Is this the correct antenna? 70 Fury

Triple Pickle

Reaction score
Is this the correct antenna for a 1970 Fury I with AM radio? It seems pretty elaborate and out of place to me. It’s a tad loose in the hole as well but I see no signs of damage to the paint surrounding it that would indicate it being messed with. Thanks in advance!

1338B61D-9658-4E51-B003-278B303585B8.jpeg

EAA9F622-51EE-457E-AE65-F135C41681E3.jpeg

Nope. The factory had plain antennas.
That’s what I was thinking. And they were tougher than woodpecker lips too. Hard to figure why anyone would go to the trouble of putting this moonraker on here, but being that the radio was the only thing they optioned to buy, maybe reception was important to them.

I had a Dart that was optioned with a 225, TorqueFlite and a tinted windshield. The story goes that his daughter talked him into getting the AM radio. When I bought the car it had a pivoting antenna that tightened with a screw. Accessory antennas must have been a bigger thing back then.

I had a Dart that was optioned with a 225, TorqueFlite and a tinted windshield. The story goes that his daughter talked him into getting the AM radio. When I bought the car it had a pivoting antenna that tightened with a screw. Accessory antennas must have been a bigger thing back then.
This one pivots as well. I’m also thinking it would be a pain to change it so it’ll probably stay! Call it “period correct day two modification”. Lol

Hard to figure why anyone would go to the trouble of putting this moonraker on here, but being that the radio was the only thing they optioned to buy, maybe reception was important to them.

Have you ever thought that maybe some butthead broke the original and this was all they could find for a replacement? I've seen it many times!

Yes back in the day idiots would go down the street and clean off all the antennas.

starting on 1968 Chrysler got smart and the antenna mast would unscrew from the base and a new one was a two minute fox.

how many times when people remove the RF fender. The antenna cable got cut off. Too many times.

I seem to recall them not being so easily snapped off. I figured if it did get broken,they could have just screwed another one in it unless the threads were broken off in it.
It’s ugly,but for now I’m going to leave it. Might add a ground plane kit to it later…

That definitely is a period-correct spring-mast aftermarket antenna. People who drove where there were lots of low-hanging branches tended to like those antennas as the normal masts would break off or get bent. That particular style of antenna fixed that.

There were some replacement masts for the screw-in masts which were that style, too, but a little pricey compared to the normal 3-section mast antenna. The 31" stainless steel mast was the best way to go. There were also some 3-section masts which were teardrop shaped to decrease wind whistle by the mast, usually on GM cars of that time.

There was a comment in "Motor Trend" (or similar) back when the stainless steel masts came out that some teen-aged males in some northern cities would walk down the sidewalk and karate chop the normal mast antennas, breaking them off. Allegedly, when they tried that on a 31" stainless steel antenna mast the first time, it came back "to bite them" rather than breaking off. FWIW.

The 31" length was supposed to be optimum for FM radio reception, which was becoming a popular option (even stereo multiplex) in those later 1960s times. Best way to ensure the customer got good reception was to optimize the antenna length, non-adjustable.

Just some recollections,
CBODY67

Well, this isn’t right either. Now it’s eating at me. I see Murray Park has one. Does anyone know how big of a job it is to change it? Can it be unplugged from the radio by reaching up from underneath? My car is non AC so that might help.

6509683F-17E2-4006-BD2F-85BC61846CD9.jpeg

The telescoping antenna would bend or break really easily. The one piece stainless is the way to go. The thing is, you need the correct mounting bezel for the Fury, so the antenna will be vertical. Bezel is shaped to fit the fender contour.
There is an eBay seller with a repro telescoping kit for $95.

Well, this isn’t right either. Now it’s eating at me. I see Murray Park has one. Does anyone know how big of a job it is to change it? Can it be unplugged from the radio by reaching up from underneath? My car is non AC so that might help.

View attachment 575584
I was unable to reach the base without removing the wheel well. After that, the job was cake.

Do they make just a replacement mast? Thats all I need. Maybe I'll solder a few hangers together into a helicoil. BTW looks like most other places selling that antenna pkg for $100.

Do they make just a replacement mast? Thats all I need. Maybe I'll solder a few hangers together into a helicoil. BTW looks like most other places selling that antenna pkg for $100.
I've never heard of a new replacement, but if b-body is same, you could check Year One. Then try to figure out how to get it cheaper.
Used sources
@70 Sport Suburban
Murray Park, OH
Wildcat Auto, Oregon
Desert Valley Auto, Arizona

Back