Jacking up the Beast... never thought I'd have to ask...

Melifluonze

Reaction score
So, I've got my '67 New Yorker up on a jack on the K frame (in front of the oil pan). I'm staring at the underside trying to figure out where to put the jack stands... I tried placing them under the front frame members on either side, but, when I lower it it seems like there's too much weight in front to have them there! The whole car is changing position!!! The car is solid, that's not the problem...

Is this the right place, or is there a secret here??? Yikes!

- M

I've set mine under the cross member , the lower control arms or the frame rail just before they rise up into the engine bay

When under the frame rails, does the front of the car come down alarmingly when you remove the jack? Is that "droop" ok? Maybe I'm just not used to it, coming from a Dart...

I try to keep them as far forward as possible, I suppose at the front body mounts.. look at it this way. If you had it on a lift where would they put the front arms?

Some visualization may help.
Like what was said, anywhere from the front crossmember and forward.
As you can see, the front stub frame (no K-member) is as rugged as a battleship.

2010_IMG_4053.jpg

Ok, so my feelings are on the money, don't place the stands under the sections of what look like frame near the hinges of the front doors...

Under the body mounts. You can't move them much further forward or the jack stand will slip up into the wheel well

Ok, so my feelings are on the money, don't place the stands under the sections of what look like frame near the hinges of the front doors...
Those outriggers aren't the most optimum place in the world but they are usually the only place accessible to the arms when using a lift. And millions of the cars have been on lifts innumerable times.

0900c15280251495.gif

Lose the board. It will be much more secure if the frame is down on the jack.

After you do that, grab the bumper and give it a sideways shake. It may move a little... don't let it scare you. That "settles" it on the jack stands.

Is that jack stand a quality piece? I do not like the looks of it, just my opinion.

Back