Locked up electric washer motor....

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

Has anyone dealt with a seized washer pump? The electric motor part seems operable, but something is stuck elsewhere. If it went together in 1965 it can come part in 2019, but I'm open to a workaround to get it going again if you have one. Thanks!

Most of the time when they get stuck it is because something is broken inside the pump, so it is probably junk. Replacements are still available on E-Bay.

Dave

Repops for Mopar are expensive, while the same repop for a 65 Mustang is way cheaper, and unless someone looks for the pentastar and part number with a magnifying glass, no one will know.

AS it's a stand-along pump mounted near the reservoir, not very visible and should be easy to make a more universal pump work with a bit more rubber hose. They'll probably ask where the CertiCard is before they'll ever think to look about that pump.

CBODY67

I keep forgetting to look and see if I have a certicard under my hood somewhere.

Redirecting this thread from "Where my Certicard might be"... lol.

I decided to respectfully ignore the advice to throw the date-coded, Mopar built-in-the-USA washer pump away and tore it apart to see if i could repair it. Simple design. Motor on one end, pump on the other connected by a strip metal driveshaft. In my case the pump had just stuck from non-use. A little persuasion with my small vice-grips, some oil and 5 minutes later it was pumping like new.

I'm a little disappointed in you guys. Remember...when something is non-working, you have NOTHING to lose and everything to gain by attempting to fix it. Those repro's on eBay are nearly $80 and they aren't even made the right way. The ground strip goes UNDER the rubber foot, not over it. As I said on the A-body board, you don't realize how average most repops are until you compare them to the original. On stuff this old, I replace a part only when there's no other choice, and then with an NOS or NORS part. I rebuild the correct 2095150 starters right here at my kitchen table.

Regards,
Tyler

SANY0055.JPG

Glad you got it working. Careful about lumping everyone in the same boat as I never suggested you throw yours away. :lol: All I did was suggest you look beyond the Mopar repros and look at other repros that are essentially the same unit but since they're not directed at the Mopar crowd are way cheaper (last time I looked)! Trying to save you money, and with my part Scott's I certainly would do the same thing as you did in trying to see first if I could get my original working before shelling out for a repro.

Glad you got everything freed-up! As you probably noticed, those pumps are very simple in design and build. Which makes that Chrysler stamp in the outer metal on the pump very expensive. Probably date-coded too? MORE money if the particular code is what you might need!

Hope you put some good lube on the bushings where the pump shaft turns! Always good to rebuild what you can, IF it's worth rebuilding.

CBODY67

I decided to respectfully ignore the advice to throw the date-coded, Mopar built-in-the-USA washer pump away and tore it apart to see if i could repair it. Simple design. Motor on one end, pump on the other connected by a strip metal driveshaft. In my case the pump had just stuck from non-use. A little persuasion with my small vice-grips, some oil and 5 minutes later it was pumping like new.

Glad you got it working.

Nobody said to throw it away or not try to fix it.

I'm a little disappointed in you guys. Remember...when something is non-working, you have NOTHING to lose and everything to gain by attempting to fix it.

Here's the thing... When someone here asks for advice on something that seems pretty simple, we all tend to assume that the OP is really unsure of what they are doing. In other words, the capable guys just do it. I've torn a couple of these apart and ended up tossing them because they were broken or corroded past fixing. It's not rocket surgery and as you say, "nothing to lose".

I've also rebuilt starters and alternators. Easy stuff for me, but I grew up around it and honestly, I'm kinda cheap. Not everyone is like that though.

How about some pics and description of what you've done to repair the pump? That would be helpful to the next guy faced with a stuck pump that would love to keep the original part. Myself, I love to keep the original stuff when it's practical and love to see when others do the same and not climb on the repop offshore parts bandwagon.

Why did you post original if you know how to fix it?
You should have posted a thread on how you fixed it instead of coming over here and being a pretentious PITA. Guess you did not want to get chastised by 40,000 others on FABO so you figured you would come over to the stepchild sight and fish for arguments or compliments which ever you can get, just as long as someone is paying attention to you. Well you got it, happy!

