends entirely on how you frame the question. Perhaps in my situation, I should ask “How many engine swaps have you performed on C-bodies? Any Hemis?”

Sounds like a fun project. A few thoughts... I haven't put a Hemi in a C body, but I have put a 440 in an early A body and that's shoehorning with a welder and torches...
The blocks that have wedge ears don't save any money or frustration - the ears were not on factory blocks because that's where the exhaust manifolding or headers run. Just run standard block. Fabrication will be needed but again, not a big deal to someone motivated to get it done. You might be able to sink it in the chassis a little too, helping with the power booster. You could also modify the firewall or use an offset set of brackets to move the booster over. Or hydroboost it. Basically you will need to go system by system, and address the issues as they arise. It's doable. Not by catalog ordering so you need a shop that knows mopars and knows fabrication.

Back