Kids, Kars and why I don't butcher them.

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
(kids either).

I just had a profound weekend and thought I'd share a few thoughts.

Each Friday there is a local cruise night that I haven't attended due to foul weather every Friday for a month. I decided to roll in two days ago, albeit a little late because my whitewalls were not up to snuff, so I had to spend some quality time with a hose. I took my 4 y/o daughter with me; she seems to like cars. (I sometimes wonder how odd her view of things automotive will be, being surrounded with original cars from 1951 until current, but with no one making a big fuss about how "old" anything is... She doesn't seem to perceive a difference since we use them all as cars.)

Anyway, back to rolling into the cruise night. You've probably all experienced it... Hearing stupid little under-breath comments about "what a boat", "man that thing is big", blah, blah. It's not that I care (because I don't) but it just reinforces that I don't really fit in their little mouth-breathing click of "musclecardum" and sitting in lawn chairs. So we park and walk around. I spot at least one car I see often and absolutely love. It looks exactly like this, but shinier, nicer and without a bunch of crap in the windows.

1976-mercury-grand-marquis-art-kurgin.jpg

Anyway, if you recall they have this cool emblem on the headlamp door...

18rj01dvl20iejpg.jpg

Little kid eyesight amazes me. She runs right over to it and says "Lions Daddy! But these are skeleton faces! I don't like skeletons!" It makes me laugh because I was about 4 when my uncle bought a car just like the one above, but in copper/chocolate tones. I remember discovering those emblems as well. Either that, or I've handed-off some mild form of autism.

Anyway, the cruise night is the usual crowd of old men waxing their GTOs and I'm not really feeling it (to put it mildly), but I run into a friend who isn't really a car guy. I think he was only there to connect with someone else. He says, "Hey, I wanna run the engine on my (actual) boat a little, you guys wanna come with me?" Out of surprise I just instinctively say "Naw, but thanks..." Then it hits me that:

1) I live 2 miles from a big lake but don't own a boat and know few people who do, so this chance won't come again.

2) Same for my kid, with even fewer friends with boats.

3) Beautiful night for a boat ride.

So we said "buh-bye" to the cruise night and made room for two more late model vettes. We had an absolute blast out on the water. When we pulled back into the slip, I was taking a few shots of my daughter and thought the car behind her looked like a scene from a 1970s ad.

boats_zpstxrkaofi.jpg

She was whipped from the night and passed out as soon as I plopped her in the car. I live two freakin' miles from the Marina and can do it all on super-quiet side streets. So call CPS on me, but this is how she arrived. Many good memories of doing it myself.

backseat_zpsumjlqsfu.jpg

I then started thinking what a shame it would be if that car was butchered into a famous moviecar, derbied or made into some other form of donk-clownmobile. Nope, it's just a good ol' car doing its job.

Fast-forward to tonight and I'm moving my wife's '78 NYB Salon into the latest form of rental house garage storage (for the first time). I need to concentrate on NOT knocking down a wall with its massive prow, so I put her in the front seat with me. This allows me to be sure she isn't exploring the wheels as I drive forward at .05 MPH. Guess what she notices?

brougham_zps1rmc5wjl.jpg

"Daddy! Lions in this car too! Roar!" Advantage Mopar BTW, since these lions don't have scary skeleton faces.

36954343292_4032e0cf91_b.jpg

Anyways, I suppose watching her notice all the details and the calming, nostalgic effect they have on me vs. hideous modern insect cars is a big reason why I own them and enjoy using them so much. You just wouldn't have these moments if they were trailer queens or modified beyond recognition.

Just a thought for the night.

Last edited:
Good for you.

My kids grew up in the back seat of various cars over the years and I'll even bet they have more miles in the back of an A12 Roadrunner than anyone else in the planet. They both love the old cars, especially the old Mopars.

Nice on all accounts. I’m a Mopar and c-body guy because my grandma had the good sense to buy a brand new 74 Monaco Brougham with a 440.

It is fun to pass these things on. I hope my Mopars rub off on my nieces and nephews.

I think the future of the automobile seems kind of boring...hopefully though my daughter will remember what it was like to actually drive a car.

IMG_2406.JPG

When I was taking my '67 Newport Fastop to our car club meetings and such, one night we knew the Dallas Mopar Club would be cruising to a Sonic Drive-In in nearby Denton, TX. So, after our club meeting, we planned on meeting them up there. It was about 8:30pm when we got there, so all of the parking slots were filled with their cars and some customers' cars. So we started the route through the drive-in. Near the turn-around at the back, there was a 30-something man standing there with his young son. The man was smiling at seeing all of the Mopars grid-locking the place, then moving when it was possible. But as I got there, the son took notice of how long the distance was from where I was sitting in the car and how far it was from the back bumper. He was awestuck. I smiled as did his dad. I knew how long those "quarter panels for days" were as I'd waxed them recently.

As for my reply to the "boat" comments, I'd counter with "Nah. Turn the steering wheel for a turn and it stays flat, no leaning like a boat does. Fords of that era had "nautical handling". Then some of the "spectators younger than me" would comment about their grand-parents having had a car like that. OUCH! 40 years later, I'm "that age", but not then.

