It's Fu#@!*% Cold!

Ohhh Fffuggggeee.....
fudge-oh.gif

50+ pile up on the 402. I'm hearing on the scanner that they've closed the entire stretch from Sarnia to London, probably Bluewater bridge is closed or no point having trucks cross into Canada from there. Lots of people spending the night at local arenas. Heavy tows have been taken off the roads.

Problem is, we've had it too warm up till now. Ground hasn't gotten cold, and then we get this deep freeze air mass. You can't put enough salt down to deal with this. In previous years the same 402 stretch was wrecked by blizzard, huge snow dumps. This time the amount of actual snow is pretty low. Very little snow, maybe an inch or 2 all day, but the extreme change in temp is the problem.

Last edited:
It's blowing out here, that winter storm hit me. Rain last night, switching to snow and then the wind started. 20-25 mph with gusts in the 40's - 50's mph. The snow isn't sticking really with the wind, nice white outs and drifts. I got home early afternoon and will be hunkered down until tomorrow afternoon. 6 degrees out + the wind, not as cold as some of you guy's

Alright, I'm gonna quit bitching about our 21 degrees with wind chill of around 0 here on the gulf coast. I've seen snow several times when we were north of Phoenix but I've never had to wrap water spigots, then hit them with a butane torch to fill the horse water buckets.

I and my family hit the highway from Roanoke VA to Elizabethown KY, my home town, yesterday morning. At 6:55 am it was 41 degrees. By the time we reached WV border it was 20. Just outside of Huntington it was -3. West Virginia knows how to keep their roads clean. It still sucked in some areas, but subzero temps and snow freezing to the roads as soon as it hits it didn't help. When we finally hit KY all snow plows seemingly disappeared. We did spot one sitting on the side of the highway with the rear most wheels, hub, drum and all somewhere in the ditch it was parked next to. Just the brake shoes hanging on. We managed to get to Lexington around 2:30 pm, normally the trip would've been over by now. The highways and interstates just got worse. The temp was now up to 2 degrees. 3 hours later we finally pulled into my dad's driveway. No major traffic jams during our trip on our side of the road at least. Just slow travels.
Why go through all this? I lost my mother on April 1 last year, my 97 year old grandmother followed her on June 16. It was worth all of it to see my dad's face and him realizing he wasn't going to spend his first Christmas without his mother alone.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
If you're traveling, be safe and take it easy.
If you're Home, say prayers, send good vibes, or whatever you're into so that the rest of us return safe.
As for me, God bless us Everyone!

Yesterday was a little warmer than Friday, low teens but wind chill still in the negatives. Late afternoon the snow picked up again and visibility went into the toilet again. Temps came up today, mid teens and the wind finally died down to low teens. No blowing snow today though

I’ve spoken too soon. After a 5 year drought it has not stopped raining for the last 15 days.
10 day forecast calls for non stop rain!!!! Flooding everywhere already. I’m safe for now,but 10 more days of rain????
In Northern California it was +67
here today. I had to put on a hoodie for (awhile) while working outside on cars. Sometimes we get some light frost in the morning!!!
Last time it snowed here was about 25 years ago.
There are many reasons to want
to leave California.
The weather isn’t one them.!!!!!
I do believe we pay some kinda of sunshine taxes though!!
It’s also why it’s beacon to homeless encampments.

I’ve spoken too soon. After a 5 year drought it has not stopped raining for the last 15 days.
10 day forecast calls for non stop rain!!!! Flooding everywhere already. I’m safe for now,but 10 more days of rain????
I was wondering if you started on the ark yet…

Having lived in Detroit for 2 1/2 years many decades ago now, I have learned to be fine with whatever mother nature throws our way out here. The hots are getting hotter and the colds are getting colder and the tornados, hurricanes etc. are growing as well in intensity and frequency. This is what happens when we shove problems down a rat hole rather than try to solve them and convince ourselves that what we see right in front of us doesn't really exist.

This is the Nearby Monticello Dam spillway. Only used about every 10-15 years.
In a very short time it’s gone from empty to overflowing.
Quite the site to see in operation. Kinds creeps me out a bit!

68DF5F2A-68A4-4A87-8FD1-ACBF53C9D184.jpeg

56C88780-468B-4DFE-AB00-608D695468DD.jpeg

185D6E27-ADEF-4217-A414-6C5C66F058FD.jpeg

624B5F84-9FDF-4B48-A20C-A0D08125A37A.jpeg

D01A419B-37C3-4FC8-BD51-DD00D7BE835E.jpeg

9C5E3083-DF25-4EFE-ADF3-F308F161E41A.jpeg

Having lived in Detroit for 2 1/2 years many decades ago now, I have learned to be fine with whatever mother nature throws our way out here. The hots are getting hotter and the colds are getting colder and the tornados, hurricanes etc. are growing as well in intensity and frequency. This is what happens when we shove problems down a rat hole rather than try to solve them and convince ourselves that what we see right in front of us doesn't really exist.
Southwest Michigan is warmer so far this winter. We’ve had more rain than snow.

Back