Is this Monaco worth $2500?

Barracuda
Neither car is a true concourse resto but I drive my cars a lot so that would be a waste .
IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1063.jpeg

Must have been a couple different steering wheels. 3 spoke vs rim-blow? Monaco vs Polara? US car vs CAN car?

I wonder if there's a FT code for the clock? Same question for bumper guards.

Something doesn't look right with the rad bulkhead behind the battery, like part of it is missing.

My car never had a certicard. I wonder if that was a US vs CAN thing?

Amazing how well the lower trim holds up over time in the right climate. That's Monaco 500 trim isin't it? Maybe the steering wheel comes with the trim? There's something round on the lower dash, to the left of the vent pull handle, above one of the guages, what is it?

Car was left in gear when it was parked? Or just shifted later at some point.
M
I'd buy that car for around that price. I would fix and drive it the way it is. Then keep fixing stuff as the years go on. It will always be worth more than you paid.
I would not get into the 100 point perfect resto trap. If that is what you like/interested in then find a better car to start with, too hard to make that car that way.
It could be made into a really nice driver/cruiser to enjoy making road trips without the worry of some fly shitting on the hood or some such nonsense.
My thoughts exactly. Just a nice clean driver. I'd put a couple grand into the seat upholstery and just clean the rest up. I've got some 15" Keystones I could put on it.. but I do like the stock hubcaps.. not sure, probably the Keystones until I could get lucky enough to find some original rally wheels..

20231008_121128.jpg

20231008_121046.jpg

20231008_121609.jpg

20231008_120727.jpg

20231008_120759.jpg

Screenshot_20231015_085932_Photos.jpg

N
So have you bought it yet ?
Forget All this chatter about it being to much money . Its NOT!

My 68 Barracuda was an empty shell and I paid $700 15 years ago . My 69 340 4sp Dart Swinger had no drive train or front suspension and nasty interior with Camaro seats . I paid $1200 for it .
Im into the Barracuda about $17k and the Dart maybe $20 . $12k of that is the 408 W2 Solid Roller engine . $2500 for a unique car with all the parts is a steal ! Most of the trim can be refurbished with elbow grease and enginuity.

View attachment 622406View attachment 622407

View attachment 622408
No not yet. The guy has a '69 Fury that supposedly cleaner that I'm going to look at. I'm hoping to make a package deal. I'll post pics and info when I see that car too.

N
So have you bought it yet ?
Forget All this chatter about it being to much money . Its NOT!

My 68 Barracuda was an empty shell and I paid $700 15 years ago . My 69 340 4sp Dart Swinger had no drive train or front suspension and nasty interior with Camaro seats . I paid $1200 for it .
Im into the Barracuda about $17k and the Dart maybe $20 . $12k of that is the 408 W2 Solid Roller engine . $2500 for a unique car with all the parts is a steal ! Most of the trim can be refurbished with elbow grease and enginuity.

View attachment 622406View attachment 622407

View attachment 622408
No not yet. The guy has a '69 Fury that's supposedly cleaner that I'm going to look at. I'm hoping to make a package deal. I'll post pics and info when I see that car too
Beautiful cars you have there!

Is the Monaco's windshield all cracked up? That brings the car down to $1500 from $2500 in my opinion. The dash pad is all cracked up - that's a major downer.

On cars that have sat a while in unprotected areas (open to the public) you'd better check the torsion bars aren't broken (kids will jump on these cars and bounce them around). Could have also been used for target practice.

Would that have been because it was a 3 on the tree? I have seen that before.
No, in the illustration in the service manual, it is for an automatic shift console. No mention of anything but an automatic console in the parts book.

CBODY67

Is the Monaco's windshield all cracked up? That brings the car down to $1500 from $2500 in my opinion. The dash pad is all cracked up - that's a major downer.

