Instrument Cluster Fire...now what?

Lemieuxport

Reaction score
So, after a long delay, I have begun to investigate why my car caught fire. It seems that a previous owner did not fully comprehend the necessity of grounding circuits. I've added some pictures of the damage. I've begun the process of replacing all of the electronics with a new EZWiring Harness, but I'm not sure what I can do to fix my instrument cluster.

Any ideas or advice?

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Most likely it was bad connections, corrosion and age of the hot wires running through the firewall to the Amp meter. Eventually the resistance got too much and things heated up and began to burn. Very common problem on old Mopars.

After wiring a complete car with an aftermarket wiring harness system I would never do it again, more trouble then they are worth. You would be better off to find another used harness, and a new dash cluster. Even a beat up old harness that you could repair would be preferable in my opinion.

Is that a 66 I was close to deciding to part my 66 300 convertible out. Rust has taken its toll.

Contact hilltopap@aol.com, he did have some of the factory circuit boards in stock if that is all that is bad. Not the cheapest supplier but he has a lot of hard to find parts.

When you do fix it, do an ammeter bypass, and convert the ammeter to a volt gage.

Second schematic shows how to bypass the ammeter. Always was a bad design to start with. The only difference i did with my bypass was i ran the red and black thru the bulkhead connector instead of along side it like it shows in schematic #2. I used new packard 56 male and female terminals, and will squirt dilectric grease in the sockets.

amp-ga18.jpg

amp-ga27.jpg

Last edited:
hi I have a good spare cluster if you are interested its out of a 65 newport i have the hole dash i have a 65 300 conv. so have a few part you can call me or email me @ 863-899-5988 or jealex1326@gmail.com

Ive reconned a few now not hard but your's would need a lot of work. Find a good used one if you can't let me know I may have a spare..
IMG_6682.JPG
IMG_6683.JPG

Console or column shift car?

Back