Why did you post original if you know how to fix it?
You should have posted a thread on how you fixed it instead of coming over here and being a pretentious PITA. Guess you did not want to get chastised by 40,000 others on FABO so you figured you would come over to the stepchild sight and fish for arguments or compliments which ever you can get, just as long as someone is paying attention to you. Well you got it, happy!

I didn't know how to fix it! I didn't even have the cover off of it when I posted my question. But, I don't give up easily and everyone started talking about Certicards, so I figured I had depleted the available knowledge base. I decided to see what happened to it.
In my case the pump had just stuck from non-use. A little persuasion with my small vice-grips, some oil and 5 minutes later it was pumping like new.
That's how I fixed it. Freed it up, lubed the motor and the pump bushings and it's golden.

I 'get" the snippy comments about date codes...and you're right. I just went to the Land of Overpriced NOS Parts, aka eBay, and searched for an NOS Electric washer pump. I couldn't find one and if I had, it probably would be about 300 clams. The repops are generic, offshore junk and I'm not having them on my car. I'm not building my car for people that don't pay attention to things like that...I'm building it for ME who sleeps better at night knowing the original Mopar script, part number and date-code is hiding snugly against the fenderwall.

As far as the comment about the A-body forum...I don't go there either, because it's the same thing in greater amounts. The general population resents anyone presents anyone stating facts for any or all of the following reasons 1. It ends the thread before it can veer off onto another totally unrelated subject 2. It ends the thread before someone can start an arguement 3. It tells the OP and the other dreamers the ugly facts instead of the better answer they were fishing for. SlantSlantDan simply stated the facts without regard for saving anyone's pride, like here, and he constantly had "enemies". If "40,000 people" want to chastise me, 40,000 can stick it up their collective a**es and stew in their own juices.

Anyhow, I post a lot of Mopar repair videos where I TEACH myself how to repair different things on Youtube if you are interested. Otherwise, I'm going to dial back my participation here because I am NOT going to have arguments and drama in my threads. If you don't know how to fix something, say you don't know how and I'll be glad to help you figure it out. Good day.

I didn't know how to fix it! I didn't even have the cover off of it when I posted my question. But, I don't give up easily and everyone started talking about Certicards, so I figured I had depleted the available knowledge base. I decided to see what happened to it. That's how I fixed it. Freed it up, lubed the motor and the pump bushings and it's golden.

I 'get" the snippy comments about date codes...and you're right. I just went to the Land of Overpriced NOS Parts, aka eBay, and searched for an NOS Electric washer pump. I couldn't find one and if I had, it probably would be about 300 clams. The repops are generic, offshore junk and I'm not having them on my car. I'm not building my car for people that don't pay attention to things like that...I'm building it for ME who sleeps better at night knowing the original Mopar script, part number and date-code is hiding snugly against the fenderwall.

As far as the comment about the A-body forum...I don't go there either, because it's the same thing in greater amounts. The general population resents anyone presents anyone stating facts for any or all of the following reasons 1. It ends the thread before it can veer off onto another totally unrelated subject 2. It ends the thread before someone can start an arguement 3. It tells the OP and the other dreamers the ugly facts instead of the better answer they were fishing for. SlantSlantDan simply stated the facts without regard for saving anyone's pride, like here, and he constantly had "enemies". If "40,000 people" want to chastise me, 40,000 can stick it up their collective a**es and stew in their own juices.

Anyhow, I post a lot of Mopar repair videos where I TEACH myself how to repair different things on Youtube if you are interested. Otherwise, I'm going to dial back my participation here because I am NOT going to have arguments and drama in my threads. If you don't know how to fix something, say you don't know how and I'll be glad to help you figure it out. Good day.
Tyler, take a deep breath. Ok. Welcome to C Bodies Only, we are not the same as FABO, we can police ourselves, and we definitely like to interject on any and every subject. Not everyone's style, but most can get it after a bit.

