Looking at a '64 Crown Coupe. Help?

dantheman

Reaction score
Found a '64 coupe in Maine. Owner is asking 10, I think it's worth 1 or 2 less. In overall solid condition. What the owner has described as being wrong in his videos and photos linked below, is 1.) Mirror was knocked off by what I believe he said was a branch during a storm 2.) That same branch dented the roof and fender trim 3.) Was repainted over white, some imperfections 4.) Radio does not work 5.) (and most concerning) The panel between the trunk and rear window looks to be rusted, following the trunk seams all the way to the window. I know it's a common spot, but have never really experienced one with this specific area having rust. Other than that, the small imperfections (seats, headliner, etcetera) speak for themselves. I know most of you are more knowledgeable than I, so your time and any advice is positively welcomed. Photos and videos are linked to a Google Drive folder (44 attachments). Photos sent to me by owner

You are looking at a good 4 to 5 thousand dollars worth of body work...
And that does not include doing anything with the crappy paint job
that I pretty damn sure is hiding a decent amount of previous "body work".....
Guessing about 500$ in parts..
And then figure couple thousand to fix interior...
Copper fuel line is not a good idea..
Rear springs are very tired so at a minimum looking at getting them re-arched...
Have zero idea what that carb is doing there as pretty sure it should have an AFB, not AVS ....

This is what most would call a pig with lipstick..
So unless you absolutely HAVE to have it,, might be best to pass,, as they
are asking 10Gs for it,, it is very doubtful they will come down to a -reasonable- number....

There is better for less....

Last edited:
There is a lot of surface evener showing on the driver's door where the paint is peeling. Prep work on the door frames is very poor and the paint is peeling off in big chunks. Points to a quick and lazy job of painting, Earl Scheib or Miracle quality. There looks to be rust out on the dutch-man panel on both sides that has been bondoed over and that is now failing. Leather is pretty much dried out and needs to be replaced, that will run another $4-$5k. Restoration costs will far exceed the value of this vehicle. Would make a cool daily driver at $2.5K but given the high asking price that is not likely to be acceptable to the seller.

Dave

The rear panel,under rear window (Dutchman panel) looks like the seams are filled in with bondo. It is a removable piece, except on convertibles.

I expected a lot worse by your description and the comments that followed. I think it’s certainly is better than a $2500 car but it’s not worth 10k as is. The interior looks fine in my opinion but I don’t mind cracked leather in my almost 60 year old classics and I have good working radios, am/fm even. More concerning inside is that he was proud of his working antenna, which is great but I didn’t see him moving the windows…
I believe the side view mirror is reproduced or finding a used original isn’t hard, I may have that and possibly the trim on the fender. If I don’t Murray Park definitely does. It was poorly painted and the damage from the roof collapse is unfortunate. It looks like it’s very solid otherwise and I’d say if the windows all work it‘s a 6k dollar car and 5K if they don’t.

I will also ad that my experience with re-arching springs has been very disappointing at best, old clapped out springs are just that.

I expected a lot worse by your description and the comments that followed. I think it’s certainly is better than a $2500 car but it’s not worth 10k as is. The interior looks fine in my opinion but I don’t mind cracked leather in my almost 60 year old classics and I have good working radios, am/fm even. More concerning inside is that he was proud of his working antenna, which is great but I didn’t see him moving the windows…
I believe the side view mirror is reproduced or finding a used original isn’t hard, I may have that and possibly the trim on the fender. If I don’t Murray Park definitely does. It was poorly painted and the damage from the roof collapse is unfortunate. It looks like it’s very solid otherwise and I’d say if the windows all work it‘s a 6k dollar car and 5K if they don’t.
As fate would have it, I was thinking the exact same thing one moment ago, being worth 5-6k at the most. He did state that the driver's side window doesn't work, rear driver's side does, passenger window works, rear passenger's doesn't. I'm aware that the electric motors to each year of Imperial are specific so I assume they should be rebuilt?

That's new to me; could you elaborate on that?
I can't speak for him, but the copper fuel line debate has always been a he-said-she-said kind of thing. Vibration and such causes the copper to harden if improperly or poorly fastened to the frame, and eventually crack over time. Solid copper would have been used because it is far easier to manipulate as opposed to steel lines. However, copper was also used to coat steel lines and prevent them from rusting, but I'm not sure of a way to discern what the composition of the line is.

G'Day,
Copper Lines on a Car are Not a Good Idea.
Any Sort of Vibration & They are Prone to Cracking, Fuels leaks & Fires are the Result.
Also Copper Brake Lines will Balloon or Crack with Resultant Loss of Stopping Power.
Totally Banned in the Mystical Land of OZ.
Regards, Tony.M

As fate would have it, I was thinking the exact same thing one moment ago, being worth 5-6k at the most. He did state that the driver's side window doesn't work, rear driver's side does, passenger window works, rear passenger's doesn't. I'm aware that the electric motors to each year of Imperial are specific so I assume they should be rebuilt?
You’d have to find used originals. I’m still not aware of a rebuilder. One caveat is that if the motor still spins but the window doesn’t move you just need to replace the drive assembly which would be easier to find than used working complete motors.

All I can say is my own experience, I bought a 64 imperial crown 4 door about a year and a half ago
The good
It had spent most of its life in Arizona and had 56,000 miles on it a rebuilt trans and no vinyl top, mostly original paint and was complete and unmolested
The bad
The seats and carpet are toast, the tires were crap, 2 of the power windows worked, had to replace upper and lower control arm bushings, upper ball joints rag joint and strut rod bushings and the radio doesn't work
I paid $6000 for it, it was appraised for $7500 for insurance purposes before I did any work to it, I'm satisfied with my purchase
On yours, what concerns me, anyone that would Bondo the seams on the Dutchman panel, god only knows what else they did to it
While I'm here @detmatt you wouldn't have a working am/ fm radio you'd want to sell would you?

All I can say is my own experience, I bought a 64 imperial crown 4 door about a year and a half ago
The good
It had spent most of its life in Arizona and had 56,000 miles on it a rebuilt trans and no vinyl top, mostly original paint and was complete and unmolested
The bad
The seats and carpet are toast, the tires were crap, 2 of the power windows worked, had to replace upper and lower control arm bushings, upper ball joints rag joint and strut rod bushings and the radio doesn't work
I paid $6000 for it, it was appraised for $7500 for insurance purposes before I did any work to it, I'm satisfied with my purchase
On yours, what concerns me, anyone that would Bondo the seams on the Dutchman panel, god only knows what else they did to it
While I'm here @detmatt you wouldn't have a working am/ fm radio you'd want to sell would you?
I just might, Message me.

Back