Introduction and looking for advice

bollotti

Reaction score
Hi,

First post on this forum. I have had a keen interest in C Body cars in the 1969-1973 period, and had been looking at Plymouth Fury's but not a lot seem to come up for sale in my area.

A Chrysler Imperial from 1973 has come up for sale locally, it is offered for sale at $2,500, which seems a good price.

It does need a new interior and vinyl top. Missing a front passenger seat as well.

What are your thoughts on costs to replace roof, and purchase passenger seat?

This would be a project for me and my boys to work on.

Thanks

00t0t_IhywGRIFdN_1200x900.jpg

01414_laEPoH1lbWf_1200x900.jpg

Thanks for the link. How hard would it be to source a passenger seat?

Hi,
A Chrysler Imperial from 1973 has come up for sale locally, it is offered for sale at $2,500, which seems a good price.

It does need a new interior and vinyl top. Missing a front passenger seat as well.
The right front seat is NOT an Imperial seat hence why bollotti is asking about sourcing one..
Personally 2500$ for a car needing a vinyl roof and that much interior work seems a tad too much...

Thanks, that was what I wanted to know, if worth the cost of work, or just spend a little more money for one that needs less work.

The right front seat is NOT an Imperial seat hence why bollotti is asking about sourcing one..
Personally 2500$ for a car needing a vinyl roof and that much interior work seems a tad too much...
You’re saying this without knowing anything about the rest of the car?:wtf:

Welcome and good luck! On any car approaching 50 years old they're all likely to need some work. Generally, from what I've seen, interiors can be the most expensive in materials and labor, (if you need it), and locating parts in the color you want can be difficult. I don't have any experience in vinyl roof repair/replacement, can't help on that, but you might want to take a close look around the rear window and windshield for rust. Otherwise, assuming the car has been in or around Orlando it's whole life, it should be pretty solid.

This car was for sale approx 12 months ago...I remember the paint had a good shine and it was odd to be missing the front seat. I'd imagine it has solid floors and trunk, let us know what you find.

I recall paying about 5000 for mine, admittedly without the vinyl roof, missing seat and upholstery issues, but feel if this isn't a rust bucket then you're getting a hell of a lot of luxurious car for a reasonable price, and it can gradually be done up. They're lovely cars, I was amazed when cruising at 70 MPH on the freeway, cruise control engaged, just a lovely comfortable ride.

Thanks, also looking at a 1972 Plymouth Fury 2 door. This is a little more expensive, but requires less work

That's what I thought when I bought my NYB. I'm pretty good with wrenches. I can fix all of this. I'll have to spend $$$ for bodywork and paint.

+$25k later and I'm still not done......

That car looks to me like it is fairly priced, assuming that it is a driver. A car that is rust free to start with is usually a good start as rust takes you on a never ending journey because more rust keeps popping up and it is often costly to repair. Check the area around the rear window channel as that is the first place that often rusts thru. This allows water to get into the trunk and stay under the rubber floor mats where it rots out the trunk floor.

The vinyl top on this car is not really that bad for a car this age, there was not much rust protection or paint applied to the tops of these cars so look for bubbling of the vinyl material as that is a good indicator of rust underneath. You should be able to locate the passenger seat at a salvage yard, finding a solid headrest in the right color will be the most difficult part. Interior fabrics are available thru SMS as noted above. www.justdashes.com is a handy company to have for dash pads and door panel repair.

Welcome and good luck.

Dave

Back