As for the question hoopla, no one ever said to throw away the old pump, just let you know options for replacing if needed. We get worked up when called out for something we didn't do. Sure, we didn't tell you anything about repairing it, but the thread was fourteen hours and five minutes old, glad we got that much time!

As for going sideways on a thread, it happens here plenty, we usually get back on track fairly quickly.

I thought you got it with that line.

As for tapping the full potential of the forum, you haven't even started. There's plenty of correct parts numbers, Pentastar imprint loving folks like you that have the same love for these cars, isn't that why we are here? If one little thread is going to determine your idea of this place, I think it's a sad way to look at it. This place can open up more doors for you than any other site for C bodies that I've ever come across.

I too wish you would have made the thread a documentation type one with pictures showing the steps, even it's as simple as tying your shoes. It'll help people like me wrecking things by showing me how NOT to act like a bull in a China shop.

Those videos on YouTube, got a link?

Stick around, you might like it, or find another car to add to your fleet, you do have a fleet, don't you? If not, you will if you stay here very long.

Take it easy, and enjoy your car!

I didn't know how to fix it! I didn't even have the cover off of it when I posted my question. But, I don't give up easily and everyone started talking about Certicards, so I figured I had depleted the available knowledge base. I decided to see what happened to it. That's how I fixed it. Freed it up, lubed the motor and the pump bushings and it's golden.

I think the majority of us want less drama. The threads do wander around a little and I'm as guilty as the others. The good thing is it does keep the thread viable with the cross talk making the thread stay at the top. That's one you have to roll with and occasionally a friendly "back on point" comment isn't going to upset anyone.

If you didn't know how to do it, that's great and again glad you could get it working. Yep, the knowledge base on washer pumps got depleted fast. I wasn't going to respond because I never had one that could be fixed so I didn't bother. You never know... Lot's of these guys here aren't online as much as some others are... Someone may have been there done that. Sometimes it's a waiting game.

I do agree that many times the OP doesn't want to hear the truth... IMHO, some just want the easy answer and don't want to do the legwork and/or diagnostics to help themselves or even to help us help them.

So... Anyway... You say you have a YouTube channel. Got a link? A lot of us would love to see it.

I'm a little disappointed in you guys. Remember...when something is non-working, you have NOTHING to lose and everything to gain by attempting to fix it. Those repro's on eBay are nearly $80 and they aren't even made the right way. The ground strip goes UNDER the rubber foot, not over it. As I said on the A-body board, you don't realize how average most repops are until you compare them to the original. On stuff this old, I replace a part only when there's no other choice, and then with an NOS or NORS part. I rebuild the correct 2095150 starters right here at my kitchen table.

Regards,
Tyler

View attachment 263108

Back in the early '70's when I was still a fresh faced new tech and these cars were still fairly new, the washer pump was about a $15 item. We were billing shop time at about $30-$35 per hour. The shop flat rate manual gave about .5 hours to R&R one of these pumps. If we stopped to take the pump apart and clean it out, that was worth another about another .5 hours. Point being the customer would still have a used pump that might or might not last and have as much cost if we just replaced it with a new unit. When somebody brings a car in to a dealer shop, they have a full right to expect a quality repair at a competitive price that will be as good as new.

Yes, sometimes a pump would just need cleaning, but the economics dictated that it did not make any sense to do so. You got lucky and were able to repair your pump and it will probably work for a while, so good for you.

Dave

Last edited:
Yep, what's the link to your YouTube channel?

Look up Tyler's Neighborhood Garage. I have been watching his channel since I bought my Fury. I have learned a lot of stuff about Mopars from his channel and this forum. He was doing videos on his Fury convertible which I would like to see more of. Lately, he's doing a lot on his 300. I have enjoyed watching him fix it up.

Love his 300

Back