Installing rear seat to match buckets

Mike66Chryslers

Reaction score
My '66 Windsor 2-door hardtop originally came with a bench seat and column shifter. Many years ago I bought a bucket seat and console interior from someone else who pulled it from a parts car but later changed his mind about installing it in his own Chrysler. I installed the buckets and console right away but never got around to installing the matching rear seat until recently. Then I began to discover, with the helpful assistance of some members here, that there are several required pieces that I never received: side shields, various brackets, C-pillar chrome trim, and now the rear quarter interior panels.

I will attempt to modify my original interior panels to fit with the side shields in place. I posted on the "What did you do to your car today" thread, but now that I have pics to post I figured I'd make a separate thread about this.

Last edited:
Here is where I am at presently:
image3.jpeg

The original non-bucket interior panel which won't fit with the side shield in place:
IMG_0102.JPG

I have a spare set of interior panels from a convertible and I started hacking up one of those to experiment with, to get the shape correct. The convertible panel already had the correct contour to fit against the side shield, but it was different at the top. I peeled back the vinyl and cut away the metal core to get the correct shape.
image1.jpeg

A closer view:
image2.jpeg

Yes, very interesting, keep us posted.
I want to do something similar to my 300L, but the rear will be bucket seats like the 60-62 Letter cars.
I have 2 extra bucket seats and a Monaco 500 console.
I am lacking in enthusiasm, prioritization, and truth be told - a little skill!

The vinyl covering was attached with contact cement and short upholstery staples. After removing the staples, a heat gun will make the contact cement soft. Get a metal scraper under the vinyl to peel it away from the panel.

I cut the hardboard with a utility knife and the metal top section with a cutoff wheel in my dremel. The short-leg upholstery staples are only available for special pneumatic upholstery staplers, not manual T50 staplers, so I just used contact cement and clamps to reattach the vinyl.

First one almost done. I put the removed section beside it so you can see how much I hacked off.
61280889_599571497205017_6941122184941142016_n.jpg

61675958_1002008770006262_3777390785842905088_n.jpg

Do you have the clips in the panels for the spacer?View attachment 292811 View attachment 292812 View attachment 292813
NO, I just assumed that the seat-bottom spacers just wedged in between the seat bottom and the side panel. Having never seen the correct side panels until you posted these pictures, I didn't realize there are supposed to be clips there. :mad:

How necessary do you think they are? I decided not to install the brackets that should be spot-welded onto the inner fenderwell. They fit so poorly that I figured they are basically useless.

I am Magine those spacers would move around without the clips holding them in place

I installed the lower seat side fillers and the seat bottom to see how it all fit. The side fillers are wedged in very tight between the body panels and the seat bottom. With me sitting in the seat and moving around, the side fillers did not move at all. I don't believe these brackets are really necessary. Thanks for posting the detailed pics though @Verse . Your input has been much appreciated.

Back