Long time C body enthusiast with project on hold, may have to sell --

P.S. you write the best long posts I have ever seen.

Please use this forum as a relaxation tool and stay with this car even if the project stays mothballed for now

I HAVE to expand these pics man

I hope it doesn't sell, your job works out better than imagined and you keep and some day finish this car ... with another 4 speed.
Oh Lord no not that! I already went through Project Pluto one time, I'd rather have a stall converter and an HD racing automatic. Oh wait, that's what this car has now. :)

P.S. you write the best long posts I have ever seen.

Please use this forum as a relaxation tool and stay with this car even if the project stays mothballed for now
Thanks for the kind words. When I quit working in a couple of years I'd like to get into writing to make some extra money. I've done a couple of magazine articles a few years ago - one of them I co-wrote with someone else and we split $1500 for it. A small sidebar I added to it got me another $150.

I guess what happens with the Sport Fury is going to depend on a few things. I started this project without realizing that all two car garages are not created equal, and moved from a house with a 24x24 garage to this one of only 18x21. When I retire we're looking at moving to places hundreds of miles from here and in that part of the country houses don't even have basements, so my Fury would take up an entire two car garage with car and extra parts and not leave much room to work on anything. My wife and I hadn't anticipated becoming parents so far along in life and that coupled with retirement prospects puts a big dent in money but also time to do this car up the way I intended. My vision for it was a beautiful big C body that sat two inches higher in the back and one higher in the front than stock, and when the engine gets started it makes Millner's coupe (from American Graffiti) sound tame.

Hey, I have a Sport Fury GT story!... In about 1975 when I was driving my 71 SFGT and it was still all stock I went to a little hamburger place in the town where I lived in IL. I bought a couple burgers and was eating in my car, when I glanced across the lot and saw... another 71 Sport Fury GT! With a grand total of 375 of them built, two of them ended up in the same little burger joint at the same time. I HAD to see this. Mine was dark metallic green, a gold metallic to the green that worked better than the silver metallic I've seen - mine had gold stripes and no vinyl roof. The other car as I recall was either white with red stripes or red w/white stripes and from where I sat it looked good. I walked across the lot to check it out, nobody was in it - and I was worried that 'oh no, I don't want a nicer one than mine staring at me!' I got all the way up to it to where I could see the other side of the car; the whole thing was caved in like someone had hit it and driven the length of it from end to end. So I didn't have to worry, mine was way better than that. Never saw that car again.

Another story: my best friend, I've known him since 3rd grade and been best friends since freshman high school (46 years ago, ugh!) had an older sister with a 71 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland and it was pretty peppy. 4 barrel, dual exhaust, probably 300 hp, very little smog stuff. My 71 GT was still stock which at the time was a 370hp rating. We were in an industrial area on a weekend and there was nobody around, and he challenged me to a race. I tried to beg off, I hadn't checked the plugs lately, etc., that sort of thing, but finally I relented. And I BEAT him. I couldn't believe it - I still remember pounding on the GT's steering wheel and yelling 'YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!' That car, even when it was stock with the automatic and 3.23 gears could chirp the tires every time on a wide open shift to second at about 40mph. Well maybe it chirped one tire, but it did it.

The whitewall tires were not my idea, when I bought it the dealer put tires on it for me and they were supposed to put the whitewalls facing in but obviously didn't.
71FuryCrop.JPG

Can you imagine opening a garage and seeing that? What a 'cars in barns' story it would make. But that was my GT, I rented a garage to keep it in and it sort of got treated like a big table by the guy who owned the place. Look at the rectangular trims on top of the front fenders; the front ones had the turn signals. I think I have a set of the front ones with the signals in my parts inventory.
gtgarage.JPG

I always liked the profile of the open side windows on that body style. I have a pair of the little elbow-shaped chromes that are at the lower rear corners of the back seat windows, so I could ditch the vinyl roof on the 70 Sport Fury. To me that body style always looked like the vinyl roof was an afterthought for the body design.
71GTsidewindows.JPG

All right, I just thought of one more story. Last one I promise.
It was Palm Sunday of 1975 and I wanted to go to the drag strip with my friends in Lake Geneva Wisconsin. My parents were both huge church-goers and my mom insisted that no, it's Palm Sunday, you're not going to the drag strip. I was 18 but still living in their house and I was NOT happy. So all right I went to church but I went in MY car. Church got out and my mom said 'We're going out for breakfast - do you want to come with us?' The answer was NO.

So I took a long way home with the Sport Fury GT, came barrelling down the street, skidded past the newspaper box, shifted into reverse, smoked the tire(s) backwards and overshot the paperbox again, shifted to low, punched it, skidded up to the paper box, got the Sunday paper, again tore up the tires backing up to our driveway, then lit 'em up making the turn into the driveway, which went around to the back of the house....

