Let's see some Wagons!

The smell. That rotting Sun-baked Mopar interior plastic smell.

Smells like…victory…

I wish it did.

My '72 Monaco wagon smells like B.O. Really bad B.O.

Still kicking myself for not getting every piece of plastic from the junkyard near me before they crushed it all. They had a bunch of '72-'73 wagons with black and green interiors that were in great shape. I think I attempted it once and all the screws were rusted solid. By the time I returned again, they were all gone.

Jeff

A few pictures of my wagon -
Resized_20211223_160922.JPEG
Resized_20211223_160933.JPEG
Resized_20211223_161006.JPEG
Resized_20211223_160949.JPEG

Still waiting for it to show up in Cali..

I wish it did.

My '72 Monaco wagon smells like B.O. Really bad B.O.

Still kicking myself for not getting every piece of plastic from the junkyard near me before they crushed it all. They had a bunch of '72-'73 wagons with black and green interiors that were in great shape. I think I attempted it once and all the screws were rusted solid. By the time I returned again, they were all gone.

Jeff
Sorry to hear that. A moment of silence is in order…

SEM paint can go a long way to fixing the plastic cargo panels…tolerably. Understand, a lot depends on where the car has been “rotting”. Maybe up in Canada the panels are less sunbaked and will clean up easier?

If you are crazy- passionate, you can pull out all the plastics and send them to Just Dashes. But, that will not be cheap. It all depends on how far you want to go.

Sorry to hear that. A moment of silence is in order…

SEM paint can go a long way to fixing the plastic cargo panels…tolerably. Understand, a lot depends on where the car has been “rotting”. Maybe up in Canada the panels are less sunbaked and will clean up easier?

The Monaco spent most of it's life in Boise Idaho and the back panels are pretty much cooked. I don't think they have any of the grain left on much of them. I do have a better set from another car.

Back when I had the opportunity to get all those panels out of the junkyard I was not aware of how bad they deteriorated. I had my '72 Fury wagon at the time and the panels in it were just about perfect. That's on a car that wasn't garage kept and was actually junked at one point in it's life.

I suspect that they could be reproduced out of fiberglass without a whole lot of effort. It's something I hope to look into some day. It seems like these fiberglass guys can whip up a mold in a matter of a few hours when it comes to making fairly simple parts.

As you mentioned, it should also be possible to cover them in vinyl. If one could find a thin and stretchy vinyl, it may even be a DIY job.

A friend of mine in England uses rot-stopper for wood on the panels. If you have a crusty one, it will soak in and stabilize the plastic. Then you can paint it with interior paint.

He did a '73 Fury from Texas and the panels came out quite nice.

wagon cargo trim.JPG

Jeff

Trev I gotta admit, your wagon has got me craving a 69 Dodge!
Jeff I'm not sure if I've seen pics of your wagons, please post a couple! Especially your 72.
And Scott, we need to see more pics of your pristine Monaco!

I got nothin’, man. It’s s’posed to get warm here in the South the next couple days. I’ve been thinking I need to get it out and stick a wreath on the grille and snap a Christmas pic. Need to do that.

I’ve done a few “tidy up” tasks that were part of the wrap up, but not that photographically interesting…just little trim bits that needed re-attaching.

True Confessions. I’ve kind of been hankering for a ‘60 Imperial. But it would probably be helpful if I, uh, got a job… before attempting another project. That whole positive cash flow thing. I saw that two door 60 Imperial funeral “Flower Car” “truck” elsewhere on here and was fascinated. I could throw bikes in the back on a summer day. Hmm.

I probably do NOT have adequate appreciation for the modern amenities I enjoy with front disc brakes and an alternator (vs. generator) and valves that don’t require leaded gas to stay ‘lubricated’….

That would look so nice parked next to my Roadmaster. The Roadmaster looks darker in the photo, but they are really close.

IMG_4852.JPG

Jeff

That's quite unusual.

I assume it's a flower car, but the way they did the back has me a bit confused.

Jeff

If I could get a 1960 Imperial wagon (hearse?) which was never made (wagon) or else unicorn rare (hearse), I would. I saw an early 70’s Cadillac wagon online (not a hearse), it was beautiful.

That's quite unusual.

I assume it's a flower car, but the way they did the back has me a bit confused.

Jeff
I think some flower cars have covered cargo areas, if they have to go at highway speeds.

Also, sometimes they can be used as hearses.

makes them a bit more “all weather”.

Back