Looking for the name of a part, and for the part itself! (74 Fury)

Seb'74

Reaction score
Hi C-Bodysts,
Again with the French Fury. This time, a part is missing. On the firewall (vehicle cabin side), there is some kind of door or trap that closes the blower motor location next to the heater box assembly (engine bay side). Please have a look at this pic, it will be helpfull :
20201113_165824.jpg

The pic shows the wide round "aperture" or "opening"on the vertical firewall, where there probably should stand some kind of door or trap, and at the bottom, the carpet of the car (for ease of understanding and localisation).
This wide round aperture is just below the dashboard, on the extreme top right side of the firewall (passenger side). Without this door, heating is not operating, because blown air is immediately lost in the car, and does not go through the ducts.
Can anybody give me the name of this missing part, and tell me where can I find one?
Winter is coming in France, :steering: I might need warm air in the next weeks/months :lol:

Thanks for your help!

G'Day,
I Thought All you French Fellas Had Plenty of Cute Little French Sorts to Keep you Warm. LOL
Although I must Admit it does get a Little Chilly with those French Alps Winds Blowing up your Kilt.
Honestly not Familiar with your Problem so I can't Help.
Please Forgive My Cheek.
(Last Fella that gave Me cheek, I told Him he could go & Bite His Left Cheek and I wasn't Talking about the one beside his Nose!)
Tony.M

Is your car ATC or not? Regardless, the air box on your car appears to be broken.

In that spot on my car is a housing with a vacuum pot and air door as part of the ATC system.

Thanks Tony, yes French girls can keep you warm in case of need, but you know what? I married a wonderful Brazilian girl... hahaha :lol:
G'Day,
I Thought All you French Fellas Had Plenty of Cute Little French Sorts to Keep you Warm. LOL
Although I must Admit it does get a Little Chilly with those French Alps Winds Blowing up your Kilt.
Honestly not Familiar with your Problem so I can't Help.
Please Forgive My Cheek.
(Last Fella that gave Me cheek, I told Him he could go & Bite His Left Cheek and I wasn't Talking about the one beside his Nose!)
Tony.M

Is your car ATC or not? Regardless, the air box on your car appears to be broken.

In that spot on my car is a housing with a vacuum pot and air door as part of the ATC system.
Mr C, my car is an international model, sold brand new in France in 1974. The blower motor is the one of an A/C car, but my car is a non-A/C car! Vent controls are not the ones of an A/C car.
Moreover, when I removed the airbox in the engine bay to replace the blower motor, it was in perfect shape. No cracks, not broken anywhere, all screws and nuts at their locations.
So, this missing part might be just like you say, some part of an A/C sytem. I can't figure what it is, you gave me precious indication, I'll make searches :)

I'll take a picture tomorrow of my 74 fury non AC car. Maybe it will help you.
:thankyou:Thanks a lot Stern70! My car is non A/C car, but the blower is the one of an A/C car. It's a model made with international specs (sold brand new in France in 74), and was built like that. So, like Mr C said, it might be a missing part of an A/C car. Your pic will anyway be very helpful, can't wait to see it. I did not found any view in the factory service manual :BangHead:

It's a model made with international specs (sold brand new in France in 74), and was built like that.

The fender tag that goes with those international specs would sure be interesting to see!

Yes, extremely interesting: H41 Strato-Ventilation (so no A/C) in combination with P31 Power Windows must surely be a peculiarity of export cars for Europe, cfr. this tag for a 1975 export Gran Fury Brougham, probably also sold new in France:

75-217433-PP43M5D217433.jpg

Your tag is also the first confirmation of the idea that 1974 export Furys for Europe were built at the Newark, DE plant.

Could you post a pic of this spot on your car, especially the part bolted on please?

The fact that your car is an import model is immaterial. Either it is ATC or it is not. Yours is not (H51 vs H53).
Both systems use the same blower motor...the only difference between the systems is how the blower motor speed is controlled.
Obviously something is missing from your heater box. The ATC and manual boxes are similar but different enough that you need to seek manual airbox parts for your car.
I think that there is no point in taking pics of my ATC system as it would only confuse matters, because they are different.

Download a parts manual for this car here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=107

I haven't looked for it, and it may take some patience to find, but I'll almost guarantee the part is listed, probably with an illustration.
Thanks Big_John, I spent 2 hours seekking in the different sections of the manual, but couldn't find anything relevant. I think I'm gonna fix it with some tape Nascar style, or more probably with some piece of metal sharply ajusted, with a seal, and some bolts and nuts.

Thanks Big_John, I spent 2 hours seekking in the different sections of the manual, but couldn't find anything relevant. I think I'm gonna fix it with some tape Nascar style, or more probably with some piece of metal sharply ajusted, with a seal, and some bolts and nuts.
I downloaded the manual and it looks to me that the page with the illustration is missing. The manual is only 50mb and the others are 100+mb, so that tells me the parts manual might be a tad short on pages.

I tried looking in the '73 manual and they do show more, but I didn't find an illustration in the "accessory" section where I would expect it to be. Doesn't mean it's not somewhere else though and it might be worth looking at.

The other thing might be to obtain a good paper copy, or at least ask in the forum here if anyone has a good copy (not the digital download obviously) that they can look it up.

That's the same, I found some illustrations about heating and AC systems, and a lot of regarding interior of cars, but nothing about the firewall (or I did miss?)

I stand corrected...your car has no AC at all if the dash control and plaque are any indication (H41)...losing my sight LOL! Or else I'm getting confused with the different plaques being shown.

Your car however has the dash vents as if it were an AC car...a modification done by swapping the ducts on the dash pad. The big problem with this is that the size of the duct for AC on the dash for AC is larger than for non AC, so without modifications, you'll lose air again.

A non- AC dash has a plug on the instrument cluster simulating vents that are real on AC cars and a plug on the passenger side pad like this:
unnamed.jpg

Back