GREAT that you're making these memories for you daughter with a "more doors" body style, too! Keep up the good work!

CBODY67

Well said Carmine! Love the picture of your daughter sleeping in the back seat, just like old times when I was a kid.

Daddy’s little girl. She’s beautiful. You got me a little sad, though. I’m thinking of my boy when he was little. I loved taking him places with me. Pure joy and nothing else like it in this mortal world. He’s 30 now and like they say, they grow up fast.

Excellent post Carmine! I was thinking about you last week and I’m glad to see you surface.:thumbsup:

Brings back memories.....

My nephew and niece use to banter back and forth about who was going to get Uncle Bobby's cars when they were 9 and 10. They use to cry pretty hard when their said it was time to go home. Lol

Great Post, great girl! I had a big '78 Merc like that but two tone silver instead. People miss those big cars like the '69-on Chrysler monsters too. They were all beautiful. Thx for sharing.

(kids either).

I just had a profound weekend and thought I'd share a few thoughts.

On Friday's, there is a local cruise night that I haven't attended due to foul weather every Friday for a month. I decided to roll in two days ago, albeit a little late because my whitewalls were not up to snuff, so I had to spend some quality time with a hose. I took my 4 y/o daughter with me; she seems to like cars. (I sometimes wonder how odd her view of things automotive will be, being surrounded with original cars from 1951 until current, but with no one making a big fuss about how "old" anything is... She doesn't seem to perceive a difference since we use them all as cars.)

Anyway, back to rolling into the cruise night. You've probably all experienced it... Hearing stupid little under-breath comments about "what a boat", "man that thing is big", blah, blah. It's not that I care (because I don't) but it just reinforces that I don't really fit in their little mouth-breathing click of "musclecardum" and sitting in lawn chairs. So we park and walk around. I spot at least one car I see often and absolutely love. It looks exactly like this, but shinier, nicer and without a bunch of crap in the windows.

View attachment 301685

Anyway, if you recall they have this cool emblem on the headlamp door...

View attachment 301696

Little kid eyesight amazes me. She runs right over to it and says "Lions Daddy! But these are skeleton faces! I don't like skeletons!" It makes me laugh because I was about 4 when my uncle bought a car just like the one above, but in copper/chocolate tones. I remember discovering those emblems as well. Either that, or I've handed-off some mild form of autism.

Anyway, the cruise night is the usual crowd of old men waxing their GTOs and I'm not really feeling it (to put it mildly), but I run into a friend who isn't really a car guy. I think he was only there to connect with someone else. He says, "Hey, I wanna run the engine on my (actual) boat a little, you guys wanna come with me?" Out of surprise I just instinctively say "Naw, but thanks..." Then it hits me that:

1) I live 2 miles from a big lake but don't own a boat and know few people who do, so this chance won't come again.

2) Same for my kid, with even fewer friends with boats.

3) Beautiful night for a boat ride.

So we said "buh-bye" to the cruise night and made room for two more late model vettes. We had an absolute blast out on the water. When we pulled back into the slip, I was taking a few shots of my daughter and thought the car behind her looked like a scene from a 1970s ad.

View attachment 301686

She was whipped from the night and passed out as soon as I plopped her in the car. I live two freakin' miles from the Marina and can do it all on super-quiet side streets. So call CPS on me, but this is how she arrived. Many good memories of doing it myself.

View attachment 301687

I then started thinking what a shame it would be if that car was butchered into a famous moviecar, derbied made into some other form of donk-clownmobile. Nope, it's just a good ol' car doing its job.

Fast-forward to tonight and I'm moving my wife's '78 NYB Salon into the latest form of rental house garage storage (for the first time). I need to concentrate on NOT knocking down a wall with its massive prow, so I put her in the front seat with me. This allows me to be sure she isn't exploring the wheels as I drive forward at .05 MPH. Guess what she notices?

View attachment 301688

"Daddy! Lions in this car too! Roar!" Advantage Mopar BTW, since these lions don't have scary skeleton faces.

View attachment 301689

Anyways, I suppose watching her notice all the details and the calming, nostalgic effect they have on me vs. hideous modern insect cars is a big reason why I own them and enjoy using them so much. You just wouldn't have these moments if they were trailer queens or modified beyond recognition.

Just a thought for the night.

Thank you for the beautiful, touching post!

My niece loved riding in the back seat of my
74 RR because of the mufflers right the seat gave rumbled so much.

While I don't ascribe to the no modifications theory.. I do believe in using them and not allowing them to be trailer queens.

20190518_112114_HDR.jpg

Great story Carmine! Both my girls grew up in the Dealership riding in new cars all the time. I didn’t get into this hobby until they left home so they didn’t get the opportunity your little girl did and I regret that. Hopefully I will leave them solid examples of when cars had souls when I leave this earth so they will understand what I loved about them.

An old pic, before paint and stripe/bump strip removal. My son with his daughter.

p?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi221.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd172%2FJohnandSandy%2FIMG_2008_zpsd48daeb3.jpg

Back