...where my parents were getting out of their Oldsmobile having decided to stop home before going to get breakfast, and they heard me and the SFGT's performance out by the street. My dad asked me if I felt better after having done that, and I just said 'I don't know' but turned down the repeated offer to go to breakfast. I guess I shook up my folks that day because later my dad told me that in the future if I wanted to go to church, or the drag strip, it was up to me to decide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. When I quit working in a couple of years I'd like to get into writing to make some extra money. I've done a couple of magazine articles a few years ago - one of them I co-wrote with someone else and we split $1500 for it. A small sidebar I added to it got me another $150.

I guess what happens with the Sport Fury is going to depend on a few things. I started this project without realizing that all two car garages are not created equal, and moved from a house with a 24x24 garage to this one of only 18x21. When I retire we're looking at moving to places hundreds of miles from here and in that part of the country houses don't even have basements, so my Fury would take up an entire two car garage with car and extra parts and not leave much room to work on anything. My wife and I hadn't anticipated becoming parents so far along in life and that coupled with retirement prospects puts a big dent in money but also time to do this car up the way I intended. My vision for it was a beautiful big C body that sat two inches higher in the back and one higher in the front than stock, and when the engine gets started it makes Millner's coupe (from American Graffiti) sound tame.

Hey, I have a Sport Fury GT story!... In about 1975 when I was driving my 71 SFGT and it was still all stock I went to a little hamburger place in the town where I lived in IL. I bought a couple burgers and was eating in my car, when I glanced across the lot and saw... another 71 Sport Fury GT! With a grand total of 375 of them built, two of them ended up in the same little burger joint at the same time. I HAD to see this. Mine was dark metallic green, a gold metallic to the green that worked better than the silver metallic I've seen - mine had gold stripes and no vinyl roof. The other car as I recall was either white with red stripes or red w/white stripes and from where I sat it looked good. I walked across the lot to check it out, nobody was in it - and I was worried that 'oh no, I don't want a nicer one than mine staring at me!' I got all the way up to it to where I could see the other side of the car; the whole thing was caved in like someone had hit it and driven the length of it from end to end. So I didn't have to worry, mine was way better than that. Never saw that car again.

Another story: my best friend, I've known him since 3rd grade and been best friends since freshman high school (46 years ago, ugh!) had an older sister with a 71 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland and it was pretty peppy. 4 barrel, dual exhaust, probably 300 hp, very little smog stuff. My 71 GT was still stock which at the time was a 370hp rating. We were in an industrial area on a weekend and there was nobody around, and he challenged me to a race. I tried to beg off, I hadn't checked the plugs lately, etc., that sort of thing, but finally I relented. And I BEAT him. I couldn't believe it - I still remember pounding on the GT's steering wheel and yelling 'YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!' That car, even when it was stock with the automatic and 3.23 gears could chirp the tires every time on a wide open shift to second at about 40mph. Well maybe it chirped one tire, but it did it.

The whitewall tires were not my idea, when I bought it the dealer put tires on it for me and they were supposed to put the whitewalls facing in but obviously didn't.
View attachment 84832

Can you imagine opening a garage and seeing that? What a 'cars in barns' story it would make. But that was my GT, I rented a garage to keep it in and it sort of got treated like a big table by the guy who owned the place. Look at the rectangular trims on top of the front fenders; the front ones had the turn signals. I think I have a set of the front ones with the signals in my parts inventory.
View attachment 84834

I always liked the profile of the open side windows on that body style. I have a pair of the little elbow-shaped chromes that are at the lower rear corners of the back seat windows, so I could ditch the vinyl roof on the 70 Sport Fury. To me that body style always looked like the vinyl roof was an afterthought for the body design.
View attachment 84835

All right, I just thought of one more story. Last one I promise.
It was Palm Sunday of 1975 and I wanted to go to the drag strip with my friends in Lake Geneva Wisconsin. My parents were both huge church-goers and my mom insisted that no, it's Palm Sunday, you're not going to the drag strip. I was 18 but still living in their house and I was NOT happy. So all right I went to church but I went in MY car. Church got out and my mom said 'We're going out for breakfast - do you want to come with us?' The answer was NO.

So I took a long way home with the Sport Fury GT, came barrelling down the street, skidded past the newspaper box, shifted into reverse, smoked the tire(s) backwards and overshot the paperbox again, shifted to low, punched it, skidded up to the paper box, got the Sunday paper, again tore up the tires backing up to our driveway, then lit 'em up making the turn into the driveway, which went around to the back of the house....