On cars that have sat a while in unprotected areas (open to the public) you'd better check the torsion bars aren't broken (kids will jump on these cars and bounce them around). Could have also been used for target practice.
Yes the windshield is toast. The torsion bars are good, and the dash pad is shot as you can see. I could creative with the dash pad so that doesn't concern me as much. The body all around (metal) is about a 7 ,out of 10 imo.
A guy would just have to get creative to spruce this car up without going "Concourse" on it. I believe it's a 3-5k investment on top of the purchase price to make this a nice little driver. Of course as we all know.. plans and budgets can change rapidly.
I really do appreciate everyone's input, advice and suggestions on this post. I had a '68 Sport Fury for a couple of years but haven't owned Mopars for the most part, though I love them. I'm a car guy and I love all the brands. It seems like this particular model isn't around as much as the others which is why I reached out for some input.
I told the owner of this car that I was going to give him the money for it but that I wanted to see his '69 Fury 1 first..
If I decided to pass on this car, is there anyone else who'd be interested in it at $2500?
I think it's worth it however if I like that Fury I'd be getting a bit deep in my "projects" and my wife likely wouldn't be very impressed with my purchases!
Each time I look at this car I like it more.. the decision is going to be tough if I like that Fury.
Question #2: I'm new in here so if I get that Fury, would I post it here or somewhere else?

I have access to this car and I'm the one who's taking the pictures. Are there any specific shots that I should take to post here to help determine value/condition? Unfortunately I can't get into the trunk which of course is a concern.. I don't believe there is a key at this time. From what I can see from underneath around the fuel tank, me personally, I'd take the gamble on it being about the same as everything else as far as condition/rust potential.
Where's the best reliable/quality source for these cars for things like headliners?

The frame or channel under the rear window is known to rust on these cars. The rear fenders also will rust - the lower edge and the back side going up to meet the trunk floor. The trim might be hiding the condition of the sheet metal all along the sides of the car. Not having the keys - for ignition and trunk (?) also lowers the value.

Does the seller have proper title to this car?

If this turns into a parts car, I'd love to have a few things, starting with the steering wheel.

> I'm new in here so if I get that Fury, would I post it here or somewhere else?

Yes, the '69 Fury is also a C-body.

Yes the windshield is toast. The torsion bars are good, and the dash pad is shot as you can see. I could creative with the dash pad so that doesn't concern me as much. The body all around (metal) is about a 7 ,out of 10 imo.
A guy would just have to get creative to spruce this car up without going "Concourse" on it. I believe it's a 3-5k investment on top of the purchase price to make this a nice little driver. Of course as we all know.. plans and budgets can change rapidly.
I really do appreciate everyone's input, advice and suggestions on this post. I had a '68 Sport Fury for a couple of years but haven't owned Mopars for the most part, though I love them. I'm a car guy and I love all the brands. It seems like this particular model isn't around as much as the others which is why I reached out for some input.
I told the owner of this car that I was going to give him the money for it but that I wanted to see his '69 Fury 1 first..
If I decided to pass on this car, is there anyone else who'd be interested in it at $2500?
I think it's worth it however if I like that Fury I'd be getting a bit deep in my "projects" and my wife likely wouldn't be very impressed with my purchases!
Each time I look at this car I like it more.. the decision is going to be tough if I like that Fury.
Question #2: I'm new in here so if I get that Fury, would I post it here or somewhere else?
It's not common by any means. I sold my running and driving '68 Monaco 500 for $2300 back in 2021. The engine was tired and needed a rebuild, as did the transmission but both got me where I needed to be and never let me down. It had all the trim, a huge bonus. The windshield was cracked, but came with a replacement. The gasket was hard to find, and may be an issue for you if you need one. It did have rust at the bottom of the driver's side rear window, and matching rust in the trunk, extension and quarter panel. Interior was decent, but starting to show it's age. It was an awesome car, but needed money. @polara71 said I should restore it, but it wasn't where my heart lies. It would have been a stunner, much like this '67 could be. It all boils down to what you really want. This car will need plenty of love and money thrown at it to get it roadworthy, so I'd only buy it you have to have it.

