John Schneider on General Lee clones

You can clearly see the Inland shifter handle when the camera is pointed up to Bill's face when he is manuvering the car around the city streets when they lose Steve McQueen before he reappears in the mirror.
That's the scene I was thinking of, I plan on watching the DVD tonight.

I would guess separate pedals for the brakes would be for stunt driving. If you’re flying along, and lock up the rear brakes, you can bring the back of the car around quickly, punch the throttle, and take off in the opposite direction.
First time I saw this happen was in 1979. I was 18 and hanging out with a buddy of mine in a nearby town. There were a couple of nice looking girls he knew riding around in a Pinto Cruizin Wagon. She’d fly down a vacant side street at night, pull the hand brake fast while keeping the button held in, so she could release it quickly, bring the car around and floor it. The girls were underage, wanted us to buy beer and go riding around with them. We passed on that - nothing but trouble in our eyes, but they put on a good show!

We used to do that in my friends VW beetle and named the maneuver “doing a Kowalski”, until we finally rolled it over one complete time landing back on the wheels. That was the last Kowalski that I remember.

One of my favorite things in The Rockford Files was that stunt.

Can’t recall it in Vanishing Point ... about time to rewatch anyway!

Back