Interesting Imperial in Kentucky

I like a good diesel just fine... I do question why anyone gets a diesel pickup though. Too many seem to be buying them just 'cause it's cool. Then the maintenance bills shock them on a truck they never really utilize properly. I see lots of neglected diesels and lots of modified "black cloud wonders"... very few ever doing the kind of work they were intended to do.

I suppose I could almost see the engine swap if the car was already without and all you had laying around was the 5.9. It still would have made more sense to source a correct driveline... add on the body mods and this car is fully ruined IMO.

I see it as him doing the first 10% and then implying the last 90% as being no big deal.
You analysis and math are correct. Having re-powered a couple of older mid sized trucks with these engines, it's easy to see why the car is for sale where it's at. The basic engine and trans wasn't too hard to install. With the right mounts, the mounting points are fairly close to the car's originals, even the original steering and brake systems are probably functional as is. It's the accessories that killed it. He has now figured out that he will have to change the turbo, exhaust manifold, fan and drive, radiator connections, etc. Now where do you put a radiator, cooler, air cleaner, exhaust system? Accessories for Cummins engines are industrial and most won't translate well to cars. There will be many hours of fabrication involved, lots of wheels to be re-invented. Didn't want a/c in a black car anyway. On top of all of this, the engine itself weighs in at 980 lbs, plus accessories, the torsion bars will love that. At this point, he's created a very nice looking parts car.

Back