Leaf Spring Sag, 1970 Fury Convertible

Fury's with their flat rear wheel arch tend to look saggy even when they aren't. You end up needing some rake to look level. Definitely play with your jack to see what you like.

just some thoughts ..
Does the manual give rear ride height? It would vary with how much fuel is in the tank or contents in the trunk.

I've always been a strong advocate for ESPO. I've installed leafs on 5 different Polaras from ESPO and never had an issue with their products..

You really do need rake ...a little. The 1 inch seems to be the sweet spot. I prefer to use the full 7 leaf .

I have only been able to find the height measurement for the front to set your torsion bars.
Then the rear height becomes a preference thing. Too high you will have positive caster (or is it negative? Anyway your top ball joint is forward of your bottom ball joint) and wander all over the road. Too low you will bottom out on every bump.

It would be negative caster with a jacked back end...

I see what your saying. In looking at it the rear sits about the same as my Fury but I lowered my front end a bit before an alignment so there is a very slight rake. My rear leafs are straight but I am curious where in the factory service manual does it say what the height of the car should be? What do you experts think here, does the rear end look too low or does the front end look too high ,or maybe a little of both??
Very nice car by the way and I am looking forward to your solution and results.
I looked thoroughly thru chapter 17 1970 FSM Springs and Shocks. I found nothing on rear end height,

just some thoughts ..
Does the manual give rear ride height? It would vary with how much fuel is in the tank or contents in the trunk.

I've always been a strong advocate for ESPO. I've installed leafs on 5 different Polaras from ESPO and never had an issue with their products..

You really do need rake ...a little. The 1 inch seems to be the sweet spot. I prefer to use the full 7 leaf .
Hi Dave. Thanks for the advice.
I paid more for the Eaton Springs because all of their springs are made to order in Detroit. ESPO makes some springs in Mexico and some in US, according to their website. New Quality Matched Pair Leaf Springs For Your Car or Light Truck 1940-1990's+
Also, @xxcarguy got excellent results with Eaton on his convertible.
And I liked the Eaton on use of 5160 steel.
EATON Detroit Spring - The leading manufacturer of leaf and coil springs for the street rod and restoration industries
All About 5160 Steel (Properties, Strength, and Uses)

Money is spent now. New 6-leaf springs, stock spec, are on the way to replace my 50 year old 5-leaf springs. I'm hoping they work. It's really a shot in the dark, because everyone says springs are made to stock specs, but no one knows what stock rear height is and the FSM chapter 17 does not specify. I want an extra 5/8" so I guessed new springs with an extra leaf would give me at least that. Ben

Hi Dave. Thanks for the advice.
I paid more for the Eaton Springs because all of their springs are made to order in Detroit. ESPO makes some springs in Mexico and some in US, according to their website. New Quality Matched Pair Leaf Springs For Your Car or Light Truck 1940-1990's+
Also, @xxcarguy got excellent results with Eaton on his convertible.
And I liked the Eaton on use of 5160 steel.
EATON Detroit Spring - The leading manufacturer of leaf and coil springs for the street rod and restoration industries
All About 5160 Steel (Properties, Strength, and Uses)

Money is spent now. New 6-leaf springs, stock spec, are on the way to replace my 50 year old 5-leaf springs. I'm hoping they work. It's really a shot in the dark, because everyone says springs are made to stock specs, but no one knows what stock rear height is and the FSM chapter 17 does not specify. I want an extra 5/8" so I guessed new springs with an extra leaf would give me at least that. Ben

Everyone has their place of preference, thats cool!

I'm glad to see you replacing the springs. If you are driving a old car the suspension is shot if it hasn't been upgraded or replaced.

Adding a leaf doesn't add height as I mentioned in an earlier post. It doesn't add height because they are mounted under the rear not above it. Your springs will be one spring height closer to the ground.

Everyone has their place of preference, thats cool!

I'm glad to see you replacing the springs. If you are driving a old car the suspension is shot if it hasn't been upgraded or replaced.

Adding a leaf doesn't add height as I mentioned in an earlier post. It doesn't add height because they are mounted under the rear not above it. Your springs will be one spring height closer to the ground.
I hope 50 years of spring sag makes up for that. We'll have to wait and see.
May be it does level out. Then I can focus on getting a body man to fix the rust at the right rear quarter.

@1970FuryConv -- have you received the springs and, if so, have you installed them? It'd be great if you could post exactly which ones you ordered, how long the order took for completion, and what else you got from Eaton (did you get their installation kit, for example). Thanks!

Yes I got the install kit in case something broke
Springs are 1 inch over stock height.
All fit with no trouble.
Used all My original hardware except rubber bushings.
It took 23 days to get them.

86E87B52-672A-4A5C-9B07-EEB265736635.jpeg

A66E776D-843E-4A75-B1D2-DB9203BA5475.jpeg

0E033BDD-FA49-447C-A36F-F1593FB835CE.jpeg

ABC2C5E1-3DFF-4429-8C15-3C6DCD1D6718.jpeg

FB660127-FF5B-46E6-896E-D9E11896923D.jpeg

B6014F64-42AD-4A29-A031-D9B066C96208.jpeg

BA014CC0-0615-42E7-8D67-A319E69AD043.jpeg

C18CEE3F-8321-49E2-9820-E8EFEE135774.jpeg

AC11C17D-EC48-4A17-B5D3-01012947B1B6.jpeg

Thank you @xxcarguy -- but I think the shackles for fuselage C-bodies are not symmetrical, which is why I wonder.

@1970FuryConv You really want to take some care removing and replacing the shackles. Contrary to listings, they are NOT being made, reproduced, available new or NOS etc.. Best you can do is find another used pair if you break the ones you have.

That means, soak everything first at the very least... Buy a nut splitter and split the nuts is the best way around it (IMHO) . It's a few bucks well spent for a good tool to have in your box anyway.

Looks good Galen. I believe I will go with the 2 inch arch because...well, Theresa and I are...well... above average size people

Looks good Galen. I believe I will go with the 2 inch arch because...well, Theresa and I are...well... above average size people

I think that's a bad idea. . Redo the front suspension and nice shocks all around. Perhaps raise the bars a little. One inch is perfect .

Back