Looking for production info on 62 Newport Coupe 3 Speed

Meloman

Reaction score
Back in the 60’s I owned an all original 62 Newport Coupe, 318 cu in V8 with a single exhaust and a 3 speed factory floor shift. The dash panel on the left where you would normally have the push buttons for the automatic, was blocked off with a chrome plate with the Chrysler logo on it.
How can I find out how many of these were produced ? It was baby blue with similar colored bench seat. I’ve never seen or heard of one like it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Chrysler, like Buick, was a more upscale car brand that mostly sold automatic transmissions. The 3-spd manuals were used a "price leaders" to get a lower base price for the base car.

End result is that the base 3-spd manual transmission had a very low installation rate. "Motor Trend" did a road test of such a Newport for 1963. Their intent was to prove that you could have a more base-equipment car that still had the desirable attributes of the fancier models. On the '63, they used a factory floor shift.

Even MORE rare would be the 318 V-8 in any Chrysler! As the 361 2bbl was the standard engine in the USA.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I own a '62 Chrysler 300 "Sport" Convertible with the three-speed manual transmission, 413 option, no P.S. or P.B. but does have the "Sure-Grip' rear end. Chrysler archives sent me the punch card to confirm some information. I have located no one that can give actual confirmed numbers. I have been told that my car is one of 6 made but cannot confirm that.

100_0391.JPG

Back in the 60’s I owned an all original 62 Newport Coupe, 318 cu in V8 with a single exhaust and a 3 speed factory floor shift. The dash panel on the left where you would normally have the push buttons for the automatic, was blocked off with a chrome plate with the Chrysler logo on it.
How can I find out how many of these were produced ? It was baby blue with similar colored bench seat. I’ve never seen or heard of one like it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Chrysler, like Buick, was a more upscale car brand that mostly sold automatic transmissions. The 3-spd manuals were used a "price leaders" to get a lower base price for the base car.

End result is that the base 3-spd manual transmission had a very low installation rate. "Motor Trend" did a road test of such a Newport for 1963. Their intent was to prove that you could have a more base-equipment car that still had the desirable attributes of the fancier models. On the '63, they used a factory floor shift.

Even MORE rare would be the 318 V-8 in any Chrysler! As the 361 2bbl was the standard engine in the USA.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thanks for the prompt reply. Since my memory isn’t the best, I defer to you on the 361. I knew it wasn’t a 383. It definitely had a 2bbl. Any chance you have a copy of that road test ?

The magazine is archived. Interesting thing is that the ratios in the 3-spd are very similar to the TF ratios. Unlike 6-cyl and small V-8 3-spds which can have lower low gears and about 1.74 2nd gear ratios. In the later 1950s, there were some "close-ratio" 3-speeds with 2.20 low gears and 2nd gear ratios of about 1.20, with of course, 3.73 rear axle ratios, too.

In 1971, they did something similar but with muscle cars. A 1971 Super Beed 383 with a 3-spd manual in this case. That's when I was reminded of how similar the gearing was between that 3-spd and the TF. By that time, 4-spds were the only manual transmission anybody perceived to be credible and desirable. Not to forget how much easier it was to change ATF than clutches, in the case of Chrysler products.

That road test might be online, somewhere. Considering that all of the HOT ROD magazines are now archived on that website, perhaps MOTOR TREND has done the same?

CBODY67

The magazine is archived. Interesting thing is that the ratios in the 3-spd are very similar to the TF ratios. Unlike 6-cyl and small V-8 3-spds which can have lower low gears and about 1.74 2nd gear ratios. In the later 1950s, there were some "close-ratio" 3-speeds with 2.20 low gears and 2nd gear ratios of about 1.20, with of course, 3.73 rear axle ratios, too.

In 1971, they did something similar but with muscle cars. A 1971 Super Beed 383 with a 3-spd manual in this case. That's when I was reminded of how similar the gearing was between that 3-spd and the TF. By that time, 4-spds were the only manual transmission anybody perceived to be credible and desirable. Not to forget how much easier it was to change ATF than clutches, in the case of Chrysler products.

That road test might be online, somewhere. Considering that all of the HOT ROD magazines are now archived on that website, perhaps MOTOR TREND has done the same?

CBODY67
Thanks again. I’ll look for it.

Back