Left Hand Studs

livininharrow --
Tried to send you a GREAT message --
But your inbox is full........
Yours, Craig, Mobile Parts.

Try the Fastenal Franchise. They carry a large amount of obscure fasteners. A left hand stud should be no problem. Myself, not being an absolute purist would just convert to R/H. Unless you show at a National or Concurs level, most would never pay the least bit of attention. If Joe Expert at a local show busts your chops ask him to show you his entry at the show-they disappear faster than free Hellephant engines.

@Zymurgy - Thanks so much for your generous offer. I pressed out the bad ones a couple of days ago. I will dig them out from the trash and send you pictures if that's OK.

The biggest problem with leaving a car with the wheels off is that I notice so many other little things I could take care of "while I'm already there". This brake job is gradually turning into a front end rebuild, LOL! Got to get the wheels back on before I go bust! :)
Preaching to the choir! I'll start one thing and "mission creep" get's involved. Carb rebuild becomes cam, intake, carb., air cleaner, and valve covers. and

Try the Fastenal Franchise. They carry a large amount of obscure fasteners. A left hand stud should be no problem. Myself, not being an absolute purist would just convert to R/H. Unless you show at a National or Concurs level, most would never pay the least bit of attention. If Joe Expert at a local show busts your chops ask him to show you his entry at the show-they disappear faster than free Hellephant engines.

Maybe someone that has been in a Pebble Beach type event can confirm, but do they actually pull hubcaps to check for that? It would then follow that the wheels come off too, to verify the drums and shoes are "correct" also.

I don't think they are quite that anal retentive myself.

Kevin

@NewportRbod @twostick - I hear you, but actually my decision to stay with LH has nothing to do with purism and everything to do with the practicalities of my life: I only have so much time each week to "play with cars". I do all of my own work other than milling and upholstery, and replacing two or three studs is faster than replacing all ten unless I'm willing to do a sloppy job. Which I'm not. (That's where my anal retentiveness comes in!) Eventually I will do a disc brake conversion, and that would be the right time for me to go RH. Couldn't care less about car shows since I don't show my cars. Me, I just like to drive!

Just uses rights. Saves twisted off stripped studs in the future.

Kevin
Had a mechanic use the impact wrench on my LF tire. Said the nuts wouldn't come off. Told him they were left handed threads. Next day I was leaving a parking lot when the studs broke and destroyed the fender while the tire kept rolling down the street without the car. Definitely swap them with right handed studs and nuts. Do the left rear too. It's not something you want to experience. It only costs around $15 for the studs and nuts. Very cheap insurance. Make sure you stop and retorque them a few times after driving a couple miles. Simple job to do in your driveway.

@NewportRbod @twostick - I hear you, but actually my decision to stay with LH has nothing to do with purism and everything to do with the practicalities of my life: I only have so much time each week to "play with cars". I do all of my own work other than milling and upholstery, and replacing two or three studs is faster than replacing all ten unless I'm willing to do a sloppy job. Which I'm not. (That's where my anal retentiveness comes in!) Eventually I will do a disc brake conversion, and that would be the right time for me to go RH. Couldn't care less about car shows since I don't show my cars. Me, I just like to drive!
Make sure the mechanic knows they are left handed when you have brakes or tires worked on. Write it in big letters on the service order.

If I have my car worked on I have them type it on the work order, once printed I have them highlight it, then sign under it, I then tell them to personally tell the technician. They scowl and tell me they know what they are doing.

Even after that I had the tell me they are having difficulties getting a wheel off, I said I guess you don't know what you are doing? he just turned and went back to the shop.

Alan

Last I Needed them for my A-100 I got them from NAPA. Had to order them

Back