Leaking pinion seal

TNT440

Reaction score
I bought a 489 case at Carlisle a few years back with 323 sure grip. Turns out the pinion seal leaks. Was going to change the seal without replacing crush sleeve by measuring rotational torque before disassembly and putting back to the same spec. Using a beam type inch pound wrench I was only getting about 4 inch pounds and that is with the axles in (drums off). Now I'm feeling like it needs to come apart. Looking for any advice I can get with this issue, if it is an issue.

Just match that rotational torque after you reassemble.
I measure the torque to remove the nut with a beam torque wrench. Then put it back to a number significantly lower, measure rotational torque and work up to it.
Crush sleeve ensures proper bearing preload, you just want to get back to that ballpark then close to where you started.

Understood. I don't know how the previous owner set the preload. It has never been on the road since I got it. 4 inch pounds seems a little loose to me. Some say it should be as high as 20 inch pounds with no axles.

Understood. I don't know how the previous owner set the preload. It has never been on the road since I got it. 4 inch pounds seems a little loose to me. Some say it should be as high as 20 inch pounds with no axles.

Be sure to check the pinion shaft for excessive end play before you get all excited about preloads. Most of the time if a pinion seal is leaking it is because there is excessive play due to wear or an improper setup after a bearing replacement.

Dave

No noticeable end play. My concern is potentially improper bearing preload setup. On the other hand this may have never been disassembled. Just trying to get opinions on whether or not the 4 inch pound rotational torque is acceptable or normal.

No noticeable end play. My concern is potentially improper bearing preload setup. On the other hand this may have never been disassembled. Just trying to get opinions on whether or not the 4 inch pound rotational torque is acceptable or normal.

Usually 6-9 in/lbs with used bearings. Be sure to check the yoke for a groove where the seal rides as that can also cause a leak. The low end in/lb torque wrenches are spendy, might want to rent or borrow one.

Dave

A few years ago, I discovered that many newer axles don't use a crush sleeve, but a solid spacer and the pinion nut is torqued to a particular value. Measuring the existing crush sleeve's length would be important, I suspect.

What does the gear pattern on the ring gear look like when using "gear marking compound"?

Isn't there a dial indicator spec for the "lash"?

I strongly concur about the old seal putting "a line" on the shaft's wear surface. Some replacement brands move the seal's lip forward or rearward enough so that the replacement seal is on "new metal" rather than "in the groove", as I understand it.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back