Is there a bench test for the 1969 3 prong electronic regulator ??

odcics2

Reaction score
I have an NOS part and am thinking of selling it. Before I do, I'd like to do a bench test to make sure it works.

All I find is info to test them in a running 1969 Imperial.

Can it be done with an ohm meter? Any ideas?

Thanks.

As far as I know Mopar never made a test apparatus to test the regulator off the car. FSM always detailed how to test them installed. If it does not show any obvious mount marks on the cable pins or holes for mounting, You probably have a NOS unit that should work.

Dave

Thanks Dave. The one I mentioned is in the box.
I also have a few used units I'd like to test.

Maybe someone here has a unit they can measure the resistance across the 3 prongs ?
If one if failed, would one reading be open?

Resistance isn't going to tell you much, if anything.

They work by using a coil of wire wrapped around a bi-metallic arm with contacts on it. To test it outside of the car, you would have to duplicate the load that your gauges put on it and check the voltage output. It's a "make and break" type of limiter and you may have a hard time reading an actual 5 volts with a DMM.

IMHO, I wouldn't bother with it. I've been using these to replace the limiter myself. Cheap, reliable and gives a constant 5 volt output. Your gauges will be more accurate and last longer.

Waterproof DC-DC Converter 12V Step Down to 5V Power Supply Module 3A 15W BLACK 600512346582 | eBay

DROK DC Volt Converter 9-35V 12V/24V Step Down to 5V 8A/40W Car... Free Shipping 619397029855 | eBay

DROK Micro Electric DC Buck Volt Converter DC-DC 6.3-22V 12V to 5V 3A/15W Car 689744776602 | eBay
You're referring to the instrument cluster regulator. I presumed that the OP was talking about the main regulator for the alternator, which attaches to the firewall.

Yes, the black , 3 prong, electronic voltage regulater used in 1969 only.
Maybe only on Imperials. (?) Part number is 2875400.

In 1970 and later, they used a more common 2 prong set up.

You're referring to the instrument cluster regulator. I presumed that the OP was talking about the main regulator for the alternator, which attaches to the firewall.
Oops....

Deleted the posts to eliminate any confusion.

You'd probably need a wiring schematic for the car with a 3 prong regulator to see what wire goes where to see where continuity would be or not be? Possibly the 2 prong will either be "continuity" or "no continuity" to determine if it was good or not?

CBODY67

You'd probably need a wiring schematic for the car with a 3 prong regulator to see what wire goes where to see where continuity would be or not be? Possibly the 2 prong will either be "continuity" or "no continuity" to determine if it was good or not?

CBODY67

If it has continuity, it is probably not burned out, but no way to know if the regulatory circuitry is working.

Dave

Maybe someone with a 69 Imperial could unplug the harness at the regulator and take ohm readings across the 3 terminals?

Back