Is this steering boot good?

SF-66TC

Reaction score
Removed the steering box and awaiting replacement unit.
Looking at the ORANGE boot, if its NOT a tight fit around the shaft I was wondering if I need to replace it. I assume the container holds grease inside and was just thinking of pumping it full of grease and be done with it. What say yo-

-Steven

2016-01-23%2015_opt.jpg

Last edited:
its not so much to keep the grease in as it is to keep the dirt out...personaly if l couldn't replace it wouldn't feel badly about giving it a decent grease without it comeing past seal and poping that puppy back in there...don't wana overfill it

its not so much to keep the grease in as it is to keep the dirt out...personaly if l couldn't replace it wouldn't feel badly about giving it a decent grease without it comeing past seal and poping that puppy back in there...don't wana overfill it
The seal is a replaceable part from Steer & Gear where I"m getting the rebuilt steering box from, but if it doesn't need replacement why spend the $$
2116- REBUILD KIT - OEM SEAL BOOT. CONTAINS RETAINER COVER, BOTH SHOES, SHOE SPRING AND PIN. $28 (1 LB)

-Steven

Last edited:
The seal is a replaceable part from Steer & Gear where I"m getting the rebuilt steering box from, but if it doesn't need replacement why spend the $$
2116- REBUILD KIT - OEM SEAL BOOT. CONTAINS RETAINER COVER, BOTH SHOES, SHOE SPRING AND PIN. $28 (1 LB)

-Steven

I'm usually the opposite approach... if your there and it doesn't require creative financing, why not... at worst you wont have to do it again, at best you may accidently eliminate your next problem.

I'm usually the opposite approach... if your there and it doesn't require creative financing, why not... at worst you wont have to do it again, at best you may accidently eliminate your next problem.

Thanks Cantflip and I couldn't agree more, but my original question was whether this seal is suppose to fit snug around the shaft and if it wasn't as my photo showed, was it necessary to replace it. The rubber itself is soft, not brittle nor shows no signs of tearing so I guess I don't see the need to replace it. You'd figure I've come this far so why not... I'm probably just being lazy LOL!

It moves around on the shaft in and out, should not be clamped or stuck in one spot but also not have a big gap to let contaminates in.

I would probably leave it as long as pot coupler is tight. Since you have it out you can give it a turn back and forth holding the pot to see if there is any play without any other parts to muddy the water. If it feels tight and moves in and out it is good, if it makes you feel better you can uncrimp the top retainer pull it and the seal up the shaft some, pull the pot off, watch which way the shoes are on there for reassembly and clean and grease it.

Back