...where my parents were getting out of their Oldsmobile having decided to stop home before going to get breakfast, and they heard me and the SFGT's performance out by the street. My dad asked me if I felt better after having done that, and I just said 'I don't know' but turned down the repeated offer to go to breakfast. I guess I shook up my folks that day because later my dad told me that in the future if I wanted to go to church, or the drag strip, it was up to me to decide.

see ... this is good for you

and us

Thanks. Hey, I had bought this intake setup for my car but sold it and went to a Performer RPM intake and Edelbrock carb setup. I was going to paint the manifold of course. I was thinking it was a 6 pack setup but now that I see the photos obviously it was dual quads. However not as good as the Performer so I sold it. Pretty though.
I had a mechanical progressive linkage setup for it, pretty nifty.
dualdualquad.JPG

Nice to be able to place storys to some of the pics lve seen over the last few years....

Ever see this article?
article.jpg

Or this one?
ARTICLE1.jpg

How about this one? Sport Fury with a HEMI:
600HPFury.jpg

FURYGT1.JPG

Here's a couple shots of my friend Bill's Fury's. He has several including an original V-code 70 (6 pack) getting a total resto. His white one is very low mileage, the black is a beauty also. One thing that makes me like the 71 model year more than the 70 is the 71's base 440 came with 370hp instead of 350 and I drove both, the 71 was definitely stronger with the extra 20hp. No 71's are ever known to have been built with the 440-6 but I've seen a photo of a 71 GT with 440 6pack hood graphics. There were seven V-code 440-6pack 1970 SFGT's built. Only a couple exist.
billscropped.JPG

P8140066.JPG

An incidental shot of the interior of the white SFGT above - nice!
P5280077.JPG

An interesting side note, yes the GT in 71 was powered by a 370hp 440 motor which sounds like 5hp less than the previous year HP 4bbl, but 1971 was the year that they went to net horsepower ratings, so in fact the car got a horsepower boost, the motor was in fact probably putting out 390+ horsepower by 1970 standards and with a 4bbl to boot.

First welcome to the site. Secondly what a great heartfelt write up, how wonderful it was to read all of your threads and all the responses. Thirdly what a great memory, you are Blessed.Please try to hang on to your Fury, you and your son deserve it. Best of Luck,look forward to reading more. Thank You!

An interesting side note, yes the GT in 71 was powered by a 370hp 440 motor which sounds like 5hp less than the previous year HP 4bbl, but 1971 was the year that they went to net horsepower ratings, so in fact the car got a horsepower boost, the motor was in fact probably putting out 390+ horsepower by 1970 standards and with a 4bbl to boot.

They went to net in 1972. In 71 the 370 H.P. is still gross .. incidentally the compression had been dropped from 10.1 in 69 to 9.7 in 70 - 71

1972 was the big compression drop ... 8.2 for 440s with 245 Net H.P. so the drop in advertised power was due more to the lowered compression than the change from gross to net at the flywheel.

They went to net in 1972. In 71 the 370 H.P. is still gross .. incidentally the compression had been dropped from 10.1 in 69 to 9.7 in 70 - 71

1972 was the big compression drop ... 8.2 for 440s with 245 Net H.P. so the drop in advertised power was due more to the lowered compression than the change from gross to net at the flywheel.
You hit it on the head. Others can reference your accurate post. The 6 pack motor's drop to 330 hp in '72 was mostly due to changing to a net rating, the compression ratio barely changed and was still 10.3, hwhile the 440 4 barrel took a massive hit in actual output beyond just the 'rating' method.

That number is incorrect
You're right - I may have been thinking of how many are known to still exist. I know it's a very small number which remain. I can't help wondering how several dozen others, being so extremely unusual, could have ended up being junked or destroyed. I believe I read that supposedly a couple or several 71's were made with 6 packs but I don't believe that was ever confirmed nor have any turned up.

Back in '74 when I got my '71 GT and realized it was very unusual, I called Chrysler's corporate office and after some digging they told me that my '71 was one of 375 produced that year. Quite rare indeed.

Here is a link to an archived website for the Fury six pack registry:
1970 plymouth Sport Fury GT 440-6 REGISTRY

Want to know something sad? A test of the 440 six pack 1970 SFGT turned a 16.01. Something was wrong with that car. When I raced my '71 I got one run out of it where it ran almost right (the carb floats were set low and it was running out of gas on the top end) and I got a 16.06 out of it, and that was the 4 barrel not the 6 pack. Here she sits at the Lake Geneva drag strip, you can see the shoe polish writing on the windows.
furyfront.jpg

I have a listing of the shipping weights of various Mopars in 70 or 71 and surprisingly the Fury was not that much more than a B-body, only a couple hundred pounds. And people used to always tell me 'you need to put an RV cam in a car that heavy.' BS.

