Looking for advice + id these rims

Stainless steel might be a bit brittle to use for a wheel. Only steel or an aluminum allow for wheels.
There are "hub centric inserts" you can buy, but not all aftermarket wheels will accept them? As some of the Buick chrome road wheels had the rings installed from the factory.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I don't have the expertise to say that SS can't be used for a wheel, there are some grades of SS that allow significant forming, but I would think the tonnage required to form the thickness and size of a wheel would be pretty high.

Regardless, the factory would never have made a SS wheel, it could never be cost-justified.

Fourteen-inch Road Wheels (or Magnums, as they are commonly called) manufactured before 1969 would have come as chrome-plated wheels without trim rings. These wheels are reproduced and are easy to find. They also come in 15-inch if you want to upgrade your ride from the factory standard 14 x 5½-inch

rims.jpg

Above left: An original 1969-and-later Road Wheel is not chrome, but stainless. The black is semi-gloss and the center stainless is masked off and sprayed between the spokes to create the iconic look. Above center: The stainless center is welded to an outer steel wheel ring that is black, not chrome or stainless. They were only available in 14-inch diameter, even on a Hemi car. Above right: Here is the inside of an original Road Wheel: As you can see the size is stamped into the wheel and is 14 x 5½. This is a date-coded 1970 wheel in fantastic original condition after being soda blasted and then painted.

For my previous comment, I was thinking in terms of the wheel hoop being stainless vs chrome, not the center.

Back