Long time C body enthusiast with project on hold, may have to sell --

Want to know something sad? A test of the 440 six pack 1970 SFGT turned a 16.01. Something was wrong with that car. When I raced my '71 I got one run out of it where it ran almost right (the carb floats were set low and it was running out of gas on the top end) and I got a 16.06 out of it, and that was the 4 barrel not the 6 pack.

that was my yellow V code car ..16:01@ 92 mph.. my stock 71 GT PROMO [has a LO-PO 440 "#'s orig engine" and not an HP] ran 14:90@ 92 mph ..so my 6BBL car in that road test magazine article was indeed SICK.. should have been a 14:50 ish car@ 97mph all day.. maybe some day a well tuned V code fury will make some passes....
2003_0922_174318AA.JPG
ses..

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement... today my 70 Sport Fury project got picked up and taken to its new home, lock stock and barrel. Between getting the car into the large enclosed trailer and getting all the parts etc. out of the basement and getting them loaded up as well, it took 2 1/2 hours to get me out of the C body business. The buyer said it will be on hold until he finishes up the full resto of his 70 SFGT factory 6 pack car but I know he has the will and the funds to finish up 'my' car which is now his car. I've known the buyer for many years and I'm certain he'll keep me informed. All his C bodies are original / stock and he says he's always wanted a resto-mod, well this one's gonna be a beauty. And it's gonna be QUICK.

There's an old saying:
"Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these - 'It Might Have Been'. "
Well, I suppose it's a lot more likely to 'be' with the new owner than it had a chance with me at this stage, so it's all for the best. I hope in a few years to see it running and driveable and if so I'll be back to post an update and some photos.

View attachment 95378
must be billy fury..

Want to know something sad? A test of the 440 six pack 1970 SFGT turned a 16.01. Something was wrong with that car. When I raced my '71 I got one run out of it where it ran almost right (the carb floats were set low and it was running out of gas on the top end) and I got a 16.06 out of it, and that was the 4 barrel not the 6 pack.

that was my yellow V code car ..16:01@ 92 mph.. my stock 71 GT PROMO [has a LO-PO 440 "#'s orig engine" and not an HP] ran 14:90@ 92 mph ..so my 6BBL car in that road test magazine article was indeed SICK.. should have been a 14:50 ish car@ 97mph all day.. maybe some day a well tuned V code fury will make some passes....View attachment 168577 ses..

Agree. My '69 300 4drhtp weighed 4460 with me in it (as a skinny kid) and ran a 15.20 @ 92 mph (1989 High School Nations at Milan Dragway). It had a street hemi cam, aluminum intake and Hooker Super Comp headers. That's about 255 hp at the tires.

BTW, that story was kinda sad. Never read it before. Wish the guy coulda kept it.

Back