Last edited:
I have a listing of the shipping weights of various Mopars in 70 or 71 and surprisingly the Fury was not that much more than a B-body, only a couple hundred pounds. And people used to always tell me 'you need to put an RV cam in a car that heavy.' BS.

Yeah B and C bodies with the same engine and options as an E are not that much heavier but that's not what people assume. B's are about the same as an E IIR

What makes a car heavier is all the power options that are more often on higher model C's. i.e. if you loaded one out with power seats, power windows, power steering (those sectors are heavy) A/C, 26" rad for the A/C, large group battery, towing package, 3 speed wipers, tilt column, and auto trans over 4 speed in an E let's say. I wonder how much that would all add to a 70-71 Fusey for instance.

From what I've seen most C bodies, at least Sport Fury's, were not ordered with most of those things. About the only thing a C body might have been more likely to have than a B body is air conditioning. Power windows, towing packages etc. are certainly on the minority of cars, while automatic and power steering are likely on the majority of not only C but B bodies.

Well I have an update about my Fury project car... it's been sold lock stock and barrel. I got a $1000 down payment on it and the rest will be paid when everything gets picked up in a month or so. I wanted to keep it and finish it but I can't justify spending the money and I just don't have the time. In two or three years I am possibly looking at relocating, I won't have any more spare money then than I do now and may not even have as much room. (In some parts of the country, houses don't have basements to turn into parts storage areas.) I won't say how much I got for it; I am certainly losing money on the deal but better to take the offer I got now rather than find myself frantically trying to unload it when I'm trying to relocate a couple of years from now, and what it would have taken for me to get another couple thousand bucks for the deal would have been more work and trouble than the extra money would have been worth. This buyer is coming to take it all away right from my driveway. What we agreed on for a price is almost enough to pay for the 2007 HD Sportster I just bought.

The buyer is a true C body lover who owns a few of them, including a 45,000 mile 1970 white /white / blue Sport Fury GT, and an all black one, and an original 6 pack car being totally rebuilt from the unibody out. He stopped by my house last week to check out my Fury stuff and work out a deal, and he was pulling a trailer with his white '70 inside it (bringing it back after showing it out East). While it was loaded into an enclosed trailer and I couldn't get a look at the whole car, I did get a peek at it through the open side door - wow, a 1970 SFGT that is just about new down to the Goodyear Polyglas GT small white letter tires. It's this white car here. It looks as good in person as you could possibly dream of. The stripes are also white so not very easy to see in the photo but rest assured they are there. It's original, it's perfect, I can only wonder how much it might be worth - a mint condition survivor of a low production model from 45 years ago. By the way, it has no AC. I would bet that the original owner made many a trip out to the driveway or garage just to look in pride and happiness at this amazingly beautiful car he had bought.
P8140066.JPG

So in another month or so I'll be out of the Sport Fury business, I'll have a two car garage again and a lot more room in my basement without deck lid, 4 tires / wheels, two front bumpers, one rear bumper, four front fenders, two front bucket seats, two full rear bench seats, and a ton of other goodies. The guy who's buying it all said that while he's got several Fury's they're all restoration cars, and he's always wanted a resto-mod. If you could hear the the rumpety rumpety rumpety idle of the engine in the car I'm selling him you'd say holy cow, the thing sounds like it belongs right on the strip.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I'll miss your long, albeit infrequent posts. I wish things had worked out differently for you and the car but look forward to seeing progress pictures from the new owner who is a member here I think.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement... today my 70 Sport Fury project got picked up and taken to its new home, lock stock and barrel. Between getting the car into the large enclosed trailer and getting all the parts etc. out of the basement and getting them loaded up as well, it took 2 1/2 hours to get me out of the C body business. The buyer said it will be on hold until he finishes up the full resto of his 70 SFGT factory 6 pack car but I know he has the will and the funds to finish up 'my' car which is now his car. I've known the buyer for many years and I'm certain he'll keep me informed. All his C bodies are original / stock and he says he's always wanted a resto-mod, well this one's gonna be a beauty. And it's gonna be QUICK.

There's an old saying:
"Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these - 'It Might Have Been'. "
Well, I suppose it's a lot more likely to 'be' with the new owner than it had a chance with me at this stage, so it's all for the best. I hope in a few years to see it running and driveable and if so I'll be back to post an update and some photos.

IMG_2360[1].JPG

Is the new owner a member here on FCBO?

If not...can you twist his arm to join? We sure would like to keep track of this beauty and see the restoration results as they progress.

Back