Is there a fix for Chinese sending units?

Joseph James

Reaction score
Or, should I buy an old one from Murray?

I have a new sending unit. Full tank=1/2 tank on gauge. I would prefer the thing works the way it is supposed to.

I have a good IVR, good gauges and a good ground. The thing worked fine until I installed a new sending unit.

Or, should I buy an old one from Murray?

I have a new sending unit. Full tank=1/2 tank on gauge. I would prefer the thing works the way it is supposed to.

I have a good IVR, good gauges and a good ground. The thing worked fine until I installed a new sending unit.

Some of the Chi-Com crap has the wrong resistance wire installed and there is no good fix for that. Check the float and be sure it is not partially filled with fuel. You probably could install an adjustable cluster regulator to compensate if you chose to do so. I have tossed a couple of the Chi-Com units as not being worth the trouble. There are other posts on this site showing what the resistance of the unit should be at various tank fill positions.

Dave

good thread. I may have to pick up one of those if I can’t find any other problems. I have wanted to pull the new sender and see if maybe there is a problem with the arm. It won’t budge over 1/2 when full.

I installed an old 1 amp 5 volt regulator as the old IVR was toast. Plan is to buy one of the new solid state models. I was wanting to keep an eye I engine temp so I found the old regulator in a parts bin and used it.

At empty, I fill up and it takes 13 gallons to get it filled. That is a week of driving to work and back home.

Isn't there an outfit in the States that rebuilds the originals???

good thread. I may have to pick up one of those if I can’t find any other problems. I have wanted to pull the new sender and see if maybe there is a problem with the arm. It won’t budge over 1/2 when full.

I installed an old 1 amp 5 volt regulator as the old IVR was toast. Plan is to buy one of the new solid state models. I was wanting to keep an eye I engine temp so I found the old regulator in a parts bin and used it.

At empty, I fill up and it takes 13 gallons to get it filled. That is a week of driving to work and back home.
13 gallons is just over 1/2 a tank, but I'm sure you knew that. I would try adjusting the arm first.

headL.jpg

Home

About Bobs

Store

Custom Work

Retro Fitting Services

Speedometers

Tachometers

Other Gauges

Clock Conversions

Fuel Senders

Cables and Casings

Send a Gauge?

Articles and Pictorials

Before and After

Portfolio

Portfolio II

All Star Hall of Fame

Contact Us

Testimonials

Calendar of Events

LINKS PAGE

Repair Warranty

Repair Terms and Conditions

Payment Methods

Fuel Senders

here.

Got a badly performing fuel sender that is impossible to find a replacement for? Then box up your old one and send it to the techs at Bob's Speedometer to find out just what they can do to get your existing sender back in top notch working condition.

Our Shipping Address:
Bob's Speedometer
10123 Bergin Rd. Howell, MI 48843

Have questions? Contact Us

A Very Unique Fuel Sender

Over the years, lots of folks have sent their vintage fuel senders in to the technicians at Bob's Speedometer for repairs. This fuel sender has to be from the most unique vehicle our techs have ever worked on.
640_0_fuelsender_smcrt(1).jpg

Can you guess what type of vehicle this fuel sender came from?
Here's a hint: It has 80 wheels on the ground, and a payload capacity of over a half million pounds!

Fuel sender is from the NASA Rocket transporter. Space X bought one to move it's recoverable rockets.

Dave

Last edited:
Back