Is this Monaco worth $2500?

cdmcclellan71

Reaction score
I'm purchasing this Monaco 500 for $2500.. it's been sitting since '94. It's in Montana, we don't salt our roads so the rust underneath is minimal.. it's extremely dirty inside and the upholstery is pretty rough, it'll need the seats re-upolstered and a headliner which is torn and sagging. The floors are solid and there's a small soft spot in the trunk from what I can tell as I do not have a key to open it at this point. The taillights are cracked beyond fixing and the front grille is broken in a few spots but is repairable. This would be a driver.
Am I starting right for the money? I like these long 2 door cars.. the doors shut very well.. it just seems like a solid car.
It was green originally and painted black at some point. The one picture posted underneath is Representative of what it looks like under there.. I have lot's more photos all around.
Just looking for some insight and thoughts as I'm not familiar with these cars. I'm wondering how finding some of the parts that I'll need (such as taillight lenses) will be. If you're curious of any specific area I can post more photos.
..thanks guys
-Chris

20231006_113641.jpg

20231008_114956.jpg

20231006_114040.jpg

20231006_113425.jpg

20231008_115351.jpg

20231008_115733.jpg

20231008_115031.jpg

20231006_113520.jpg

It's a Montana car, so likely solid.

2500 is like a grand 5 years ago. Big Block, buckets, why not, have fun!

I think it's fair, but I don't really know anything about it beyond what you've shown in the pics AND assuming it's not cancerous rottomous maximus. Then again, it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. I'm also all for anything to keep these ol boats on the roads as long as possible if for no other reason than to spit in the face of planned obsolescence and electric vehicles. You'll be able to find drivetrain parts, but not too sure about taillight lenses and body panels. Go after it.

The question is, is it worth it to you? If you are buying it to get it road worthy or restore it and sell it for a profit..... no,it'd not worth it. If you are buying it because it's the car you want to have until the day you die....it is definitely worth it. As someone that has spent 35-40 thousand dollars to repair rebuild and restore my 65 Monaco can attest. If I'm lucky I might get $25,000 for it. Do I care? No. Am I ever going to sell it? No.

There can be a lot of work there, but nothing really difficult to do, from the pictures. As popular as the normal Dodges of that year were, should be some 4-dr sedans for some of the issues as tail light lenses, possibly. Interior would be the biggest thing, but a good trim shop can do that. Mechanicals are known, so no issues there, either. No vinyl roof is a PLUS.

Price appears decent, all things considered. Get it cleaned up and in good drivable condition. Learn about it and enjoy it. They were great cars. Looking spiffier than either the Plymouths and Chryslers, to me. You will probably discover something unsuspected, like it needs a heater core or similar, but just plan on such things rather than not. Be its new "partner" in life.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

If it's something you really like then go for it. I've got wayyyyyy too much into my 65 Belvedere wagon but I love it. I won't sell it and no one will give me what I have into it. If you can do more than 50% of the work then it's a plus. That's why this is a hobby. Hobbies cost money.

Nice, solid-looking ride! My brain thinks $2,500 was a good deal. If it's a runner, bonus points there. Interior is gonna be the obvious "money pit" part of this Monaco. It looks like the sail panels, rear trim cards, and most of the dash is all good and restorable. If you have a good interior guy nearby, the seats, headliner, carpet, and (likely) the visors are going to be where the money goes.

Looks like a great project! Plus, a triple-black big block car with air conditioning, too. Looks like fun! Best of luck to you.

Buckets with the "buddy seat", just like my '67 Newport.

The rarest combination is the buckets, console, and column shift. As depicted in the console illustration in the '67 Chrysler service manual. Yes, there is a block-off plate for the shifter slot, in that illustration PLUS that block-off plate is listed in the Chrysler parts book, too!

I have a Dodge console in the correct armrest color. Just need that block-off plate!

CBODY67

The rarest combination is the buckets, console, and column shift. As depicted in the console illustration in the '67 Chrysler service manual. Yes, there is a block-off plate for the shifter slot, in that illustration PLUS that block-off plate is listed in the Chrysler parts book, too!

I have a Dodge console in the correct armrest color. Just need that block-off plate!

CBODY67

Buyer says it's a bench. That's why it's a question.

CBODY67
There used to be a 66 Sport Fury local to me that was buckets, console and column shift. And just to make it more unusual, Slant 6.

Kevin

Console could be replaced by the "center cushion" on bucket seat C-bodies.

$2500 is a good price because it looks to be all there and not hillbillied. Good bones …. If you aren’t looking to do a resto you can have the interior done for lees using non original upholstry . Assuming seat covers etc are not available from Legendary etc. Drivetrain parts are easily available. How much cheaper can you get an entire car ? Even if it was $900 you would only save 1600. Not much in the big picture of restorations .

My .02.. OP says " I am not familiar with these cars." Even if he/she were, there are still tons of gotchas and pitfalls with getting this to even drivable condition. That said, know what you are getting into as much as possible. I have seen many an endeavour turn sour due to misguided expectations especially when reality stepped in.

If the OP wishes to tinker, learn and maybe get it running AND they have extra $$ lying around to do so, go ahead. If you're buying hoping to get lucky with the least amount of trouble, proceed with caution.

Now, what is that hose set up to/from the heating core? Does not look factory to me.

^^^^^^^^^
This is very true. Those of us with some knowledge of "those cars" pretty much KNOW what we are looking at whereas somebody else might not. We look at them through different "glasses" than others might. We see "promise" where others might see "junk". Different perspectives.

I have seen promising projects turned into "pieces" as the new owner's "life changed" as did priorities of such life. Planned or unplanned, these things do tend to happen.

For a vehicle which has been sitting "for years", it's going to "need everything" before all is said and done. Just reality. No shortcuts, BUT everything does not need to be done "at once" and can be sequenced in a particular order. WHICH MEANS a storage building in which to house the vehicle will be needed, typically, to protect it when it's not being worked on . . . AND to keep the neighbors "at bay" through it all. Sure, they might like cars, but all it can take is ONE complaint to trigger code compliance issues. Even a rented 20x30 storage mini-warehouse can work well, for a price.

Of course, IF a spouse (or future spouse) might be involved, they need to be fully on-board with the issue, too! Everybody needs to be "in it" for the long haul, even if it might mean 5 years. At least, the spouse will know where her husband is that way!

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Back