Last edited:
Well fellas, it's a done deal at $1600. When I get it home next weekend I'll start some cleaning up and we'll see how it looks. We'll get under the carpet to see the floors, in the trunk and all the other places of interest up close. I feel good about the deal.. I might make a youtube video and share the link when it's time to see about getting it started.
I feel good about the purchase

Well fellas, it's a done deal at $1600. When I get it home next weekend I'll start some cleaning up and we'll see how it looks. We'll get under the carpet to see the floors, in the trunk and all the other places of interest up close. I feel good about the deal.. I might make a youtube video and share the link when it's time to see about getting it started.
Congratulations! That's a fair price IMO for that car with today's market. Start a thread in the Members Restoration forum, even if it's just a Scruffy driver. Then post a link to your youboob video in that thread. Look ⏩ rward to following along.

I think you've got the situation figured out.
And I don't think it will coast another 5k to get it usable. Not if the drive train is good.
Wrap the door panels, cover the dash with whatever.....
Brakes are probably going to be $300, if the booster is good.
$300 for the tank. And your Keystones have good tires on them? The whole front end ain't going to be bad, not all of it, just a few parts.

As mentioned earlier, I've been putting the $100 front and rear leather seats from the early 2000 Buicks in pre 69 cars because they have all the seat belts, head restraint and electrics built into the front seats.

The fury was cool.. but not what I was hoping. Here's some pictures.. this is a runner

20231015_165155.jpg

20231015_165544.jpg

20231015_165552.jpg

20231015_165358.jpg

20231015_165427.jpg

20231015_165333.jpg

20231015_165427.jpg

That Fury looks like a solid starting point for someone.
No fancy power stuff to worry about, it's about as simple as they come for someone who wants an old car to play with.
It will never be something you would be afraid to drive and enjoy.

I'm purchasing this Monaco 500 for $2500.. it's been sitting since '94. It's in Montana, we don't salt our roads so the rust underneath is minimal.. it's extremely dirty inside and the upholstery is pretty rough, it'll need the seats re-upolstered and a headliner which is torn and sagging. The floors are solid and there's a small soft spot in the trunk from what I can tell as I do not have a key to open it at this point. The taillights are cracked beyond fixing and the front grille is broken in a few spots but is repairable. This would be a driver.
Am I starting right for the money? I like these long 2 door cars.. the doors shut very well.. it just seems like a solid car.
It was green originally and painted black at some point. The one picture posted underneath is Representative of what it looks like under there.. I have lot's more photos all around.
Just looking for some insight and thoughts as I'm not familiar with these cars. I'm wondering how finding some of the parts that I'll need (such as taillight lenses) will be. If you're curious of any specific area I can post more photos.
..thanks guys
-Chris

View attachment 621673

View attachment 621674

View attachment 621675

View attachment 621676

View attachment 621677

View attachment 621678

View attachment 621679

View attachment 621681
Great design inside and out, factory AC, if it's solid, what's not to like! Clean it up and chip away at the restoration, it is well worth it if you like it. Many beautiful cars at shows right now were resurrected from this condition or much worse. The original paint color is great imo, if I have the right color per the FF1 code

Screenshot_20231016_075948_Google.jpg

A 1967 Dupont color sheet I have shows this as the only light green color for all Chrysler corp models:

172.JPG

I probably should scan this to get the color right. It's identified as "Mint Green" (Chrysler), "Haze Green" (Imperial), and just "Light Green" for Dodge and Plymouth.

My roof is probably that color:

green-top.jpg

Unless my info is wrong, Chrysler had just 2 green exterior colors (and 2 shades of turquoise) in '67.

Wow a speeder slant with no power nothing. That's the car advertised in the Sunday paper at low, low price, and when you stopped by on Monday it was sold and you got up sold.
Not that it’s a C body, but I nabbed a car like you describe back in July, 2015.

It’s a Ford Fiesta S. Not one option. 1.6l 4 cylinder with a 5 speed. Manual crank windows, no remote control anything.

I also snagged 6 years at 0% financing on the entire purchase price, including the 7 year, 70k mile extended warranty. I also got 14% off the price as I had the Ford X plan deal.

Car is still running great at 103k miles. I had to replace the timing belt, otherwise, gas and consumables (tires, light bulbs).

It gets 40 mpg on the highway.

Back